Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
View Poll Results: What do you pump?
10.34%
13.79%
68.97%
Normally Pump the 91, but when gas prices are up.. Pump 89 or 87
6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

GAS - What octane do you pump?Does it matter? How about different gas stations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-05, 05:53 PM
MVP GS3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GAS - What octane do you pump?Does it matter? How about different gas stations?

Wussup CL members!,
Topic: Gas

(1) What type of octane do you use at the pump? and does it matter if you pump the 87, 89, and the 91? ( theory says it give you better gas mileage, last longer, good for the engine)

I was watching on TV and on one of the channels (forgot what program) report that there is no difference when pumping the 89 or 91 unless you are in a corvette/viper/high performance vehicle, Reports says that you can pump any octane unless it says 89 or 91unleaded fuel only near your gauge cluster.

(2) Is pumping at different gas station makes a different in perfomance of your vehicle?
( theory says it give you better gas mileage, last longer, good for the engine)

Reports also stated that when pumping at different gas station from Chevron or to some random cheap joe blow gas station it is all the same, it come from the same barrel, the only thing difference is that different gas station add additive to their gas.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK AND YOUR THEORIES! THANK YOU!

Last edited by MVP GS3; 10-03-05 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-03-05, 06:05 PM
MVP GS3
Driver School Candidate

Question What octane do you pump? Does it matter? Your theories...?

Take my poll here. Thank You
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181220

Last edited by MVP GS3; 10-03-05 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-03-05, 06:08 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Sunoco Ultra 94 here!
Old 10-03-05, 06:39 PM
GeorgeGS4
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Our cars recommend premium unleaded 91+ octane, so i always use 93. hey, if that's what my baby wants, that's what she gets

however, gas prices do make me
Old 10-03-05, 06:40 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

in hawaii we have premium unleaded which is 92...so i use that. crazy expensive tho...cuz when the gas prices were high....it costed around $48 for just 3/4 tank!
Old 10-03-05, 06:50 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm in Texas and its one of the "cheaper" states. Premium here is 93 octane and about $3.20 a gallon average right now.

I filled up today for about $55. Whats even worse is when I saw this. I snapped a picture with my camera phone (low res )

Notice the person stopped at $75. Maybe a 3/4 tank for him? That was also $2.99 87octane regular! I guess it sux to be driving a big truck or suv these days
Old 10-03-05, 06:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

MVP:

LOTS of threads on this in pretty much every model forum

Some from the GS forum (merged your post here - please don't cross post ) I found by searching for 'octane'
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=octane

PS, the max sig size on CL is 450 x 100, your is slightly too tall. Can you please shink it down a bit? Thanks
Old 10-03-05, 10:13 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Also a good write up in the latest Road & Track.
Old 10-04-05, 08:31 AM
JSK
Driver School Candidate

Chevron 91
Old 10-04-05, 08:32 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Pemex Premium 92 Octane (you can go 87 Magna or diesel). Magna has a much higher sulfur count. My precats went dead running that stuff recently (where I could not get Premium).

We have some tricks in Mexico...even though Pemex is the monopoly.

Pumping your car on an incline (fools gas computer and saves $$$).

Pumping at the tank on the highest point of the station (if station sits on an incline) gets the better stuff out of the underground storage tank.

I pay about 75 cents a liter more or less for Premium, I guess close to $3 USD a gallon.
Old 10-04-05, 10:34 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

I thought Lexus specified Premium Unleaded Gas only (written on the Gas door) at least all the GS version. Why would there be a poll on what gas to use?

USE the gas the your engine is designed to run best with to ensure maximum performance/reliavility, never run lower rating gas than what is REQUIRED

"keep in mind that a gasoline’s octane rating is simply a measurement of the fuel’s ability to resist engine knocking. It does not refer to a substance or to the quantity of energy or power in the fuel. More correctly, an octane rating is often called an “anti-knock index”.The higher a fuel's octane number, the higher its resistance to engine knock.

You will also benefit from a higher octane rating if:

* the engine is knocking on the gasoline you are using, or
* you have knock sensor ignition that can take advantage of higher octane values at times of peak demand, or
* high summer temperatures, mountain driving, pulling heavy loads (including loaded roof racks) has temporarily increased your engine’s anti-knock index requirements.

While fuel with a higher octane rating cannot of itself deliver more power, in the above circumstances it can give an engine a greater ability to resist knocking, thereby helping it to deliver the full measure of power it is designed and tuned to provide.

In these cases, where drivers require their vehicles to continue providing peak performance despite challenging driving conditions, for improved responsiveness use higher octane gas like 89/91 but never lower

One other exception is found in high-performance vehicles, the use of more complex computer algorithms in their engine control systems to control spark timing using one or more knock sensors, enables better performance on higher-octane fuel. Owner’s Manuals for most of these vehicles will specify use of 91 octane fuel."

Last edited by BananaGS; 10-04-05 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-04-05, 11:45 AM
MVP GS3
Driver School Candidate

Thank You for everyones input on this
Old 10-04-05, 01:55 PM
gs300utah
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Chevron Premium 91 octane, since I've owned my gs300 (4yrs) w/o incident
Old 10-04-05, 02:02 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gs300utah
Chevron Premium 91 octane, since I've owned my gs300 (4yrs) w/o incident
I've run with Mobil 93 octane since day one. It's always worked best for all my other cars. However a recent story has given me pause.

Recently I bought a tune for my Marauder that is much more aggressive on the timing and it knocked quite readily. The tuner recommeded BP Amoco premium saying that the knock disappears in a couple miles of driving. Okay, I'll try it before giving up the power... I'm only half empty but I fill up with BP 93 and I'll be darned if the knock doesn't disappear within 10 miles of driving. So... fill up the GS with it and doggone if the part-throttle low-rpm high load knock doesn't disapper too!

I must say I'm pleasantly surprised having used Mobil and Shell premium previously without seeing such a dramatic difference. The BP doesn't seem to idle as smoothly as the other two but I can't deny the results.
Old 10-04-05, 03:29 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Premium unleaded is 98 RON here in Aus , costs about 5 cents a litre more than unleaded which is 92 RON , I've been running the 98 stuff , it sounds like 92 is more than anti knock enough ??

Quick Reply: GAS - What octane do you pump?Does it matter? How about different gas stations?