Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-01, 07:32 AM
blowntire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Help! I have a 1997 SC400 and the check engine light came on during the drive to work this morning. The car is running fine, though. Can anyone tell me how to retrieve the code(s)? Do I need a code reader? And where can I find a list of trouble codes and their meanings? I don't have my owner's manual (it probably doesn't have this info anyway).
Old 06-13-01, 10:24 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

You'll definitly need a code reader. You have an OBD II system and the reader is required. Take it to the dealer, how many miles do you have?
Old 06-14-01, 06:35 AM
blowntire
Driver School Candidate

The car has 70K miles. Just bought it last weekend. My first Lexus, and I love it, but the check engine light has got me bummed. Ruined an otherwise perfect Lexus ownership "experience".

Is there a consumer-type code reader available, or am I stuck with taking it to the dealer?
Old 06-14-01, 06:43 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

You can by a generic scan tool (about $200.00) thru Mac or Matco, or Snap on Tools. But it's capabilities are limited.
Old 06-16-01, 05:38 AM
blowntire
Driver School Candidate

Default Code P0446

Actually, I had an OBDII code scanner I bought for another vehicle, and luckily it works on the SC400, too! I thought I would have to buy another one.

It reports code P0446, which is some sort of "powertrain" code. Any idea what this means? Where can I get a list of codes and their meanings?
Old 06-17-01, 09:43 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

That's an evaporative system code. Improper purge, insuffient purge in evap system. You need to get the evap system checked out at the dealer. Mainly a smog related device.
Old 06-21-01, 01:20 PM
blowntire
Driver School Candidate

Talking Solved!!

Found out today that this code is the subject of a technical service bulletin:

Bulletin No. EG001-98: EVAP System Diagnoisis.

Basically says you have to replace the charcoal canister, vacuum hoses, and a VSV (whatever that is).
Old 05-05-03, 03:17 PM
Karzik
Driver School Candidate

VSV - Vacuum Switching Valve
Old 05-06-03, 05:23 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 95 ES300 in which the same thing happened. EGR Valve Modulator and Vacuum Switch Valve was just Replaced by Toyota dealer for about $375. It would have failed emissions inspection without fix. I also needed to Replace Oxygen Sensor a few months ago. All caused Check Engine light. I think this is common with Lexus vehicles. Everything else with the car has been flawless but these valves were a *****.
Old 05-08-03, 12:42 PM
spdwyvette
Driver School Candidate

I know for my ES300, the Hanyes manual shows how to retrieve the codes using a jumper wire in the diag port under the dash. I'm throwing a code #55 (Knock Sensor needs replacing). It might be the same for other Toyota's?

spdwyvette
['93 Es300, '01 Corvette]
Old 05-13-03, 01:54 PM
Grengo
Driver School Candidate

thats because your car is obd1....obd2 vehicles do not offer such a nice option
Old 05-20-03, 03:55 PM
BMJ
Driver School Candidate

I had the same experience with my(wifes) '96 GS300. 2 weeks after buying it at 44k miles, the ck eng light lit up End of joy for little lights that should be not one annoy me. So I purchased a code reader, code said in the P401 something. Told myself at 44 k miles, should not have anything major? Consulted here at CL. Was mentioned that not tightening the gas cap adequately or having a bad one is a common light on cause in the fuel sys. With the code reader, erased the trouble code from the ECU(nice feature), tightend down the cap well after using "SUPREME" gas. Never has the light come on again in almost 2.4 years.

Some owners like to "top off" the tank to the top of the fuel nozzle, this is bad for it will clog the evap system with raw fuel at the charcoal canister usually. Fill up the tank and let the auto shut off if working do its job at the pump.
Old 05-20-03, 08:40 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

let's here it for Dodge.
My dodge truck has a feature, turn the key from off to on 5 times and then leave it in the on postion.
The check engine light flashes a "start code, then all codes that are triggered, then a stop code" then repeats the sequence one more time. No code reader, no jumper wire needed to simply retrieve codes.
Whay can't Lexus do that?, They do it with the AC system.

oh well.
steviej

Last edited by steviej; 05-20-03 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-21-03, 07:23 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default diagnostics

StevieJ, what your Dodge truck does regarding flashing the error code using the check engine light is not unique to Dodge trucks. That diagnostics method is related to OBDI (On-Board Diagnostics), which is the type of diagnostic system used on EFI-equipped cars made before 1996. My 1985 Corolla GTS and by 1994 GS300 both do that. The code reader is needed for OBDII cars, which were build from 1996 onward.
Old 05-21-03, 08:45 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to further clarify the point I was trying to make:
on my 93 ponitiac, I had to get under the dash and use a small paperclip to jump terminals A to B on the OBD hook-up, then turn the key to on and the codes would flash.
My truck eliminates the jump wire/clip and crawling under the dash to find the hook up. This was replaced by 5 repeated turns of the key to get the codes to flash..........1000x easier, wouldn't you say? That was the point I was shooting for.

Oh yeah.....the Dodge Ram 1500 is a 97 . I didn't need a OBDII code reader to know my fuel pump died. I retrieved the code using the ignition key.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 05-21-03 at 08:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Check engine light