Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

does the sc300 need premium gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-06, 05:00 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i usually dont even look at gas prices when i fill up. I usually just fill up with the good stuff.
Old 04-05-06, 05:34 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Guys you are missing the point .. or I missed the question.

v8 Lexus calls for premium (engine as a whole and ignition system in perticular is designed that way).

There are too many studies done on the subject as to will the premium gas give you better performance/milage/$-worth spending/etc. I wont touch that for reasons I hope you understand

SC300, you dont need the premium. If you want to use higher octane go ahead. For v8 one should use premium.

Salim
Old 04-05-06, 07:02 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lexiss_sc400
Actually it does harm the engines... after prolonged usage of 87 octane on the V8 (in particular) leads to the destruction of your knock sensors, which are $2xx something dollars each, yes you’ll need 2. Then the labor of having to remove the whole intake manifold to get to the 2 sensors...for a pro it’s a minimum 2-hour job. It could take hours for someone who doesn’t know what their doing.
And finally when the sensors go bad and u don’t replace them they will no longer tell the engine to “retard” the timing and thus you begin (and its not anything that will happen with in a day, it will take time) to slowly mess-up you various engine components....
...and where did you get that from? octane rating is only used for detonation purposes so you can run however low of octane as you want until it knocks and then just step it up one. In the winter lower octane fuel burns easier and will run smoother than the longer burning higher rated. When its cold here in ohio i run as low as i can since detonation is much less likely than summer so you can save a few bucks there. I dont know how you got that it ruins knock sensors and the like, the only thing it COULD have an affect on is the o2 sensors and even so it would be from lean conditions from tip in detonation. any car that is mass produced from the factory can run any gas they want without it hurting anything mechanically or electrically, they are idiot proof from the factory. I work at lexus and see cars come in using months old gas that smells like varnish and they still have yet to clog anything nor hurt performance enough for the average driver.
Old 04-05-06, 09:34 PM
Bosco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LazyAlex
ok well..i know the gauges say "premium unleaded only" and so does the gas lid...but is that what they recommened? or what it needs becuase...premium here is $3 a gallon.,..and ya..thts $$..so i was just wondering..i mean..i been pumpin premium..but..if it should be ok to pump regular..or plus..ima start doing that..till gas goes down alittle..any idea? thanks

$3 per gallon for the premium. 89 octaine is what, 10 cents cheaper per gallon? When you fill her up, say 19 gallons, you would be saving about $1.90 every time you fill up, which in my case is about once a week. Not enough savings for me to downgrade.
Old 04-05-06, 10:05 PM
slo86
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

high compression - use high octane
low compression - use low octane

sc300 2jzge is a high compression engine = 91 octane or better
Old 04-06-06, 07:48 AM
BiZ
Intermediate

I can't find 91 octane around here anywhere. The ratings here are 87 then 89 then 93. I have always run 93 octane since the past three cars I have had have been either boosted or high compression. It does stink having to pay extra for the premium but what are we to do.
Old 04-06-06, 02:41 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ????

OK how about a lowerd compresstion SC300 NA-T

20 gal tank @ 87 oct $2.85 = 57
20 gal tank @ 91 oct $3.05 = 61

When your already paying 57 bucks to fill up 4 bucks ain't gunna make a diff.

Last edited by lfrers; 04-06-06 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-06-06, 02:55 PM
Lvangundy

What does the Supra N/A require?
Old 04-06-06, 08:28 PM
slo86
Pole Position

supra na, gs300, sc300 = 2jzge = 10:1 compression ratio = 91octane or better
Old 04-06-06, 10:44 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexiss_sc400
Actually it does harm the engines... after prolonged usage of 87 octane on the V8 (in particular) leads to the destruction of your knock sensors, which are $2xx something dollars each, yes you’ll need 2. Then the labor of having to remove the whole intake manifold to get to the 2 sensors...for a pro it’s a minimum 2-hour job. It could take hours for someone who doesn’t know what their doing.
And finally when the sensors go bad and u don’t replace them they will no longer tell the engine to “retard” the timing and thus you begin (and its not anything that will happen with in a day, it will take time) to slowly mess-up you various engine components....

In your case you’re running a 1jz so I can’t and won’t talk about that because I really have no idea about those engines. But with the mechanical knowledge I have and with the time I’ve spend working on the 3 Lexus V8s we have in my house, I’ve learned a few things….

In my opinion if you want to drive a lex don’t be cheap, pay the extra 5 bucks a tank… If not there’s always civics and even better mopeds u can drive…you can ever put a ½ oil 1/3 gas mixture in those.. and this is not pointed towards VJ RC51.. hes doing his own custom stuff that I give him props for.. these are for the guys rollin a bone stock SC's and cant aford the gas

Great info!!!!!

I do run 91 or higher at all times but I never knew this.
Thanks for the heads up!!!
Old 04-07-06, 04:00 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you guys do some research on octane ratings....its for detonation purposes only! thats why you run higher octane for high boost. the higher the octane the slower the burn cycle so you dont have detonation or non spark enduced uncontrolled fuel burn.

THIS THREAD IS FILLED WITH BAD INFORMATION! i would take all this information with a grain of salt because it definately is all hear-say. do your own research and see what the real reasons are for it. this is why some people can run 18psi and 600+ hp on 91 octane, its all about detonation deturance!
Old 04-08-06, 11:18 AM
slo86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
you guys do some research on octane ratings....its for detonation purposes only! thats why you run higher octane for high boost. the higher the octane the slower the burn cycle so you dont have detonation or non spark enduced uncontrolled fuel burn.

THIS THREAD IS FILLED WITH BAD INFORMATION! i would take all this information with a grain of salt because it definately is all hear-say. do your own research and see what the real reasons are for it. this is why some people can run 18psi and 600+ hp on 91 octane, its all about detonation deturance!

yea, this thread is so full of crap i cant phukn believe what i'm reading. here's something to help the less informed members.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm
Old 04-10-06, 09:55 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

as far as i know,,,,,,,,,,, the n/a supra do not require 91,,,,,,,,, as far as the inline 6 gs300 also,,,,
Old 04-13-06, 07:15 PM
slo86
Pole Position

http://mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf93/ncf033.jpg
http://mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf93/ncf034.jpg

http://www.csgnetwork.com/octaneratecalc.html

Last edited by slo86; 04-13-06 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-14-06, 09:10 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I always wondered

I always wondered about the 104 octaine boost stuff. How well does that work?

Quick Reply: does the sc300 need premium gas?