Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Car pulls to the right - Sticking left calipers LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-05, 04:57 PM
suloh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car pulls to the right - Sticking left calipers LS 400

If left caliper stick slightly will it cause car to pull to the right under normal driving (no brake application). I would imagine that if left caliper stick car would pull to the left!!

Just replaced my warped rotors and pads with original parts.

My car still pulls to the right although alignment is ok and front tires are brand new. I have not has the opportunity to do a drive on a highway and coast to a stop without using brakes to test for sticking calipers (suggested by some on the forum).

However, on my about town drives, I have been touching my rims to see if there is a difference in temp. Guess what, the left front rim is always much hotter than the right front rim. There is quite a difference. So either the left caliper sticks slightly or somehow brakes are working harder on the left. Or unless the new pads have not had an opportunity the break-in.
Old 10-26-05, 03:13 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If your left caliper is sticking you will see more brake dust also. Yes, it will pull to the right because the right front wheel is moving faster than the left front.
Old 10-30-05, 05:53 PM
muldrick
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVT-i
If your left caliper is sticking you will see more brake dust also. Yes, it will pull to the right because the right front wheel is moving faster than the left front.
If either caliper is sticking, both wheels will still move at the same speed dude. Your theory makes no sense.

If the left caliper is sticking then the car will pull left. (without brake application)

I recommend you just get them inspected by a reputable shop, or you can jack up the front end,
have someone hold the brake while you try turn the left wheel. As soon as they release the brake, the wheel should turn. Do the same thing to the other side and differentiate the difference. Also check for drag in the wheels etc.

You may have 2 different problems...the alignment was checked and is good? Many shops don't bother, but should check all the steering and suspension components (properly) before the alignment is performed. How about tire pressure, tire pull? Swap the 2 front tires and see if it still pulls right.
Keep us updated.
Old 10-31-05, 02:21 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by muldrick
If either caliper is sticking, both wheels will still move at the same speed dude. Your theory makes no sense.

If the left caliper is sticking then the car will pull left. (without brake application)

If either caliper is sticking which mean one of the wheel is dragging by the brake pressure. How can both wheels still move at the same speed. Youre theory makes no sense too.

If the left caliper is sticking the right wheel will spin faster than the left. I remember when I was a kid and played with radio control tank. To make the RC tank to turns right I had to slow down the left side. Think about dirt bike or drifting, those guys have to turn the wheel in opposite direction while using the tourqe from the rear wheel to push car into another direction.
Old 11-01-05, 01:43 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a similar problem but only while applying brake pedal pressure.

It is very slight but distinclly noticable: Under anything more than moderate pressure above 45 mph when I hit the brakes I can observe the front end dip ( totally expected ) and move a tad to the passenger side.(this part is unwanted & unexpected ) It does not really pull the wheel in your hands however.

Thought I had a bulging, deteriorated brake line and switched to stainless, but problem is still there. Any ideas??? Is this one caliper moving out of synch?
Old 11-01-05, 01:18 PM
muldrick
Rookie

Hey dude, sorry for being arogant in my prvious post.
But if the left wheel has a drag to it, then the car will drift or pull left. (not right) Simple.
Years ago I had a "rail" buggy with separate rear brakes, I would engage the LEFT brake, to aid in LEFT turns.
Does someone else have a better way to clarify this?

Originally Posted by VVT-i
If either caliper is sticking which mean one of the wheel is dragging by the brake pressure. How can both wheels still move at the same speed. Youre theory makes no sense too.

If the left caliper is sticking the right wheel will spin faster than the left. I remember when I was a kid and played with radio control tank. To make the RC tank to turns right I had to slow down the left side. Think about dirt bike or drifting, those guys have to turn the wheel in opposite direction while using the tourqe from the rear wheel to push car into another direction.
Old 11-02-05, 10:00 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by muldrick
Hey dude, sorry for being arogant in my prvious post.
But if the left wheel has a drag to it, then the car will drift or pull left. (not right) Simple.
Years ago I had a "rail" buggy with separate rear brakes, I would engage the LEFT brake, to aid in LEFT turns.
Does someone else have a better way to clarify this?
Similar to the "dixie cup affect"... where one side of the cup is smaller than the other, you put the cup on its side and push it... it will turn to the side with the least diameter.

Both wheels are physically spinning at the same speed, unless you're in a turn. Otherwise, you'd be squeeling a tire. In a straight line its physically impossible for a wheel to turn slower than another, unless the actual diameter of said tire was smaller.

Now, one wheel does have drag on it... so its being slowed down, consequently, also slowing the entire car down to a degree. Its been my experience that a car with a sticking caliper will pull to the side that has said caliper.

As to helping you correct your problem. You need to rememdy the sticking caliper before proceeding with fixing the pull. There are other problems that can affect pulling other than physical alignment specs. Worn suspension components, in either the control arms, strut rods, or even the steering rack, can cause a pull. Uneven ride height can also affect pulling. Does the car have air suspension? Possible leaking air bag. There is much more to look at. But i would suggest fixing the known problems before proceeding with diagnosis.
Old 05-24-15, 01:24 PM
RevitAuto
Driver School Candidate

Default Clarification (On a dead thread)

I think there is some confusion between a seized caliper and a dragging caliper.

The reason that a seized front right caliper will cause a vehicle to the pull to the left is similar to the remote control tank theory previously mentioned.

A seized caliper has no braking power. It s stuck, not going to move..... no way! So with this in mind the brakes are pressed and the only wheel receiving a stopping force is the left front brake (Not seized). Since the right is seized it will not move, and wont apply any stopping force. The car will move in the direction of the applied force. To the left!

A few helpful tips.

You are most likely dealing with a seized caliper when you APPLY the brakes and you notice a pull. When you come off the brakes the pull goes away.

Inspect the opposite caliper. Look at the seal on the piston, if it is damaged the piston bore is damaged.

On the other hand......

You are most likely dealing with a dragging brake when you apply the brakes, have an even stopping force. And when you release the brake pedal, the vehicle begins to pull.

What is happening here is the dragging brake has a damaged line and brake fluid can't return to the reservoir through the master cylinder.

A rubber brake hose may look okay on the exterior, but it could be internally collapsed.