Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Need Help. Trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-05, 02:15 PM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help. Trouble starting

I have done a search and found some old post on my problem but I just need some more advice b4 i dish out some $$$. Couple times last week and this morning I had trouble starting my GS4. I would turn the key to start but nothing happens. The car dosent ( crank or turn ) whatever u call it, it just makes a click then nothing. After a few minutes the car will start but sometimes it takes a few tries. After I drive the car and start it back up, it fires right up but sometimes it sounds like its about to die before it fires up. My question is..Is this early signs of my starter going or could it be something else. I called Lexus and they told me that is sounds like the starter but they wanted to run a diagnosis test first which they quoted me at around $200. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-08-05, 02:25 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

After you drive it for a while, the car cranks and starts back up, and then wants to die. That doesn't sound like starter problems. How old is your battery?

JB
Old 09-08-05, 02:29 PM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JellyBean
After you drive it for a while, the car cranks and starts back up, and then wants to die. That doesn't sound like starter problems. How old is your battery?

JB
No, after I drive the car and shut it off then start it back up it cranks but at time it sounds like its about to die but it starts. I changed the battery a little over a year ago with the die hard gold.
Old 09-08-05, 02:44 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it to sears for a diagnostic. Since you have a sears battery, insist that it is free.

Scott
Old 09-08-05, 02:47 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextacy400
No, after I drive the car and shut it off then start it back up it cranks but at time it sounds like its about to die but it starts. I changed the battery a little over a year ago with the die hard gold.
If the engine cranks--even if it doesn't starts--then it's not the starter. (The starter should be called the "cranker" not the starter ) Normally when a starter fails, the engine won't crank at all. You may hear clicks and that's it. Yes, you could have an intermittent starter, but that's rare. It's much, much more common for your battery connections to be lose or corroded.

You said that the engine cranks normally, then the cranking slows down, but the car starts. Is that correct? If it is, it sure sounds like the starter isn't getting enough juice. Check your battery terminals and make sure that everything is very tight and very clean.

JB
Old 09-08-05, 03:04 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

If the engine cranks--even if it doesn't starts--then it's not the starter. (The starter should be called the "cranker" not the starter ) Normally when a starter fails, the engine won't crank at all. You may hear clicks and that's it. Yes, you could have an intermittent starter, but that's rare. It's much, much more common for your battery connections to be lose or corroded.

You said that the engine cranks normally, then the cranking slows down, but the car starts. Is that correct? If it is, it sure sounds like the starter isn't getting enough juice. Check your battery terminals and make sure that everything is very tight and very clean.

JB
Make sure your battery is in top condition. It's absurd for Lexus to want $200 to run a diagnostic test for a bad battery/battery terminal/connection. Dang stealerships.
Old 09-08-05, 03:12 PM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

JB
Sometimes I just get a click then other times i get a little crank ..I will check my battery terminals and see what happens.
Old 09-08-05, 04:36 PM
csaxon
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Single click / sometimes starts = Bad/worn starter contacts
Old 09-08-05, 06:10 PM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by csaxon
Single click / sometimes starts = Bad/worn starter contacts
How much to fix? I just cleaned my terminals and tightened everything back up. seems to be fine but I will see what happens in the morning.
Old 09-08-05, 08:29 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

more than likely your connections are loose and the starter isnt getting enough juice at times. if all connections are tight and this still happens then go to sears or any autozone and they will check your battery for free
Old 09-08-05, 08:44 PM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sha4000
more than likely your connections are loose and the starter isnt getting enough juice at times. if all connections are tight and this still happens then go to sears or any autozone and they will check your battery for free
I am hoping that tightening and cleaning is all i needed to do.
Old 09-09-05, 07:32 PM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

Well I have cleaned and tightened all the connections and I am still having this problem. Took alot more tries today to get it started. I guess I have to take it to the Stealership unless someone in PA or S Jersey knows someone I can take it too.
Old 09-09-05, 08:28 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I have cleaned and tightened all the connections and I am still having this problem. Took alot more tries today to get it started. I guess I have to take it to the Stealership unless someone in PA or S Jersey knows someone I can take it too.
Dude,

You are not listening. Csaxon said starter contacts, not battery contacts.

Regardless, your first stop should be an autozone or Sears to ge the battery checked.

Does your negative cable have a good ground?

There is absolutely no reason to take the car to Lexus when it is either your battery/connections or your starter.

If it is your starter then you are not going to be too happy as the starter is located, if I recall correctly, under the intake manifold. A real PITA to get to.

So please, don't waste your money at the dealer.

Get someone to jiggle your battery cables when you are trying to start it. ( Obviously making sure to not touch any metal!!)

Jonny
Old 09-09-05, 11:09 PM
Lextacy400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dx3
Dude,

You are not listening. Csaxon said starter contacts, not battery contacts.

Regardless, your first stop should be an autozone or Sears to ge the battery checked.

Does your negative cable have a good ground?

There is absolutely no reason to take the car to Lexus when it is either your battery/connections or your starter.

If it is your starter then you are not going to be too happy as the starter is located, if I recall correctly, under the intake manifold. A real PITA to get to.

So please, don't waste your money at the dealer.

Get someone to jiggle your battery cables when you are trying to start it. ( Obviously making sure to not touch any metal!!)

Jonny
Dude,

Already went to auto zone...battery is fine..they told me its the starter..
Old 09-10-05, 02:53 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

I have done a search and found some old post on my problem but I just need some more advice b4 i dish out some $$$. Couple times last week and this morning I had trouble starting my GS4. I would turn the key to start but nothing happens. The car dosent ( crank or turn ) whatever u call it, it just makes a click then nothing. After a few minutes the car will start but sometimes it takes a few tries. After I drive the car and start it back up, it fires right up but sometimes it sounds like its about to die before it fires up. My question is..Is this early signs of my starter going or could it be something else. I called Lexus and they told me that is sounds like the starter but they wanted to run a diagnosis test first which they quoted me at around $200. Any help would be appreciated.
the brushes in the amature have gone bad

if u want if u can reach the starter hit it with something(this is only a temp fix)

then try agian