Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

!!! Transmission Fluid Question !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-05, 06:26 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
when you say clean the filter mesh screen ..what are you exactly doing

and where are you getting a tranny gasket from

ive had my pan down ..there is no gasket .....i kick my self for not taking pics
Perhaps the tranny pan is different on the GS than my ES.......I did replace the gasket & have the filter mesh screen.

What is this additive exactly? Name of it & is there a website?
Old 05-18-05, 09:27 AM
Luxury Motorworks
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.bgfindashop.com/unitedstates/
This is the web site for BG. They have many different additives. The only ones We can vouch for are the oil and transmission additives. I can tell you we actually have guests call us back after their sercice and tell us how much smoother and quieter their cars are. I know it sounds crazy but it is true.
We have one guest that has a 1991 pathfinder with 260,000 miles on it. Every time he comes in he sais his tranny is starting to slip again. By the way he comes in like every 15,000 miles. He is very rough on his truck. Every time he leaves he calls us back and tells us his car is fine again. We also had a guest towed in with a 1992 lexus sc400 and her tranny was slipping. Also another one that neglectic her car. All we did was a complete transmission fluid flush and added the ATC+ and she has not had a problem since.
I don't belive it any more than you guys do but I can honestly say it is true. I would not stick my neck out on the line if I didn't think the stuff was incredible. We will be doing more testing with their other products in the future and we will keep you posted.
They will also be one of our vendors at the August 13th LMS Lexus fest and they will demonstrate all of their products so you can see for your self.

The GS300 uses FIPG which is a Toyota gasket sealer. Part #00295-01281
The filter is a non-serviceable micro mesh screen. (no need to clean or replace)

A complete transmission flush should not cost more than $150.00 from the Toyota dealer.
I recommend finding a good reputable shop to do it for about $100.00
Anything cheaper than that I might be a little scepticle.
Old 05-18-05, 09:45 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default BG Quick Clean Pre-Flush

Part no. 106
I have used this product in the past

It is described as "a solvent/dispersant cleaner that will remove accumulated deposits from the valve body, filter screen and other AT components".

I had the Toyota dealer add this prior to a flush on a BG machine. Can't swear by it, but will say that I have been impressed with every BG product I have tried so far. They have built up a certain amount of trust with me & trannies are expensive!!!

damon
Old 05-19-05, 06:05 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

I have a hard time believing an 'additive' is a 'cure all' in a bottle to fix problems that already exist. My owners manual stresses not to use anything other than the recommended (& compatable) tranny fluids only.
Old 05-19-05, 09:54 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LexusFreak,

Perhaps you miss understand. This stuff is around for 30 minutes tops.

It has a very short shelf life in terms of how long it is in your tranny. It ,in theory is only there to aid the flush. It is a pre-flush (pretty self explanatory). It is not there when the flush is finished. You are then back to pure T-IV fluid in 100% of your fluid capacity and if it does what it claims your valve body & filter screen are cleaner as well.

I have never had a tranny sympton & try to keep it that way!! damon

Last edited by damon; 05-19-05 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-19-05, 11:13 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by damon
LexusFreak,

Perhaps you miss understand. This stuff is around for 30 minutes tops.

It has a very short shelf life in terms of how long it is in your tranny. It ,in theory is only there to aid the flush. It is a pre-flush (pretty self explanatory). It is not there when the flush is finished. You are then back to pure T-IV fluid in 100% of your fluid capacity and if it does what it claims your valve body & filter screen are cleaner as well.

