Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Maintenance: best wiper blades?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-01, 07:51 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I just got back from Wally World where it was a wopping $0.67.

I'll post results here in a few hours after I try it and finisg my debadgeing process...........

Old 07-14-01, 07:53 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Dexter

and finisg my debadgeing process...........

briliant typing and spelling, huh

Old 07-14-01, 08:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by Dexter

briliant typing and spelling, huh

That's, er, briLLiant.
Old 07-14-01, 09:36 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Welp,

I've got the badges off, that really wasn't a problem. The problem is the left over adhesive. This stuff is like super buggers and snot; it has the consistency of thick rubber cement, but with a foamy texture.

I've used liberal amounts of Goof Off (couldn't find 3m adhesive remover around here), and lightly scraping with a plastic spatula like one you'd use in the kitchen.

Well, now all that's off, but the ***** is that the residue that was outlining the letters is a true pain in the ***.

I'm off to the hardware store for some turpentine or some derivative. G-O, WD40, Meguiars body scrub have little or no effect, and I don't want to scrub per se, so a stronger chemical I think is the route.

I'll be here for few more minutes, so if anyone has any other advice, shout it out.

Oh yeah, the spell chech feature rocks AND I've got pics coming.

TIA
Old 07-14-01, 10:04 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Paint thinnner doesn't work either. I'm just using a paper towel, and light rubbing back and forth. I really don't want to damage the finish.

To the casual observer, you can't really see it, but to me, it has to be absolutely gone.

I'm not sure what else to do; maybe siphone some gas out? :eek:

j/k

Please help if you can.
Enjoy your weekend.

Old 07-14-01, 11:40 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default New Thread

look for my new thread shortly with debage and tint pics

Old 01-05-03, 04:56 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MGS4
I've tried all kinds of wiper blades in my previous car such as AeroBlade, Triple edge, Multi-edge, Bosch, Motor Master, Exact Fit, PIAA, etc. and BELIEVE ME the OEM is the best. Bosch may come in second but definetly more expensive than just buy the OEM refills. PIAA is probably the best looking wiper blades out there. But for the performance, I'd stick with OEM.
What are the OEM wiper blades? are those different from Bosch, or PIAAs? What if I get OEM blades from Toyota dealer, do you think they are different if I get them from Lex dealer? It's time to change the wipers for me but I wasn't happy with Bosch so I'm thinking to get OEM one.(if they are different from others).
Old 01-05-03, 05:24 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, when I was a young boy I had to walk to school through 2 feet of snow, barefooted, and I'll tell you a thing or two.

After you've put on 3 or 4 of the non-Toyota windshield wiper blades, and after you've broken a couple of pieces off the wiper blade arms trying to get the other ones to fit, and after your back starts hurting because everything ain't sliding in like the instructions say, and after your wife tells you supper is ready and you almost blurt out an obscenity because you remember reading this post knowing full well you went against better judgement and bought a non-Toyota blade, only then will you realize you'll only (ONLY) use Toyota blades from then on.

Some of us just have to walk through the snow

Just like tires, some work perfect for the first few thousands of miles.....But how 'bout the last half of the tread?
Old 01-05-03, 07:16 PM
BlvdKing
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiper blades

In my experiance with all of my last cars I have always had to go back to OEM wiper blades after about 3-4 months. I live in Oregon and it rains alot here so good wipers are a very important piece of safety equipment!! BUY OEM you wont be sorry.
Old 01-05-03, 07:53 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give a try OEM blades, any differences btwn Toyota one and lexus one?
Old 01-05-03, 08:00 PM
BlvdKing
Driver

Originally posted by Taka
They are most likely the same. If you can get Toyota they may save you a few $.
Old 01-05-03, 08:30 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I'm gonna put in a pitch for PIAA SuperSilicones here. No problems with the GS, but I've had to replace blades on the RX after only 1-2 hours total use, about every 2-3 months since the car was new. Problem: chattering. And I clean the blades (always have) every time I wash the car. Mind you, it's HER car, so I try not to get too irate about things that bother me but don't bother HER, but even SHE began to complain about it.

I've had the SuperSilicones on for about 6 wet months now and still no chattering as well as zero streaking. The ONLY reason I went with something other than the OEM blades was because they just weren't getting it done! So far, no complaints. I should add that the windshield now acts like it has been RainX'd (there is something included with the wipers to "prep" the windshield that smells a great deal like RainX to me, but I've never had RainX last this long, either).

Highly recommend, at this point.
Old 01-06-03, 12:00 AM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by Taka
I got both of my sets from either Carson Toyota or Irontoad, both are online discounters for Lexus parts and both are very good. I just went and checked and both sets on my Lexi have "Toyota" imprinted on them. I don't know if they are the same as Toyota. I do know that they have a sort of graphite feel to them and when they are new you will get this graphite stuff on your hands when you install them. They have a more grayish look vs a blackish look. Either go to Lexus or get in touch with one of the guys above.
Old 01-06-03, 08:30 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Question

Originally posted by GS430_4Me
It also helps in cleaning the windshield and blades to add a glurg of ammonia to the washer fluid reservoir.

I've been doing this for over a decade, based on the recommendation of of a wiper blade manufacturer.
How much is a "glurg" ?
Old 01-07-03, 11:11 AM
Lvangundy

There was a thread about this..here's an attachment from it.
Attached Thumbnails Maintenance: best wiper blades?-untitled.gif  

Quick Reply: Maintenance: best wiper blades?