Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Battery Leak? Rust? Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-05, 06:29 PM
suloh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Leak? Rust? Suggestions?

Just bought a 1992 LS 400 with 200K miles. When I removed the battery to check, it appears that the whole area was corroded. In fact when I removed the battery tray, it was all rusted underneath.

The current battery is a Lexus Brand battery and it does not seem to be responsible for all this corrosion. Any idea what could cause such a lot of corrosion. I have never had a battery do that. It is as though some battery had a major leak. If so what would cause a battery to leak that was. Common problem with the LS 400>

Also, any suggestions on repair the rust? I am thinking of spraying the whole area with rustoleum paint or maybe brushing it on. Any suggestions on anti corrosion paint. BTW my car is white!
Attached Thumbnails Battery Leak?  Rust? Suggestions?-img_1682_2.jpg  
Old 10-09-05, 09:48 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suloh
Just bought a 1992 LS 400 with 200K miles. When I removed the battery to check, it appears that the whole area was corroded. In fact when I removed the battery tray, it was all rusted underneath.

The current battery is a Lexus Brand battery and it does not seem to be responsible for all this corrosion. Any idea what could cause such a lot of corrosion. I have never had a battery do that. It is as though some battery had a major leak. If so what would cause a battery to leak that was. Common problem with the LS 400>

Also, any suggestions on repair the rust? I am thinking of spraying the whole area with rustoleum paint or maybe brushing it on. Any suggestions on anti corrosion paint. BTW my car is white!
unless u know how to sand blast. or pour coke on it
Old 10-09-05, 10:37 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You would have to remove every bit of rust, or else it will come back if you spray/cover it with something. Naval jelly will probably take out most of it, but you'd have to use some kind of rust neutralizer/primer too before doing anything else. Then a good primer BEFORE the paint.

This damage is not uncommon with any car, it usually happens if your battery tray cracks, fails or is completely missing! Batteries always emit some kind of corrosive acid, of course over a period of years and years it takes its toll.
Old 10-10-05, 05:44 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have much personal experience with it, but you might look into painting the rusted surfaces with POR 15

Quote from ad: <<POR-15 is a high-tech, high performance rust-preventive paint like coating, designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces. It dries to an incredible rock-hard, non-porous finish that won't chip, crack, or peel, and it prevents rust from recurring by protecting metal from further exposure to moisture. Most common use it to coat rusty frames, floor pans, farm equipment, marine equipment, or even a heavily corroded battery tray. >>
Old 10-10-05, 05:59 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, first thing is to make sure all the acid is neutralized. I would replace the battery terminals and get an abrasive brush and wash the whole tray out with some baking soda and water. Then sand it down, primer it and paint it with some rustoleum or enamel paint. After reinstalling the battery, wipe some petroleum jelly or get one of those felt absorber rings around the positive terminal and do regular maintenance. Should be good to go.
Old 10-10-05, 02:31 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Make sure the tube that collects the spills is clear and sticks below the bottom of the shroud. Check that there are no kinks etc. Soemtimes the tube at the bottom of the tray comes apart and you end up with the corrosion.

Salim