Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Changing Tranny Fluid ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-01, 06:00 AM
mlevk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing Tranny Fluid ?

Has anyone ever changed the fluid by themselves ?
I have a 91 LS400 and would like to change all
the fluid , not just the fluid in the pan.
Old 09-22-01, 08:48 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Unless you have a flush machine or know how to do it the old fashion way, I'd just drain it. It works just fine, been doint it for years.

Old 09-26-01, 04:50 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

When I asked my service rep if the service department can flash my trans fluid, he told me that they sold their flushing machine because there isn't any need for in on Lexus cars.

Chris K.
95 SC400
Old 09-26-01, 01:14 PM
928owner
Driver

Lightbulb

I wouldn't listen too much to what a "service rep" says, remeber, their job is to sell service. The Owners manual is the bible, and the rest is just interpertation.

BTW, my service rep. told me that the SC400 auto tranny doesn't use a tranny filter or pan gasket, "that is old tecnology" I beleive were his comments. I kept my mouth shut, but thought about the powerglide in my 65 Impala with the "Lexus style" SCREEN, and any mechanic will tell you that using a tube-type sealer (which Lexus will sell you for about $19 a tube) is not a good idea, especially if a big chunk of it breaks off internally and gets sucked up in the "works".

My enlightened opinion of the Lexus "serivce reps" is that they are just better sales people than say the Chevy "service reps."

Remeber, as Clint Eastwood once said, "It's all about cash"......
Old 09-28-01, 09:51 PM
Juan C. Cos

By replacing the fluid (in the pan) every 15K miles, you don't have to worry about draining the converter (not possible without a drain plug anyway, other than flushing the whole system thru the cooler lines). I worry about the mentioned "screen": do we have to remove the pan to clean that sucker? It could be choking the tranny. Has anybody done it, and how dirty was it? mileage?
I just did the whole tranny service on my navigator, and the magnet it has inside the pan had more crap than it could hold (scary if left there forever). I bet most of it came from the assembly process, so it's important to do it at least once IMO. My car has a drain plug in the converter, but I almost ruined the starter trying to line up the darn bolt with the peep hole. Next time I will do it every 15K with the pan only (6.5qt; converter 8), and probably leave the filter there for 30K miles.
Also worth mentioning is that the owner's manual doesn't touch the subject of transmission fluid, not even at 100K miles (a sure oversight), and the capacity is listed at 2 qts, so I don't trust the manual too much folks. What does the service manual say?
Thanks for your responses, and have a great weekend!
Juan Carlos
Old 09-29-01, 07:13 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Guess Ya Didn't Sell After All!!

Juan - Looks like ya didn't sell your GS after all - good decision & glad U're still around here! I cleaned my screen when I installed the T/C ( at 15k ) miles & it wasn't that nasty - the usual metal shavings & band/clutch material. Didn't see a magnet in there so I spot welded one in there myself. I know the Lexus techs say that it's a lifetime mesh filter element but I just can't neglect my tranny like that, especially with a T/C & my hard driving style. Now the fluid amount is anybodies guess!! I start with 5 quarts & then warm the car up & row the gears then add a little at a time until I reach slightly below the full mark. I'm doing basically the same maintenance schedule as U - change the fluid every 15k & clean the screen ( mesh filter) every 30k.
Old 09-29-01, 10:44 AM
Juan C. Cos

Thanks a lot for your thoughts and info Gene. One last set of questions:
Is the gasket on the pan reusable? Any other parts, like drain-plug washers, etc. I need to have in hand when bringing the pan down? Any tricks to remove it?
Finally, where did you buy the tranny oil? Manual specifies ATF type T-IV, and pepboys doesn't carry it. Do I have to buy it from a dealer? If that's the case, I'm giving Steve Ganz a call to order that, along with a few oil filters and an A/C filter (I refuse to give my money to the only -crappy- dealer in town).
Thanks again Gene, and have a great weekend buddy.
Old 09-29-01, 02:29 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Be Careful!

Juan - If U're careful with the old gasket not to tear it, U could reuse it but since they're cheap insurance against leaks I just get new one. I also run a thin bead of PermaTex gasket adhesive as well. Get another drain plug washer as well - the old is OK for about 2 drain cycles but why get caight with your pants down by NOT having one on hand. Go ahead & give Steve some business for the ATF as well. I've talked to Mo extensively about the tranny & he says that the Lexus ATF is a special blend that he's yet to find another that's equal or better to. Sounds like a ringing endorsement, considering the power of his 700+ HP GS!!:eek: I'd also agree with your post elsewhere in this Forum about picking up 2 gallons of the stuff - had a hard time getting the exact level correct so it's better to err on the high side. Besides, the shelf life of the fluid is long.
Old 10-02-01, 06:23 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Juan C. Cos

Also worth mentioning is that the owner's manual doesn't touch the subject of transmission fluid, not even at 100K miles ......What does the service manual say?
PAGE 81 of the 1998 Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement states:

Additional Maintenace Items For Special Operating Conditions:

Replace automatic transmission and differential oil

This is one of 3 extra items included in the SOCs.....

Some may think its a waste, but I plan on having all my services include the SOCs service items....

I like overkill. It's all relative really, but I consider myself an aggressive driver, even more so with the soon to be intake and TC installed