Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
View Poll Results: We are selling our SC400 in 12 mo, would you perform the "now due" 120k mile insp?
Yes, pay for the insp and keep the car up to date
45.31%
No, keep the oil changed and rotate the tires, but that's it!
54.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Pay for the 120k Mile Inspection or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-05, 04:38 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pay for the 120k Mile Inspection or Not?

We will be selling our 1995 SC400 this time next year and purchasing a GX470. The 120k mile inspection runs approximately $1000.

Would you vote "yes" to doing the service even though we are selling the car in 12 months and using it as a marketing tool or would you vote "no" and say if the car is running fine, skip the major inspection, but keep the oil changed and tires roatated and let the new owner fork over the money for the service?

Thank you!
Old 11-19-05, 05:19 PM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it.

Its easier to sell a well maintained car for KBB than otherwise not
Old 11-20-05, 10:41 PM
YZFR1
Driver

Yes you should do it............ But.............................. May i suggest you bring it to a Toyota dealership........... and get it done for about 500??? That's what i did soon as i bought my car in April.......

At least inquire about it at the local Toyota Dealership......

Dan
Old 11-21-05, 07:01 PM
stringman5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YZFR1
Yes you should do it............ But.............................. May i suggest you bring it to a Toyota dealership........... and get it done for about 500??? That's what i did soon as i bought my car in April.......

At least inquire about it at the local Toyota Dealership......

Dan
I agree, Dan. I have two Lexus' and find the Toyota dealer to be much more reasonable for ALL service. $29 oil service vs $80 at the Lexus dealer.
Old 12-22-05, 11:53 PM
Osiris_x11
Driver

Cool DIY or independant shoppes!!

For non-critical maint'/service intervals or work... independant import shoppes of good stature are definitely the way to go. They can do a near-identical service in terms of check-list, inspection, fluids/flush, replace/repair, etc. Also get them to log the service into your maint' book!

I think for less common, more unique makes & models, dealership service/maint' is requisite.

Alot of the German & English made cars, you can't even change the oil yourself... due to tools needed, engine placement, etc. . .

Lexus/Toyota and Acura/Honda are very user-friendly for most service/maint'.

Last edited by Osiris_x11; 12-23-05 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-24-05, 08:26 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Insane to pay for this service & expect to be equally rewarded at time of sale. Simply ain't gonna happen.

Under these circumstances, the only way I do this would be if it were my Grandmothers daily driver & I needed peace of mind.

What does a 120,000 mile service consist of? Are we talking timing belt here??

Change the oil, rotate the tires and perform service as required. Provide a detailed maintenace history w sale & you have done your share of the load.

Last edited by damon; 12-24-05 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-24-05, 08:40 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Change the wording from "inspection" to "service." I'll be damned if Im spending $1,000 to have my car INSPECTED... thats bull.

Overall 60K and 120K service would be the same... timing belt/waterpump, adjust valve clearance, torque body and frame, drain all fluids and refill, flush and refill tranny, etc. An independent shop is roughly 700 for all that, a lexus dealer actually runs more like 1,200... i dont think they factored any transmission service in that quote they gave you

Dont forget to have them drain and refill the differential. Mobil1 75W-90 I think is the right grade... it takes 1.5 quarts total.
Old 12-24-05, 12:05 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default In your dreams......

Originally Posted by legendary
Do it.

Its easier to sell a well maintained car for KBB than otherwise not
Seller (earnestly): Well, she's got 120,000 miles on it, but it's been well-maintained

Buyer (slyly): Yeah, but did you get the 120K service on it?

Seller (nonchalantly): Why yes, yes I did just last week- here's the receipt- cost me $1000.....

Buyer (enthusiastically): YOU DID? OH, I SIMPLY MUST HAVE THIS CAR!!! Here- even though your 10-year old car has depreciated down to about one-tenth of its original value, let me write out this check here for $1000 MORE than i was willing to pay just one minute ago. And thank you for following the owner's manual and spending all that money maintaining your car, even though you were about to sell it, anyway - there is a place in heaven waiting for you.
Here - let me stop jumping up and down so that I can sign this check legibly....

[Fade to black]

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 12-24-05 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-24-05, 12:43 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
Seller (earnestly): Well, she's got 120,000 miles on it, but it's been well-maintained

Buyer (slyly): Yeah, but did you get the 120K service on it?

Seller (nonchalantly): Why yes, yes I did just last week- here's the receipt- cost me $1000.....

