Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Gas smell in my '92 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-05, 11:49 AM
jmarks2001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas smell in my '92 SC400

Just bought a '92 Lexus SC 400 (185k miles) from my father-in-law. Before he sold it to me he had some work done on it. One of the things he had two different mechanics look into was a gas smell inside the car. Neither mechanic could figure out how or why it was happening.

It's real noticeable when you get in it after it's been sitting overnight. It persists if you don't set the A/C to "fresh air" and leave it on "circulate". Once you set it to fresh-air, it's basically gone within a minute (although it kind of still lingers in your nose).

The prime suspect for both mechanics was the fuel pump and bothe confirmed that it wasn't the culprit.

Anyone else experience this in their "older" Lexus and figure out what was causing it?
Old 06-28-05, 09:31 AM
jmarks2001
Driver School Candidate

Wanted to give this a "bump" and provide a little more info.

There's another problem with the car that might be related to the gas smell. It seems to have problems starting mainly after short trips. Starts fine after it's been parked for a while. But if I drive a few minutes, run into the store (or whatever I'm doing), when I get in and try to start it up, it seems to have trouble. It turns over, but stalls out quickly. I wait 30 seconds, try it again, if it happens again...i wait a minute. That usually does the trick. Thought it might be related to the gas smell. But if it was an interruption or leak in the line, you'd think the mechanic would have figured that out pretty easily??
Old 06-29-05, 08:00 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jmarks2001
Wanted to give this a "bump" and provide a little more info.

There's another problem with the car that might be related to the gas smell. It seems to have problems starting mainly after short trips. Starts fine after it's been parked for a while. But if I drive a few minutes, run into the store (or whatever I'm doing), when I get in and try to start it up, it seems to have trouble. It turns over, but stalls out quickly. I wait 30 seconds, try it again, if it happens again...i wait a minute. That usually does the trick. Thought it might be related to the gas smell. But if it was an interruption or leak in the line, you'd think the mechanic would have figured that out pretty easily??
Replaced the fuel filter? Those get pretty clogged up, after awhile. And there is no gas leak right? How about leaky injectors? Maybe the car is flooded when you try to start it? I would of said fuel pump too but you ruled it out.