Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

High miles 94 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-05, 03:15 PM
thilmony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High miles 94 ES300

Ok, just bought a couple weeks ago, a one owner trade in 94 ES300 with 165k miles. Here's what's wrong:

power antenna (ordered mast, can't get old one out)
brakes
suspension (clunking in back on bumpy roads)

So I thought I would replace the following:

new brakes and rotors front and back (why do I need to order for parts? just brake pads and rotors?)

struts (what are all the parts for that, or should I let my mechanic do it?)

timing belt and water pump

Also the usual:
transmission fluid change
oil/filter change
air filter
ac filter
brake fluid
coolant flush

What am I missing that I should take care of?

Also, back to the antenna. the thing clicks, is bent a little, I got a mast off ebay but I'll be damned if I can get the old mast out. I was thinking of buying a non-power antenna to replace this thing, as now I wrecked this one with vice-grips and stuff trying to get the mast out. Any suggestions.

I followed that how-to and replaced all the taillight bulbs last week already.

How can I get a factory CD player in here? Did they make one for 94's?

Thanks!

Last edited by thilmony; 10-16-05 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-17-05, 12:13 PM
muldrick
Rookie

Struts....need to get mounts and dust boots also.
Brakes....Pads, Rotors, shims and hardware kit (to do it right)
Antenna.....with the bolt loose, radio on>hold on tightly to the antenna while you turn the radio off. Don't let the antenna go down. Count to 30, then turn the radio on...the antenna should "feed" right out of there. You may need to repeat the process.
Once out, put the new antenna "tape" in there and turn the radio off, the new antenna will feed right in. Don't worry if it doesn't go down all the way, tighten the nut, then turn the radio on/off a couple of times.

I recommend to use Lexus parts....allways use factory parts for whatever kind of car it is. Aftermarket parts suck.
Call the dealer on the CD player and ask them, or search on eBay.

Originally Posted by thilmony
Ok, just bought a couple weeks ago, a one owner trade in 94 ES300 with 165k miles. Here's what's wrong:

power antenna (ordered mast, can't get old one out)
brakes
suspension (clunking in back on bumpy roads)

So I thought I would replace the following:

new brakes and rotors front and back (why do I need to order for parts? just brake pads and rotors?)

struts (what are all the parts for that, or should I let my mechanic do it?)

timing belt and water pump

Also the usual:
transmission fluid change
oil/filter change
air filter
ac filter
brake fluid
coolant flush

What am I missing that I should take care of?

Also, back to the antenna. the thing clicks, is bent a little, I got a mast off ebay but I'll be damned if I can get the old mast out. I was thinking of buying a non-power antenna to replace this thing, as now I wrecked this one with vice-grips and stuff trying to get the mast out. Any suggestions.

I followed that how-to and replaced all the taillight bulbs last week already.

How can I get a factory CD player in here? Did they make one for 94's?

Thanks!
Old 10-17-05, 05:44 PM
thilmony
Driver School Candidate

The antenna - I've been working on it every day for over a week now. I have used WD40 to loosen it - it is almost extended all the way, I figure once it is, all pulliing is actually pulling the mast out and not extending it. The motor doesn't push or pull it, so I'm not sure how the steps below would help.

I was going to order on lexus-parts.com the brake pads, rotors, shims, but where do I get hardware kit? Dealer only? ebay?

where can I order struts/mounts/dust boots? ebay?

Originally Posted by muldrick
Struts....need to get mounts and dust boots also.
Brakes....Pads, Rotors, shims and hardware kit (to do it right)
Antenna.....with the bolt loose, radio on>hold on tightly to the antenna while you turn the radio off. Don't let the antenna go down. Count to 30, then turn the radio on...the antenna should "feed" right out of there. You may need to repeat the process.
Once out, put the new antenna "tape" in there and turn the radio off, the new antenna will feed right in. Don't worry if it doesn't go down all the way, tighten the nut, then turn the radio on/off a couple of times.

I recommend to use Lexus parts....allways use factory parts for whatever kind of car it is. Aftermarket parts suck.
Call the dealer on the CD player and ask them, or search on eBay.
Old 10-19-05, 09:09 AM
muldrick
Rookie

Antenna...sounds like the motor is bad.
I haven't checked out lexus-parts.com, but it seems like thay should stock all the parts. If not, then get your parts from a dealer.
I allways recommend "vehicle specific" parts. If you have a Ford, get ford parts, if you have a Lexus , get Lexus parts.
Aftermarket parts IMO are of very poor quality, they are manufactured by whoever. Just because they are a specific brand part does not mean that they were made by that specific company, they are manufactured by whoever quotes them the best price. Lower costs=lower quality.
Automotive companies (particularly Lexus) does not manufacture parts using the "best quote" method, therefor their quality is better.
Don't but these kind of items from eBay...you'll be sorry. (most likely)

Originally Posted by thilmony
The antenna - I've been working on it every day for over a week now. I have used WD40 to loosen it - it is almost extended all the way, I figure once it is, all pulliing is actually pulling the mast out and not extending it. The motor doesn't push or pull it, so I'm not sure how the steps below would help.

I was going to order on lexus-parts.com the brake pads, rotors, shims, but where do I get hardware kit? Dealer only? ebay?

where can I order struts/mounts/dust boots? ebay?