Buyer (enthusiastically): YOU DID? OH, I SIMPLY MUST HAVE THIS CAR!!! Here- even though your 10-year old car has depreciated down to about one-tenth of its original value, let me write out this check here for $1000 MORE than i was willing to pay just one minute ago. And thank you for following the owner's manual and spending all that money maintaining your car, even though you were about to sell it, anyway - there is a place in heaven waiting for you.
Here - let me stop jumping up and down so that I can sign this check legibly....

[Fade to black]

Vote +1 for most classic response of 2005 !
Old 01-06-06, 10:15 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA

[Fade to black]
That's exactly what I am talking about!

Before we hit the road for vacation in mid-December I checked this poll and the tally read "11 YES" and "0 NO." Now, when we return, I find that quite a few more CL Members are saying no way.

Here's what the SC400 Maintenance Log says about the 120,000 Mile "servicing:"

Replace A/C filter
Replace brake fluid
Replace differential oil
Replace engine air filter
Replace engine coolant
Inspect 14 various points on the car ranging from ball joints and dust covers to the tranny fluid
Replace engine oil and filter
Replace spark plugs
Re-torque drive shaft flange bolts
Rotate tires
Road-test vehicle
Complimentary car wash, loaner car, free pastries in the lounge, etc.

That'll run about $1000.

There's no timing belt change as that is done at 90,000 miles and was done on my SC at 95,000. We have decided to keep the oil changed and tires rotated while replacing important parts that break, but I will not dish out that kind of money for a car I'm not going to be driving in 9 months. If a family member buys the car I will perhaps, split the cost, but if it goes to trade-in it will be done with a car wash and that's it.

Thanks to all who voted and/or wrote in, I appreciate it!
Old 01-06-06, 10:27 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Originally Posted by Osiris_x11
For non-critical maint'/service intervals or work... independant import shoppes of good stature are definitely the way to go. They can do a near-identical service in terms of check-list, inspection, fluids/flush, replace/repair, etc. Also get them to log the service into your maint' book!

I think for less common, more unique makes & models, dealership service/maint' is requisite.

Alot of the German & English made cars, you can't even change the oil yourself... due to tools needed, engine placement, etc. . .

Lexus/Toyota and Acura/Honda are very user-friendly for most service/maint'.
I'm not handy with automotive maintenance (I like to keep'em clean and that's it), nor do I have time to do it myself, so that's out of the question.

The only independent shop in Austin that is worth considering is Bearden Automotive and as of late I have had two people say what a bad experience it was with them (car was returned dirty in/out, price wasn't much cheaper than dealer, no available loaners, etc). I have a few people tell me that they don't even like Lexus of Austin and drive all the way to Lexus of San Antonio to have their car serviced (an hour or so drive).
Old 01-06-06, 03:52 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally Posted by Jayson
That's exactly what I am talking about!

Before we hit the road for vacation in mid-December I checked this poll and the tally read "11 YES" and "0 NO." Now, when we return, I find that quite a few more CL Members are saying no way.

Here's what the SC400 Maintenance Log says about the 120,000 Mile "servicing:"

Replace A/C filter
Replace brake fluid
Replace differential oil
Replace engine air filter
Replace engine coolant
Inspect 14 various points on the car ranging from ball joints and dust covers to the tranny fluid
Replace engine oil and filter
Replace spark plugs
Re-torque drive shaft flange bolts
Rotate tires
Road-test vehicle
Complimentary car wash, loaner car, free pastries in the lounge, etc.

That'll run about $1000.

There's no timing belt change as that is done at 90,000 miles and was done on my SC at 95,000. We have decided to keep the oil changed and tires rotated while replacing important parts that break, but I will not dish out that kind of money for a car I'm not going to be driving in 9 months. If a family member buys the car I will perhaps, split the cost, but if it goes to trade-in it will be done with a car wash and that's it.

Thanks to all who voted and/or wrote in, I appreciate it!
1,000 bucks for that if they arent doing the timing belt is monstrous. Mine WITH timing belt, but without spark plugs was 700. This was done at an independent shop tho.
Old 01-06-06, 08:52 PM
Canyonero
Driver

Is the timing belt less expensive to change out on the 2jzge?
Old 01-07-06, 06:45 AM
Jayson
Advanced

My bill was $600 for the timing belt.
Old 01-07-06, 03:17 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, just to make sure.

Its always good to be safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: Pay for the 120k Mile Inspection or Not?