Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

What torque wrench do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 06:59 AM
FaceUT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chuckb,

I just returned the exact same torque wrench to Sears as I snapped off the square end where sockets are mounted. This was at only 70lbs torque and it's rated for 250.

I am considering the 1/2" drive as a replacement - but Sears return policy on these wrenches is pretty pathetic. 90 days for calibration / 1 year otherwise. And then they will only repair it - not replace it.

I also found the shorter handle to be a pain when using it on wheels - I would highly recommend a longer 1/2" drive model.
Old 07-06-05, 07:52 AM
LMSguy
Pole Position

No you should not use a torque wrench to remove anything.it can throw the calibrations out of whack.

And when you are done using it ALWAYS return it to zero.
Old 07-06-05, 08:32 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
I have a craftsman 3/4 drive and a Matco 1/2 drive. the craftsman is my fav, but the Matco is good for things like drains plugs and the like because of the lower torque settings.
you really should be using the 3/8 for drain plugs and such

1/2 inch drive is meant for the bigger nuts and bolts (lug nuts,suspension )

and what are you using 3/4 drive for that stuff is for like Mac trucks
Old 07-06-05, 10:23 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys this how your trunk should look, see how nicely the 1/2 torque wrench fits next to the jack, an extension(if you have staggered wheels) and a thinwall 21mm socket, don't leave home without it!

Old 07-06-05, 12:53 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I am going to check out pepboys to see if they have one like NEO posted cheaper than tirerack. If I cant find it I guess I will go to tire rack. I also have the gorilla bar that neo posted and that works great
Old 07-06-05, 03:27 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LMSguy
No you should not use a torque wrench to remove anything.it can throw the calibrations out of whack.

And when you are done using it ALWAYS return it to zero.
Very good advice. To add one more:
If the wrench has been unused for several weeks, its highly recommended to set the wrench at low
torque (about 20 or 25) and tighten a set lugs to work in the oil in the wrench. After that, all set to go at higher torque. (per manual)
Old 07-06-05, 04:06 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

i have the craftsman 1/2 torque wrench....it works great but the problem is that the part that you adjust the torque is made of plastic and breaks rather easily....i already broke one....and sears will not replace it for you....snap-on makes one that is all metal but kinda expensive.
Old 07-06-05, 07:51 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BLK98GS3
i have the craftsman 1/2 torque wrench....it works great but the problem is that the part that you adjust the torque is made of plastic and breaks rather easily....i already broke one....and sears will not replace it for you....snap-on makes one that is all metal but kinda expensive.
Sears craftsman tools are not what they were many years ago. Their quality has really gone down hill. Used to be when a tool broke, you could bring it back and get another one on the spot. Btw, the torque wrench from tire rack is all metal - no plastic
Old 07-06-05, 08:04 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rheiy
Sears craftsman tools are not what they were many years ago. Their quality has really gone down hill. Used to be when a tool broke, you could bring it back and get another one on the spot. Btw, the torque wrench from tire rack is all metal - no plastic
it's still like that with most craftsman tools. that's why I was surprised to see only a 90 warranty on their torque wrench
Old 07-06-05, 10:38 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by benzo555
I use a Husky from Home Depot. I like it and very affordable!
That's what I have too, it's similar to the Craftsman but cost is less. Works great.
Never use torque wrench for removal. Proper tool is a breaker bar, 18" to 24" (avail at Sears).
Old 07-06-05, 10:40 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
it's still like that with most craftsman tools. that's why I was surprised to see only a 90 warranty on their torque wrench
Their warrantees have gone to the dogs. I tried to return a stripped hole saw mandrel for replacement a week ago and got laughed at. It's part of a tool that should never strip out. Had to pay for a new one.
Old 07-07-05, 06:06 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
The cheapest way to do this is to get a metal pipe from the hardware store that will fit over the OEM wrench. You will often find leftover pieces that are about 2ft long that they will sell you for cheap. I have one that fits over the OEM bar and fits in the groove that holds the lug wrench.

You can spend a little more money and get this:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/tools/pw1.jsp

I have this too and it works fine.
Thanks for the tip, Neo. I went to Home Depot today at picked up 22 inches of 1/2" steel pipe (the stock lug nut wrench is about 10" from the bend to the end, so 22" of pipe provides about one foot of extension). The pipe fits over the wrench perfectly. Also, this length of pipe fits nicely on the small shelf just to the right of the spare and just to the left of the jack crank. However, as I was driving home, the pipe broke loose from where I had secured it and it was rattling around back there. So, I went back to Home Depot and bought 1/2" pipe insulation to slide over the pipe. Now, it sits securely next to the spare and, in the event it breaks loose, it won't rattle around or damage anything. I think this would be a good thing for most of us to have in our trunks, even if the only reason is to make it easier to change a flat tire.

e-man

Last edited by e-man; 07-07-05 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-07-05, 06:12 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

great tips e-man. Thanks for the info
Old 07-07-05, 06:42 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Indio
Guys this how your trunk should look, see how nicely the 1/2 torque wrench fits next to the jack, an extension(if you have staggered wheels) and a thinwall 21mm socket, don't leave home without it!

So I'm about to install my wheels as soon as the lugs come in... Is the torque wrench(1/2) the right size for and a 21mm thin wall socket?

What does the extension tube do again? slide over something so the wheels don't get scratched

Tony
Old 07-07-05, 06:52 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
What does the extension tube do again? slide over something so the wheels don't get scratched

Tony
The extension tube gives you more leverage which makes it easier to loosen tight lug nuts. The stock wrench is only about 10-12 inches long, and it can be really difficult to loosen the lug nuts without standing on it (which you really shouldn't do).

Quick Reply: What torque wrench do you use?