Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Crank/Cam pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 11:33 AM
sahtt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank/Cam pulleys

I have the front off the motor but am stuck. Please help me if you have any advice, I've searched three forums without a solid answer-

I need to get the crank bolt and 2 cam pulleys off to replace the seals. They all have oil leaks as they were not changed at the 90k service, I now have 133k. I also need to get them back on.

I can rent an electric air compressor but many people have told me it will not be able to get the nut on the crank pulley loose. I have a breaker bar etc. but do not know how to get the crank to not move while I put torque on it. Same applies to the cam pulleys.

I've heard of jamming tools into the flywheel and all sorts of things, but nothing concrete that will solve my problem of getting the cam and crank pulleys on and off. I don't really want to get an electric air compressor for 50.00 [powered by my car battery] only to not be able to get the crank loose.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-06, 11:47 AM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sahtt
I have the front off the motor but am stuck. Please help me if you have any advice, I've searched three forums without a solid answer-

I need to get the crank bolt and 2 cam pulleys off to replace the seals. They all have oil leaks as they were not changed at the 90k service, I now have 133k. I also need to get them back on.

I can rent an electric air compressor but many people have told me it will not be able to get the nut on the crank pulley loose. I have a breaker bar etc. but do not know how to get the crank to not move while I put torque on it. Same applies to the cam pulleys.

I've heard of jamming tools into the flywheel and all sorts of things, but nothing concrete that will solve my problem of getting the cam and crank pulleys on and off. I don't really want to get an electric air compressor for 50.00 [powered by my car battery] only to not be able to get the crank loose.

Thanks.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....&group_ID=1552 and the crank screw. ur going to need a very long pry bar or breaker bar or a presueder. not for the average job. those bolts are bolted down to about 120 foot pounds and if it hasnt been off its going to be a pain in the *** to get off
Old 01-16-06, 03:06 PM
gregor4
Driver School Candidate

You have LS400? Sorry, can't help you with the cam gears. I just did the timing belt replacement on my GS300. The cam timing gear seals weren't leaking so I didn't mess with them (I can do it myself so I'll fix them when they need it). Removing my crank pulley was a son of a biaaatch. The FSM says 243ft lbs. of torque when installing. I had a buddy come over to my house and he says "dude, use the impact". Why is is that everyone just immediately reaches for the impact and hammers away at it? Does the dentist use a DeWalt drill on your teeth? No. And, I couldn't get the impact in there even with my radiator removed. My solution to the problem (there are probably better solutions) was to wrap the pulley twice with the old serpentine belt to prevent damage to the grooves of the pulley. Then take a vice grip strap wrench (chain type) and lock it as tight as you can onto the pulley. Then you need to put the breaker bar on the bolt. I used the handle of my floor jack as 2' extension handles for the strap wrench and the breaker bar. It took one guy holding the strap wrench and me leaning on the breaker bar. It will take a lot, and I mean a lot to break that thing loose. I didn't think tthat the strap wrench would work, but it hung in there like a champ. Last of all, Good luck.