Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Transmission Flush-frightening results

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-05, 06:24 PM
joeydingo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Flush-frightening results

I had a complete transmission flush done on my '99 GS4 with 72k today and the fluid was completely black. They had to run 19 quarts through the BG machine until the fluid was that nice strawberry red color of new fluid. I have done the partial replacement by draining what is in the pan every 15k since I got the car as suggested by the dealer.
I don't notice any difference in how the car shifts or feels after the flush, but am worried that I have not been diligent enough by not having done the complete flush sooner. I see that many CL members advocate the partial drain method, but have to say after what see in my sample bottle that it hasn't been enough for me. I cringe at the scary sample of my fluid and plan to send it off to Blackstone labs for analysis.

Is this the sort of thing that would indicate tranny damage? The car shifts fine now, but did before the flush as well.
Old 04-14-05, 07:06 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are reall concerned you might want to pull down the pan

and see if there is any metal in there

there is going to be a little bit

there are 3 magnets in there

and if you can get one change the transfilter also
Old 04-14-05, 07:17 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Did you clean the filter mesh screen & have a new tranny pan gasket installed?

What is the recommended type of tranny fluid your car requires? (IE: Toyota type IV or Dexron III)?

What does your owners manual say as the original recommended interval?
Old 04-14-05, 07:48 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If your car shifts fine, then don't worry about it. The GS's trans are tough and Lexus don't have any problem with it. Just drive and enjoy your car.
Old 04-14-05, 10:08 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

I read some previous threads recommending that a flush not be performed if the transmission has not been maintained, as the sudden introduction of fresh ATF fluid could dislodge some debris and foul up the mechanism. I have a 98 GS4 with about 92K miles and the fluid was changed once every 30K. When I checked the ATF fluid at 90K, it was a dark brown color. After 3 ATF drain-and-fills over 2000 miles, the fluid is back to a normal red color.

When the mechanic dropped the pan on my car, I didn't see a mesh screen... where is it located?
Old 04-14-05, 11:21 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Screen remains with the tranny, not the pan...

Originally Posted by joeydingo
Is this the sort of thing that would indicate tranny damage?
No, it's the sort of thing that indicates it's time to change the fluid. Mine was also very dark (but not black- got a pic of yours?) when I fully flushed it, and it ran fine both before and after the flush, just like yours.

Be sure to let us know what the Blackstone analysis says.
Old 04-14-05, 11:28 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cal_alum98
I read some previous threads recommending that a flush not be performed if the transmission has not been maintained, as the sudden introduction of fresh ATF fluid could dislodge some debris and foul up the mechanism. I have a 98 GS4 with about 92K miles and the fluid was changed once every 30K. When I checked the ATF fluid at 90K, it was a dark brown color. After 3 ATF drain-and-fills over 2000 miles, the fluid is back to a normal red color.

When the mechanic dropped the pan on my car, I didn't see a mesh screen... where is it located?
the screen is a oblongish thing bolted onto the valve body. 3-4 10 or 12mm bolts hold it on.
Old 04-15-05, 01:26 AM
joeydingo
Rookie

I had a new screen filter installed at 60k along with the 4 quart "transmission service". By my reckoning, given that the transmission capacity is 8.8 quarts, I've already changed most all of the fluid by doing 4 quart changes at 15k, 30k, 45k and 60k, PRIOR to this complete change of fluid at 72k. I'm just surprised that having followed the mfr.'s recommendation for service in changing the fluid, that the fluid would be so disgusting looking. I don't have a picture of the fluid, but have always used the Toyota T4 fluid, never anything aftermarket.

Could all this be because of what is in the torque converter that never gets changed out with the regular "drain what is in the pan" method?
Old 04-15-05, 03:07 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

The filter mesh screen is re-usable.....no need to replace it.....just clean it.
Old 04-15-05, 03:18 AM
joeydingo
Rookie

Yeah, I found out the screen filter was reusable AFTER I bought a new one online, so figured I may as well have it installed.
Old 04-15-05, 04:48 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Yeah, I found out the screen filter was reusable AFTER I bought a new one online, so figured I may as well have it installed.
What type of tranny fluid did you use?
Old 04-15-05, 12:11 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cal_alum98
I read some previous threads recommending that a flush not be performed if the transmission has not been maintained, as the sudden introduction of fresh ATF fluid could dislodge some debris and foul up the mechanism.
I have read this several times but it is a split theory. Some people have never had a full flush, then flushed and then started having tranny problems. I am guessing if you have never done one and then at 120k you do the first, this could cause a problem.

Would like to hear more on it if anyone has any other thoughts concerning this.

Peace,
Jonny
Old 04-15-05, 04:24 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a complete transmission flush done on my '99 GS4 with 72k today and the fluid was completely black. They had to run 19 quarts through the BG machine until the fluid was that nice strawberry red color of new fluid.
Is this the sort of thing that would indicate tranny damage?
While tranny fluid is supposed to last the life of the vehicle under normal condition, it should be checked at least on a monthly basis. Make it a monthly routine from now on. I have never seen black tranny fluid in any of my cars though. I do the drain-n-fill every 60K miles for the peace of mind, though I don't think that's even necessary.

It appears that your tranny is fine for now. Make sure that the shop used the right Toyota fluid. Had they used the wrong fluid, you won't notice any problem until 30K miles later. For that reasons, some rough shops use the cheap Mercon (Ford) tranny fluid for any car that comes into the shop. Every car maker has its own requirement for tranny fluid viscosity and friction characteristics.

Good luck and hope nothing is wrong with the car.
Old 04-16-05, 12:29 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
While tranny fluid is supposed to last the life of the vehicle under normal condition, it should be checked at least on a monthly basis.
The normal service schedule in the owner's manual of my LS400 does indeed have no mention of ATF change. It only appears in the severe service schedule.
Old 04-16-05, 10:12 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by kreativ
The normal service schedule in the owner's manual of my LS400 does indeed have no mention of ATF change. It only appears in the severe service schedule.
Almost all cars are driven to meet the severe service schedule actually..........as a preventitive measure the fluid should be changed every 2 years or 30,000 miles. Your tranny will thank you & so will your wallet.

Quick Reply: Transmission Flush-frightening results