Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

flx a flat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-05, 07:19 PM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Question flx a flat?

Hi brothers(and sisters),

Of all things...I took the SC out for a drive on a nice friday night and to my dismay disocver a flat in my rear passenger tire this evening after being parked for the weekend until I take it out next. Least to say, I was not a happy camper. Anyways, in my frantic mood after dinner w/the wife I went to buy a can of fix-a-flat. I haven't tried it yet, but I was wondering if anyone would reccomend it at all. FYI i'm on 18" enkei's w/285/35/18" Sumitomos.

I can recall a past experience, lets say maybe 7 years ago when I used this on a friends camry, but can't really remember for my life if it really worked affectively or not. Anyways, my dilemna is whether I should (1)just use this per instructions on the back, or (2)take off the tire and bring it to a shop to get patched? I have been thinking of selling the set anyways and putting back my TT's, but I'll just patch it up first..hmm..

btw, I have searched and unfortunately I have not found anything, as far as the affectiveness(sp?) of such a product. Upon searching I did stumble across this kit, looks like something to keep around just in case http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...tkit/index.jsp

I understand that it is a temporary fix if anything. So I'm thinking i may just opt for number 2. Just seeking advice, thanks in advance.

-mike.
Old 09-28-05, 07:30 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Tire repair shops hate the stuff.

I would avoid using it but then if there is no other choice go ahead an use it. Just remember to leave a tip for the mechanic.

Salim
Old 09-28-05, 08:19 PM
Fiya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really depends on what type of flat you have. I have fixed many a flat tire and the best cheap fix is a worm like thing you insert into a puncture, it expands on the inside and ahs never failed me. This only works if you can locate the hole and is something about the diameter of a nail.

I have used the spray but everyone I have talked to doesn't recommend it. It melts the inside lining of your tire all the way around to find the hole... Althought the one time I used it on some stock tires it worked quickly and held the tire full until I got home (about 20 miles).
Old 09-28-05, 09:46 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that junk gets all over the inside of your wheel....it's super hard to take off. I'd only reccomend it in an emergency. Otherwise, go buy a $10 fix a flat kit like acidrool is talking about, it's easy enough i taught my gf how to use it.
Old 09-28-05, 11:26 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

I do not recommend it at ALL!!! I had a problem with one of my tires; although new, losing air. I was getting pissed because these were brand new tires and everytime i would refill them it would need to be refilled again. So I brought it to a tire shop and asked them what was going on. Turns out fixoflat was used on before on the wheel and had caused corrosion of the wheel. So the tire was good, but the wheel had corrosion on it. The dude started to sand down the corrosion on the wheel and the solved the problem of my tire losing air, but I don't know exactly how it helped. So DON'T USE IT!!
-Justin
Old 09-29-05, 01:08 AM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

Yea, i dont recommend it. When we take you're tire off, its a mess and smelly!
Old 09-29-05, 06:45 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Again to agree.. Don't use the fix-flat. Have the tire removed without impacts (by hand) and have the tire "plugged; tubes are patched. Lugs reinstalled by hand. Make sure they torque the lug nuts correctly.
Old 09-29-05, 11:54 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks everyone. I will seek out the kit which includes the "worm". I do remember I had a mechanic use it on one of my old cars and it did hold up. Wow, where has my memory gone!
Old 09-29-05, 12:24 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though it has more or less been said, I'll add my .02.

I don't agree with the "Don't use it" attitude towards canned "fix-a-flat". Bu tthere is a time and a place. I keep it in the trunk as a last resort option.

Worst case scenario: You get 2 flats at the same time due to glass in the road. What do you do with only 1 spare??

But remember, fix a flat is designed to be used to get you back on the road in order to get DIRECTLY to a mechanic!! It is NOT designed to seal a hole and then continue to use your tire normally. Once you put a can in a tire, that tire should be replaced ASAP.
Old 09-29-05, 12:27 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Only use that can of gummy stuff when you are stranded like a ****' in the middle of nowhere, and i mean NOWHERE!
If you use fix-a-flat on your tire, you can almost deem that tire completely useless the next time you get a flat. I've plugged or patched many tires before, and the customers that brought in fix-a-flatted tires are pretty much SCREWED.
Why? When plugging, it is very difficult to insert the tool in a nice perpendicular direction into the tread when there is this green crap under the belts. When patching, I'm not too happy with having to grind off dried up green crap and trying to figure out where the flat is.
So there. That's why.
Old 09-30-05, 08:11 AM
STRONG SC
Lead Lap

ouch, i didn't fix a flat could do all this damage! I'm putting the heavy *** 17' spare back in....
Old 09-30-05, 10:57 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by STRONG SC
ouch, i didn't fix a flat could do all this damage! I'm putting the heavy *** 17' spare back in....
Or buy an additional new tire in place of the spare. Use roadside assitance to tow to the near tire shop. Just print out tirerack's approved installer in your area and keep it in the car. You save weight on the spare rim to improve accelaration and braking performance. Plus no need to change tire on the road side (for safety reason). Probably save $ since you are paying only for mounting, balancing, and disposal and have lots of time to shop your favorite tire at a good price.
Old 09-30-05, 12:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

One thing I like about Mexico...there are guys on virtually every corner or out in the boonies who can fix your tire...they have all sorts of methods and cost under $25 USD per tire to fix. They call them a Vulcanizador.
Old 09-30-05, 01:06 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed. I keep a can of it in my trunk just in case. But make sure after you use it to bring it to a shop to get it taken off the rim and correctly patched. You should not drive prolonged times with that stuff in there.
Old 09-30-05, 03:12 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
One thing I like about Mexico...there are guys on virtually every corner or out in the boonies who can fix your tire...they have all sorts of methods and cost under $25 USD per tire to fix. They call them a Vulcanizador.
Nice, that is service on demand at a low cost!

Quick Reply: flx a flat?