Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Major Maint. Work at Lexus

Old 09-01-05, 08:48 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Major Maint. Work at Lexus

If you just did your major maintenance work (30K, 60K, etc.) at your Lexus dealer, you may want to check your air filter. I just realized that my Lexus dealer didn't change my air filter at 30K.

I had my oil changed at Boulder Toyota for the first time. The tech showed me a very dirty air filter and asked me if I want it changed for $15. The color was dark grey. I said sure and they changed it. I must admit that I never checked my engine air filter because it seems to be a pain to lift that cover. I trust my local Lexus dealership where I did my 30K. So I suspected rip off at first, so I thought that I was out 15 bucks. I needed to get back to the office, so I didn't bother arguing with them.

Then on my drive home, I realized that my RX300 had much better midrange acceleration. It used to hesitate in rolling acceleration (from 25 mph to 50 mph,) but no more. It accelerated with newfound eagerness up the hill, something that I haven't experienced in a long time.

So my best personal guess is that Lexus did not change my air filter when I did my 30K, of course I cannot say with 100% certainty. Also that dark grey stuff seemed to be New York City pollution, where I used to live. Colorado airborne pollution is either yellow or orange dust. The air is so clean here in Colorado, there's no way that the air filter got that dirty in just 18K of driving, not even in New York (I used to change my old car's filter, which was very easy to open and inspect.)

Anyway, check your air filter if you just had your major work done. Don't be like the lazy me.
Old 09-02-05, 07:09 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need a checklist to use with your maintenance proceedures to insure you don't forget anything.
Old 09-02-05, 10:02 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

I didn't forget. At about 15K, I attempted to check the air filter. The cover with air hose seemed very rigid and I was afraid that I might break something, so I didn't continue. I assumed Lexus would've replaced it at 30K. I was very adept at inspecting & changing air filter in my last car.

Update: This morning the Check Engine & VSC lights came on. I took a detour to a Lexus dealer. After I told the tech that the air filter was changed, he immediately knew what it was. He hooked up a loose hose behind the air box, reset a fuse, then sent me on my merry way. So I won't patronize Boulder Toyota again. I will go back to Burt Toyota for oil change from now on, which has always done quality work.
Old 09-03-05, 08:18 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I misunderstood.... The upper half of the filter box is lifted just enough to slip out the the air filter.. about two inches. If it is lifted much higher, the hose in the rear comes unplugged. There's a trick to it and it takes a little practice. I press the upper left side into the two release hinges on the lower bottom half prior the latching the two flat spring latches, insuring the hinges are fully seated.
Old 09-03-05, 08:58 AM
minty99z
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They either ripped you off or just forgot. People make mistakes, Im sure if you went to lexus and showed them you bought an air filter at toyota but paid for it in your 30k service they would do more for you than give you your money back ....
I work there, trust me....youd be surprised......
Old 09-03-05, 08:28 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Thanks. I guess I'll just lift it by 2 inches from now on. I can lift like 6 inches easily on my last car. I'll check it before my 60K service (49K now.) I appreciate the instruction.

I don't think that I'll go to Lexus to get some money back, since I can't prove 100% that Lexus didn't change my air filter. I believe in innocence until proven guilty. My Lexus service here has always been outstanding. And they did change my cabin air filter at 30K. I checked that one.

Boulder Toyota did screw up my hose, that's for sure. Also they didn't wipe oil off the front engine mount like Burt Toyota always do. I also just found out that they pumped all my tires to 35 psi. Holy cow. (I do 33/30.) So I won't be going back there.

Anyway folks, check your air filter. Don't be like me.