Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

ES oil leak problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-05, 04:45 PM
LexusDaisy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lexon Valdese

My grandkids always wanted me to name my '96 ES, and I think I've found something very fitting, "the Lexon Valdese". I named it after the Exxon Valdese because they both have something in common: EXPENSIVE OIL LEAKS!

About 6 months ago I remember seeing a list of shame posted here for the ES that included such goddies as wind noise and engine oil leaks. Although at that time mine did leak enough air to sound like the windows are cracked when they are not, I was very grateful not to have the oil leak problem.

It just turned 120,000 miles last month and had the oil changed a little early to celebrate (never over 3500 between changes). I was told that I had an oil leak.... that it looked like it was not from the valve cover or pan gaskets. Sure enough I started seeing small oil slicks in my driveway

If not the pan or valve covers, is this the main oil seal? If so, how to fix... how much? Is this a Lexus problem, or a Camry V6 issue as well? How long will leak repairs hold up? How fast will the leak progress? Is there any oil additive that might help without screwing up the engine?

Too bad since the engine still has very good power, has no mechanical sounds of age that you would find on domestic junk with similar milage, and never burns any oil. I DO like this car a lot and will consider making any needed repairs, but a little re-assurance would help right now. What else big and expansive can I look forward to?

I heard these cars last forever, and know that my wife's 92 Camry did. So if I keep and continue to baby my ES, what likely problems will I encounter by 200,000 miles? Transmission, engine valves, bearings and/or rings? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-20-05, 07:35 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Those seals are just rubber and they will worn out after a few hundred thousand miles.They're just like your shoes( but more expensive to replace) that the shoes still good, but the buttom worn out and you have to buy a new pair.

The same thing goes to your tires, brakes, drive belts, timing belts,axles boots and a lot of normal wear and tear items. I don't know how many set of tires and brakes you have to replaced up until 120K miles. Those engine seals work the same way, but you don't have to replace them as often as other items.

Most of the customers with older cars have a few choices.

1. Fix it and pay a thousand dollars= keep the car with no monthly payment.

2. Sell the car and buy a newer car and make some monthly payment( finance).

3. Don't fix it and drive it until it hit the ground( you got cell phone, right?).

All of thes options are yours.
Old 04-21-05, 05:54 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by LexusDaisy
My grandkids always wanted me to name my '96 ES, and I think I've found something very fitting, "the Lexon Valdese". I named it after the Exxon Valdese because they both have something in common: EXPENSIVE OIL LEAKS!

About 6 months ago I remember seeing a list of shame posted here for the ES that included such goddies as wind noise and engine oil leaks. Although at that time mine did leak enough air to sound like the windows are cracked when they are not, I was very grateful not to have the oil leak problem.

It just turned 120,000 miles last month and had the oil changed a little early to celebrate (never over 3500 between changes). I was told that I had an oil leak.... that it looked like it was not from the valve cover or pan gaskets. Sure enough I started seeing small oil slicks in my driveway

If not the pan or valve covers, is this the main oil seal? If so, how to fix... how much? Is this a Lexus problem, or a Camry V6 issue as well? How long will leak repairs hold up? How fast will the leak progress? Is there any oil additive that might help without screwing up the engine?

Too bad since the engine still has very good power, has no mechanical sounds of age that you would find on domestic junk with similar milage, and never burns any oil. I DO like this car a lot and will consider making any needed repairs, but a little re-assurance would help right now. What else big and expansive can I look forward to?

I heard these cars last forever, and know that my wife's 92 Camry did. So if I keep and continue to baby my ES, what likely problems will I encounter by 200,000 miles? Transmission, engine valves, bearings and/or rings? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Well first things first, take the car to your dealer or independent repair shop & get them to tell you exactly what is causing the oil leak & let us know with the estimate for repairs.

As for the other stuff, next time you get the tranny fluid flushed, you might want to consider installing a new tranny pan gasket (clean the filter mesh screen at the same time) as a preventitive measure.

If the car is properly maintained & driven normally, you should not encounter any major engine repairs other than regular maintenance (plus timing belt & water pump replacement). I'll put it this way, the body on the car should give out before the engine & tranny. After repairing any leaks & replacing the gaskets for engine & tranny (assuming there is an enging gasket that needs to be replaced) consider switching to synthetic oil. Good Luck!