Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner

Old 06-13-05, 11:41 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Yes, the thinner air helps, but I had to deal with some mountain terrains as well.
The thinner air in the higher elevations makes a BIG difference in fuel economy. We travel across the country every summer and can prove that we get much better mileage with 86 octane in the higher elevations (Arizona, New Mexico, West Texas also Nevada into Utah). We get more to a tank and much better fuel economy in those states going long distances and constant highway speeds.
Old 06-13-05, 10:01 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually all gas have cleaning additives required by law - including the gas you buy from Costco, Walmart, or mom-n-pop joints. Enough to keep the fuel injectors clean. Unless somebody dumped sugar into your gas tank, there's no need to use any gas treatment.

I used Techron in my last car. Didn't do jack. My 2002 RX300 has never seen Techron (or any Chevron station) and it runs fine.

My personal opinion is that there's no need to worry about the fuel injectors getting gummed up or clogged (as seen on TV.) That's what fuel filter is for. Also gasoline is a very strong solvent. Don't believe the scare-tactic marketing. Gas additive products fix a problem that didn't exist.
Yes EPA requires all gas sold to have min amount of additives. But they are not enough to clean according to many automakers: Here is a WSJ 4/9/05 report on major automakers that recommend higher amount of detergent. Toyota is one of them.

"BMW, Honda Motor Co., Toyota Motor Corp. and General Motors Corp. joined together to recommend gasoline that meets a higher standard for detergents than the one set by the EPA. Those making the "Top Tier" list for all grades of their gasoline: Shell, Chevron, ConocoPhillips' brands of Conoco, Phillips 66 and 76, QuikTrip, Entec Stations and MFA Oil. According to the car makers, the EPA standard is minimal and, in many cases, isn't sufficient to keep engines clean."

Costco gas comes from same refineries as Shell/Cheron/BP but the amount of cleaning detergent is far less.
I agree with you that those who fills up at Shell or Chevron would not benefits as much and Premium gas is a waste for 1MZFE engines.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 06-13-05 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-13-05, 10:21 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stick to the original subject, people, please. I saw lots of long posts, but no proof that Techron works. All I saw were "you are in high altitude," "the computer is inaccurate," etc.

I believe that I have shown sufficient proof to everyone that there's no need to use Techron (bottled additive) nor premium gas to keep the engine clean thus get great gas mileage. What a few Techron lovers do with the info is totally up to them.

I will stop posting in this thread.
Old 06-13-05, 10:33 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Stick to the original subject, people, please. I saw lots of long posts, but no proof that Techron works. All I saw were "you are in high altitude," "the computer is inaccurate," etc.

I believe that I have shown sufficient proof to everyone that there's no need to use Techron (bottled additive) nor premium gas to keep the engine clean thus get great gas mileage. What a few Techron lovers do with the info is totally up to them.

I will stop posting in this thread.
You seem to only choose or read what you believe in. That's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinions. We all have shared our experiences. No need to bash products or talk them down. If you don't like it fine you've argued your point. If you like it great i've put my piece..Again, it's all preference in the end. FYI we've been on topic. Everything here that's been discussed is totally pertinent.
Old 06-13-05, 10:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Canyonero
I'm about to go through another oil change. I fill up my car regularly at Chevron with techron. Is it necessary to purchase the techron concentrate bottle you're supposed to use every time you change your oil or would that be just a waste of money?
Just to show we've been on topic and to reinforce this topic...i've explained previously..it's not necessary to add Techron additive if you regularly use Chevron w/Techron fuels.
Old 11-30-05, 11:30 AM
setab7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugged Fuel Injectors

Just brought my 2004 RX 330 in for 10000 mile service. Bought car new a year ago. Dealership called this a.m. to inform me that my injectors were plugged and that is the cause of engine hesitation and fuel mileage in the 12-17MPG range. Lexus stated that poor gas in Oregon and Washington was the cause. Told me cost of repair was $1800.00 which Lexus was pick up this time only. But they want $400.00 to clean the carbon out of the system. Tech said the injectors had a very fine spray pattern and clogged. I basically told him B.S. and called the General Manager of the store to ask him why Lexus sold vehicles in Oregon that could not handle premiumChevron fuel. No call back yet. Service tech also told me to expect a reoccurance of the problem as Lexus has no fix and next time no complimentary repair. This crazy to me and sounds like Lexus as a injector design problem. I have several injected vehicles and have no injector problems. Two neighbors have 2004 RX 330 with no problems. My Lexus was made in Japan. Any one with similiar problems? Only solution seems to be to unload the car fast.
Old 11-30-05, 12:09 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I felt nothing with techron. I have to say I felt something using the STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner. Car and Driver magazine did a spread on that particular cleaner some years back, and it proved to be effective. I've been using it ever since
Old 12-01-05, 06:05 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

