Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Head gasket repair for chrismas

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-05, 02:15 PM
San Diego
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket repair for chrismas

Hello,

Does anyone have any tips for a head gasket replacemnt for a SC300? No manual and no mechanic. Any tips, help, instructions or web site will be very apreciated. Merry Christmas

T
Old 12-12-05, 04:53 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Techinfo.Toyota.com pay your $10. The biggest thing when changing them is to check if they're warped or not.
(If you can take a fairly reliable straight edge across it & slip a sheet of paper between the straight edge & metal surface, it's most likely warped if it's not the straight edge. Get a more reliable straight edge & a set of feeler gauges to re-check with. If there is any warpage, go pay a machinest $50-100 to mill'em flat & enjoy the miniscule compression bump!)
Old 12-12-05, 07:21 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by San Diego
Hello,

Does anyone have any tips for a head gasket replacemnt for a SC300? No manual and no mechanic. Any tips, help, instructions or web site will be very apreciated. Merry Christmas

T
If you are not mechanically inclined I do not suggest it.

jonny
Old 12-13-05, 03:19 PM
San Diego
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

I am pretty mechanically inclined so I think I will attempt this. While the head is off I'm thinking of a valve job and resurface the head anyway. Probably new valve seals too. This will happen and I'm going to do it. I guess when the head is I will look at the pistons and decide if I will pull the whole engine. Just looking for some advice and tips.

I see almost everyone recommends factory parts. I will probably go with the factory head gasket and parts.

Thanks for the advice on the machine work. I think I will do that since the head will be off. Better now than to do this again.
Old 12-13-05, 10:47 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by San Diego
I am pretty mechanically inclined so I think I will attempt this. While the head is off I'm thinking of a valve job and resurface the head anyway. Probably new valve seals too. This will happen and I'm going to do it. I guess when the head is I will look at the pistons and decide if I will pull the whole engine. Just looking for some advice and tips.

I see almost everyone recommends factory parts. I will probably go with the factory head gasket and parts.

Thanks for the advice on the machine work. I think I will do that since the head will be off. Better now than to do this again.
do u know how to valve lap?
Old 12-14-05, 06:59 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a freakin manual man, its just plain stupid not to

PS. Get a Genuine Lexus Repair Manual
Old 12-14-05, 01:59 PM
San Diego
Driver School Candidate

I agree a manual is probably a good idea. I know the factory manual is kinda of pricey, are they worth it vs say a clymer or Haines manual.

I haven't had the pleasure of lapping a valve yet, but I'm sure I will get my chance.

Thanks for the advice guys
Old 12-14-05, 03:47 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
Buy a freakin manual man, its just plain stupid not to

PS. Get a Genuine Lexus Repair Manual
Talk about factory manual you may need to try this guy in Seattle, www.book4cars.com. They got a ton of factory Lexus manual and the price is a lot cheaper than dealer. If you want to buy a set of manual at the dealership they don't know the price until the books come in and then they'll tell you how much. I think some manual come with vol 1 & 2 and some model come with vol 1,2 &3 and depend on how many pages too.
Old 12-15-05, 01:03 PM
San Diego
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip VVT guy. I will check it out, thanks for the useful information.