Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Oil Change at Toyota Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-05, 06:13 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy Oil Change at Toyota Dealer

Anybody else have this experience? I started taking my RX300 to the local Toyota dealer for oil changes last year. The price was $30, the same as for Toyotas. Earlier this year they announced that the price for a Lexus was going up to $40. My explanations that it's the same engine as a Toyota Highlander, same company, etc. was to no avail.

Today, for the first time, they kept me waiting for almost 2 hours, when a Toyota owner who waits more than 1 hour for an Express Lube gets a free oil change the next visit. It was obvious they were putting the Toyotas ahead of me, and said that the free future oil change offer doesn't apply to Lexus owners.

Their story, when I complained, was that this is Toyota HQ policy and not up to them. I guess I won't be going back there again. Anybody have insight on whether this is localized or a centralized Toyota strategy?
Old 09-06-05, 06:21 PM
N2LEX2L
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...I've heard that some Toyota dealers have gone as far as not servicing Lexus vehicles at all. I guess Lexus caught on that they were losing money to Toyota, same company I know but.....
Old 09-07-05, 11:11 AM
Canyonero
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the more reason to DIY!
Old 09-08-05, 03:05 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face

Agreed, either DIY or find another dealer. What was the reason why the price went up $10? Because it's a Lexus? They charge you more & make you wait 2+ hours!?
Old 09-09-05, 08:32 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's insane man. I bring mine to a Toyota dealer who charges $29 and guarantees it wille be done in 29 minutes or less or it will be free.

Tell that dealer that he is a moron and go somewhere else.

Jonny
Old 09-09-05, 09:39 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

My stupid Toyota dealer doesn't even service Lexus vehicles. I asked them why not, and they told me that they "don't get the parts for Lexus vehicles." I told him that I could use Toyota parts from a Supra, they are directly swappable. They told me they don't work with them on any vehicle other than Toyota because of the "warranty issues with the parts/installation." I said Installation warranties are the priority of the dealer, not the parts manufacturer. And then I told them that if the part is defective, it will be covered under warranty as long as it goes into a Toyota engine.

Last time I checked, my engine said TOYOTA all over it...
Old 09-10-05, 11:22 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Last time I checked, my engine said TOYOTA all over it...
Exactly!
Old 09-10-05, 09:23 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bob2200
Anybody else have this experience? I started taking my RX300 to the local Toyota dealer for oil changes last year. The price was $30, the same as for Toyotas. Earlier this year they announced that the price for a Lexus was going up to $40. My explanations that it's the same engine as a Toyota Highlander, same company, etc. was to no avail.

Today, for the first time, they kept me waiting for almost 2 hours, when a Toyota owner who waits more than 1 hour for an Express Lube gets a free oil change the next visit. It was obvious they were putting the Toyotas ahead of me, and said that the free future oil change offer doesn't apply to Lexus owners.

Their story, when I complained, was that this is Toyota HQ policy and not up to them. I guess I won't be going back there again. Anybody have insight on whether this is localized or a centralized Toyota strategy?
i dunno about that. ive done some warr work for toyotas and i work for lexus. its a lil bit harder because we dont have toyota manuals. and not all toyota part numbers are in our computer system. they should be doing the work.
Old 09-10-05, 09:49 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

30 bucks for an oil change?? that's insane.. just to unscrew a plug??.. come on now.. you can do that yourself.. or are you one of those girlie mans that don't wanna get their hands dirty??.lol... all jokes aside. there are a lot of DIY on this site.. take advantage of it.
Old 09-11-05, 05:14 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
30 bucks for an oil change?? that's insane.. just to unscrew a plug??.. come on now.. you can do that yourself.. or are you one of those girlie mans that don't wanna get their hands dirty??.lol... all jokes aside. there are a lot of DIY on this site.. take advantage of it.
Come on now, be nice. I live in a high-rise and don't have a good place to change the oil. If you subtract $6 for a Lexus/Toyota filter, $6 for 6 quarts of oil, and say $1 for new crushable washer; you're down to $17 for the labor. Even if I had the space to do the oil change, it would take me at least an hour to get the parts, drain the oil, clean up the drain pan and everything else, and dispose of the oil somewhere. My time is worth more than $17/hour.
Old 09-11-05, 04:54 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Toyota dealers are a bunch of damn slime *****...... they're learning too much from the vultures(american car companies) ..... just go to Lexus they havent lost it at all.
Old 09-11-05, 05:20 PM
LS4Lexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Toyota dealers are a bunch of damn slime *****...... they're learning too much from the vultures(american car companies) ..... just go to Lexus they havent lost it at all.
Yeah, only $50 for an oil change at my local Lexus dealer, and another $50 for a tire rotation. They're keeping it real.
Old 09-11-05, 06:04 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
Come on now, be nice. I live in a high-rise and don't have a good place to change the oil. If you subtract $6 for a Lexus/Toyota filter, $6 for 6 quarts of oil, and say $1 for new crushable washer; you're down to $17 for the labor. Even if I had the space to do the oil change, it would take me at least an hour to get the parts, drain the oil, clean up the drain pan and everything else, and dispose of the oil somewhere. My time is worth more than $17/hour.

glad you didn't take it personally.. i do agree that your time might worth more than 17/hr.. but to have a feeling that you did it all by yourself is priceless.

Jack up the car: 3minuts
put jackstand on both sides: 1minut
get under the car : 1 minut
unscrew the oil drain plug: 3 minuts
waitting for half of the oil to come out: 1minut
unscrew the oil filter: 3minuts
waitting for the other half of the oils to come out: 3minuts
put new filter back on: 2 minuts
rescrew the oil plug: 1minut
refill oil: 2minuts
check for oil leaks anywhere: 3minuts
clean up and take the jack stands out: 10minuts...

33minuts overall.. 40minut after a can of beer to congradulate yourself...