In order to get Techron to even remotely work for me...I have to dump in two of the bottles on a full tank. What I often do is dump one bottle of Restore fuel injector cleaner and one bottle of Techron and that seems to clean everything up.
Old 12-17-05, 05:34 PM
cbr1100xx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FoMoCo & Techron

I won't take much time or space here; only to tell you that Ford allows dealers to charge them for using Techron in specific warranty repairs. As parts mgr of a Ford dealership I stock a case for use on varnish buildup on fuel pumps and fuel sending units. Must be somewhat effective as we have cut our pump/sender replacements dramatically. Might try it just for the heck of it in my recently aquired 92 SC400.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Pearl white, loaded, 99k, bone stock. (Couldn't find a Mustang this nice for the price)

Last edited by cbr1100xx; 12-17-05 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-18-05, 02:58 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, just want to add my $0.02. My girl now lives in Pittsburgh and has a Rav4 she regularly fills up with Costco gas. Last time i visited, her car was idling rough and noisy on hard accel. When she was here, I took care of her car, but now no one does. So I did a complete tune up (the car needed one anyway and I was just postponing doing it anyway). When driving around felt great, but still idled rough. I cleaned the throttle body (dirty as hell) with no change. As a last resort, I dumped a bottle of techron in the gas tank and told myself this would be the final act then I would break down and go to a mechanic... after about 50 miles of driving with the techron, the idle became much smoother. Startups are smoother and no more sputtering.

So two fold... the discount gas (Costco) either has none or less detergent than other branded pump gas. Also, techron works. This is my experience.
Old 03-05-16, 01:11 AM
hamooduae
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

iv got my F for 3 years now ~ 2008

i live in middle east , i see people here cleaning their injectors by taking them out n cleanin them by machines ..cost aroung 150 $ ~

well is it ok to use chemical , injector cleaner ?
if yes please give me a brand name

i guess i read all injector cleaners have same activity

thanks
Old 03-07-16, 04:34 AM
dfc350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually all gas have cleaning additives required by law - including the gas you buy from Costco, Walmart, or mom-n-pop joints.
This is exactly right, but modern engines need more than what the law requires.

Last edited by dfc350; 03-07-16 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-07-16, 05:38 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by hamooduae
iv got my F for 3 years now ~ 2008

i live in middle east , i see people here cleaning their injectors by taking them out n cleanin them by machines ..cost aroung 150 $ ~

well is it ok to use chemical , injector cleaner ?
if yes please give me a brand name

i guess i read all injector cleaners have same activity

thanks
Machine cleaned injector services provides the best results with actual data to back up flow characteristics. Also, often rubber hardware ..o-rings and seals are replaced at the same time.

Like others on this thread, i find little value from off the shelf injector cleaners if you use a top tier fuel source.
Old 04-18-16, 11:47 PM
Spartan8
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Techron works pretty well and I've used it on occasion. But one of the best additives for both the crankcase and the gas tank is ATF. I never would have believed it but years ago I had a Lexus mechanic who did side work on my '95 LS 400 and he told me about old mechanics he knew that swore by it.

For the gas, the procedure is the same. Before you refill with gas, put a couple of ounces into the gas tank. The fuel on top so that it mixes throughout the gas. No special ATF I was told. And the cheap stuff is fine. i did this in my LS and am now doing it in my '10 LS 460 AWD as I'm sick of paying $6 bucks for Techron which I think is one of the better additives on the market. But $3 or $4 for a quart of ATF that lasts a year since I don't do it every tank. I'm sure some of you have already - mid paragraph - opened a new browser session and are amazed at what you're reading. You'll find lots of articles on it. Pretty well known and apparently the ATF is a good detergent. And its slick enough that it works well combined with your regular or synthetic oil in the crankcase. One guy told me that he would put about half a quart of ATF in his oil just before doing an oil change. Run the engine for about 5 to 10 minutes to get it up to temp, then shut it off and change the oil. He said that the ATF made the old oil thinner and it would just fly out of the drainplug. He thought he got more of the old oil out of the system doing this and any debris, metallic pieces etc.

I didn't believe it either.
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (04-30-19)