I have never had a tranny sympton & try to keep it that way!! damon
Gotcha damon, I did in fact miss understand you. Thanks for clearing that up......I thought the additive stayed in the tranny, not use it for the 'flush'.
Old 08-26-05, 01:08 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, so those of you with a GS400... how do you perform a tranny oil change out? I want to get mine done asap, and really dont want to pay Lexus $400. yeah, you read right, $400. Thats a little nuts if you ask me. I think i got the jist of it... I have to pour in the dip stick. My question is how do i get the old oil out? I havent looked at the bottom of the tranny yet, so i dont know if there is a drain plug or not (i assume there is). Also, what kind of tranny fluid do i need and how many quarts do i need? Any tips and all the cool stuff is appreciated! FYI I want to do this this weekend so any FAST help is appreciated!
Old 08-26-05, 01:33 PM
Luxury Motorworks
Driver

There is a 14 mm drain plug in the bottom of the transmission oil pan. Just drain the fluid into a bucket or oil drain pan. Refill with 2 quarts of TIV automatic transmisson fluid.
Part # 00279-000T4-01

This is a drain and refill only. If you have not changed the fluid in the past 15,000 miles I suggest you do a complete flush.

To do the complete flush it is a lot more complicated and if you are not experienced you need a transmission flush machine. Or You can just do your drain and refill a few different times after running the engine and the transmission through all the gears. However, that is not the most efficient way of doing it.

Good Luck!
Old 08-26-05, 02:02 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

yeah, the last time it was done was about 30k ago... so where can i go OTHER than Lexus to get that crap done... 400 is a little steep if they are just doing a drain and fill. so im affraid to ask what a full flush would cost.

How much do you guys charge at Luxury Motorworks? For some reason 400 seems a tad bit on the "we are trying to take you for a ride" side...
Old 08-26-05, 02:28 PM
Luxury Motorworks
Driver

You can go to jiffy lube or some type of quick lube. The problem with them sometimes is they have to use their own fluids and they will not use yours if you bring it and they are usually incompetent. Chances are they will not have the TIV transmission fluid. You can also just call a few independent garages to see if they have a transmission flush machine. If you get your own fluid and take it to them they should not charge you more than $150.00. You can also try a Toyota dealer. Call them to see if they will do the flush for you. Sometimes their prices are 1/2 of what Lexus will charge and they will have the TIV transmission fluid.
We charge $150.00 for the complete flush with 8 quarts of fluid.
Old 08-27-05, 07:53 AM
MKLEX

Default recom... SB

this is service bulletin with reviewed info on trans fluids.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pages from service bulletin.pdf (23.0 KB, 314 views)
Old 08-30-05, 06:21 AM
shaman
Rookie

If you are going to flush, pull the pan out and clean it first, otherwise the crap will get circulated into your tranny, and may get lodged

Also, be aware of power flushes, as the same thing can happen. If the transmission pump can't move it, then you probably don't want it moved

Drain and fill is the safest way, or a hose removal with refill from the dipstick like mentioned above.
Old 08-30-05, 04:51 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I just finished the drain and fill on my trans. I went to toyota and picked up 3 quarts just in case i had any spills. When I drained it, I looked at the fluid and it looked "Maroonish." When i looked at the fresh fluid it was red. So is maroonish bad? When lexus told me i needed to get it drained they said the fluid was BLACK. They made it a point to say that the fluid was black. Is this maroonish color what they are refering to as Black? Is that what it is supposed to look like when its dirty? I needed to get a drain and fill anyhow, so either way. You could tell that the fluid was once red, but it was a mixture of red and purple. (almost like dirty oil, you can tell it was at one point caramel in color even though its darker) I just feel bad, because now if this is just mildly dirty and they were going to try and charge me $400 for that service, then I'm going to lose all faith in the dealer that I go to. hmm...

Last edited by Stage3; 08-30-05 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-30-05, 08:25 PM
shaman
Rookie

Have you used any additives in the tranny? DO you happen to know what color the material in your transmission is, such as clutch packs and bands.
Old 08-30-05, 08:41 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

No additives. Last tranny drain and fill (or flush) cant remember which, was done at my 60k service at 75k. Lexus did the service, so if there is anything the way it shouldnt be... Lexus would be at fault as they are the ONLY ones to have touched that car.

Quick Reply: !!! Transmission Fluid Question !!!