Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Toyota Sludge Nightmare Forum

Old 01-15-06, 01:12 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota Sludge Nightmare Forum

I can't believe all these owners are having sludge issues:

http://groups.msn.com/ToyotaOwnersUn...rsstories.msnw
Old 01-15-06, 03:22 PM
slawek65
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OOOOPS! Toyota have problems too, just like other car makers.
Old 01-15-06, 03:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

lol.... most posts there are from same person and go way back. In fact, I am suprised there isnt more.
And some of those complains that I saw dont have much to do with sludge - such as MR2 issue for example.

I was checking out those forums few years ago, when issue was "hot", and few people from toyota group have claimed they never saw an sludge issue with properly maintained car (nor anyone that posted on the forums submitted such evidence, although there were some pretty loud posters at that time). That and Toyota's actual extending the warranty probably helped so Toyota really didnt fall back in their reliability ratings...
Old 01-15-06, 03:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by toy4two
I can't believe all these owners are having sludge issues:

http://groups.msn.com/ToyotaOwnersUn...rsstories.msnw

If u actaully READ this forum, seems 99% of the threads are started by one guy.
Old 01-15-06, 07:05 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I dunno, I have a 2001 RX300, and I've let the oil go way too long a couple of times, and I still don't have any sludge problems. Maybe it's just all BS.
Old 01-15-06, 07:06 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These people are in a group of minorities, even with the affected V6 engines. This is caused by both the engine design and people neglecting oil change. Of course that they'll tell you that they do change oil every 3k miles blah blah blah. I've learned long time ago that not to believe everything I read on the Internet.

I change my oil every 5K miles as per schedule. So under the new goodwill warranty, I get a brand new engine free of charge. So what's the down side of that?

Based on ConsumerReports survey, less than 2% or 5% (depending on model year) of Toyota/Lexus owners experience any kind of engine issues. That's far better than Ford, GM, or Chrysler products. Try a GM pushrod or timing chain engine, you'd be running back to Toyota in no time.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 01-16-06 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-15-06, 09:22 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

There is no such thing as a sludge problem.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194378
Old 01-17-06, 05:55 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

When I saw Toyota Sludge Nightmare Forum...I was thinking something like The Blob attacking.
Old 01-17-06, 06:10 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short of the engine not running, does anyone know what signs the car exhibits to indicate sludge is starting to build up.
Old 01-17-06, 06:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by rheiy
Short of the engine not running, does anyone know what signs the car exhibits to indicate sludge is starting to build up.
Heavy blue smoke at startup that does not go away for a long time until optimal engine temp. Hard startups.
Old 01-18-06, 10:26 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Heavy blue smoke at startup that does not go away for a long time until optimal engine temp. Hard startups.
how about gas milage going from 20 MPG to 16 MPG?
Old 01-27-06, 02:11 PM
Teh Slayer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
These people are in a group of minorities, even with the affected V6 engines. This is caused by both the engine design and people neglecting oil change. Of course that they'll tell you that they do change oil every 3k miles blah blah blah. I've learned long time ago that not to believe everything I read on the Internet.
There is no doubt, that the 1MZ-FE engines are extraordinarily hard on oil. They are difficult to do long drains in, especially the sludge-prone versions. Regular oil changes will keep the oil clean, period. Sludge is a non-issue in that engine provided that the oil is changed on time (every 4-5K).
Old 01-27-06, 02:33 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think some people took the commercial where they welded the hood on a Corolla to heart. Any engine can develop sludge, especially if the design of the engine is hard on oil. I have a firend who drives his civic from Hew Haven, CT to NYC every day. He needs to change his oil every 3 weeks to keep up with the 3k mile OCI. after 4 years, his engine died. opened her up and tons of sludge. And civics are, as far as I know, not sludging engines. Figures he left the last oil in for 4 months. It all has to do with maintenance and driving style. Everyone needs to stick to the 3-5k mile OCI.
Old 01-27-06, 05:03 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

i belive those ppl dont regurally do their lof. if they done their lofs at every 5k on the dot they wouldnt have this problem. ive seen this problem time and time again. the cheapest way to keep ur car in top shape is to maintain it.
anotherwards

pay me now
or pay me more later
Old 01-27-06, 08:54 PM
Teh Slayer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by koolaidman
pay me now
or pay me more later
Sounds like the FRAM guy...

Agree to what you say. The sludge problem in the VW 1.8T is another good example. Do they ever have the sludge problem, on this same engine, in Europe? No. The 1.8T engine was originally factory filled with 5W40 synthetic (look in the owner's manual of one if you don't believe me), but the wording used in the owner's manual in regards to the correct oil needed was mis-interpreted. (VW is still to blame for their syntax) Owner's and dealers dumped 5W30 dino into these engines for 5K drains....the engines would've probably survived fine if the owner's had adhered to the intervals exactly (and not exceed the recommended mileage), the engine would've probably been fine. Of course, the engine was quite sludge prone (duh...5W30 dino in a 3.7qt sump at 5K drains, under all conditions), so exceeding the service interval by 1500 or 2000 miles could easily mean black death.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota Sludge Nightmare Forum