Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Rip in Leather - help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-01, 06:01 PM
DSAI
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a new es about 2 weeks old. Someone's in the back seat for the first time and notices a small rip in the seat leather.

Looks about 1/2 unch long and it isn't ripped all the way through. Looks like the top grain is seperated from the leather peels back about 1/8th of an inch.

Any thgouhts/fixes would be much appreciated.:eek:
Old 08-18-01, 11:48 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Is it a tear or rip? Does it look like a man made tear , like with a knife ? Or is it just the seams coming aloose?

If the seams are coming apart then you might be able to get it repaired by the dealer under warranty. And its a new car?

Man would i be steamed ! Hope this helps. I know of no way to fix leather seats but by an upholstery shop.
Old 08-20-01, 04:47 AM
DSAI
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure if it's man made the edge looks pretty straight.

It's not on the seam it's right in the middle. It's not all the way through the leather - you can't see the padding underneath. It's just like the top smooth part of the leatherseperated from the bottom rougher part.
Old 08-20-01, 12:47 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

If it is two weeks old, back to Lexus. I am not sure how, but it is possible to repair leather. If Lexus won't do it, find a good detailer and have him recommend someone for leather repair. In the bimmer days, I got a larger cut in the leather than you did and my detailer ran the car over to his leather guy. When the car came back, I really could not spot the repair. I talked with the leather guy and he said that the repair spot is actually slightly smoother than the normal leather. He asked me if I could spot the repair and I pointed it out to him. Unfortunately, it was not the repaired spot. I was surprised and then he started to point out the areas on the leather where the smooth spots were. He told me that those were most usually healed barbed wire scars on the cow. It is not inhumanity, the cows sometimes rub up against the wire just to scratch. When the scar heals, it leaves a slightly smoother spot in the grain. Sure enough, the bimmer leather had several so the repair was invisible. Downside, I was looking at the leather in my GS430 and it figures that Toyota gets leather from cows that stay away from barbed wire. I really can't find any of the healed scars on my seats. But don't worry about that, it can be repaired and will be virtually invisible. Like anything, don't wait too long. The leather at the cut will start drying out and getting dirt which will affect the quality of the repair.