Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Who used TOYOTA Dealer for service!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-05, 07:38 AM
DJKLEX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who used TOYOTA Dealer for service!!!

Did anyone used TOYOTA dealer to do service on their LEXUS. Services like timing belt, water pump, ATF flush and engine oil change. I have 85K on my 99 GS300 and i'm thinking of going to TOYOTA to do 90K service. I think TOYOTA will be cheeper. Anyone did it? Need to know ASAP.!!
Old 04-01-05, 08:34 AM
BruteSBC
Driver School Candidate

i work for a toyota dealer and we get lexus in all the time, id say go to toyota. it wouldnt be any more expensive, ill tell ya that much
Old 04-01-05, 08:45 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Since I'm still under warranty, I've been mostly going to local Toyota dealer for their Express-Lube oil changes, but taking my car to the Lexus dealer every year for the 15K/30K service visits.

On the last oil-change visit, the Toyota dealer started charging me $5 more, because I had a Lexus instead of a Toyota. When I complained to the manager (it's the same engine, came off the same assembly line, etc.), they backed off on the $5 surcharge.

The local Lexus dealer here asks $56 for an oil change (brand new repair facility). The local Toyota dealer gets $30 (one hour, no appointment). When the warranty runs out I'll likely start doing more routine stuff myself.

I think I've read that, when the Toyota dealer is right next to the Lexus dealer, the Toyota dealer may not be willing to service the Lexus.
Old 04-01-05, 03:37 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do the oil change at a nearby Toyota dealer ExpressLube - $30 in 30 minutes.

I compared the price for major stuff like timing belt, ATF flush, etc. The Toyota is about $50 less in most cases. However, The Toyota does not have free Lexus loaner like my Lexus dealer. (They can arrange a rental like Ford Exploder for $40/day or Ford Hocus for $30/day.) So if you need a loaner car to get to work, you might as well do the service at Lexus.

If your Toyota & Lexus dealers are owned by the same company, then Toyota may be unwilling to do service on your Lexus. Fortunately in my case, they are owned by two separate auto dealer groups - fierce competitors in fact. Toyota loves it when my Lexus shows up.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 04-01-05 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-01-05, 04:08 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't but I'm gonna try Toyota next!
Old 04-01-05, 10:02 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

i went to toyota of Lake Norman here in Cornelius NC, and to tell the truth, they arnt the most welcoming people, they are bored it seems and they dont smile, they always have frowns on their faces, and when i go into the parts department there, no body is at the counter to help me, in my opinion from a scale from 1-10 (1-worst 10-best) they deserve a 2 in service. I would rather go to a Lexus dealer to work on the Lexus because they actually work on them, toyota works on Lexus but im sure they dont get as many Lexus vehicles passing through needing maintence, (just what i think and experienced)
Old 04-02-05, 08:28 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by parula
I haven't but I'm gonna try Toyota next!
Highly recommended because it's much cheaper than Lexus ($30 vs $92 in my case), faster than Lexus (30 mins vs. 1 hr 10 mins), and they use genuine Toyota oil filter.

No car wash or interior vaccum, but I don't really need it.
Old 04-03-05, 07:16 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And most times I get there late or wait so I don't get washed anyway - wasted money.
Old 04-04-05, 05:54 PM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

While Toyota is indeed cheaper, you might want to consider an independent as well for the issues such as timing belt & water pump.

I just paid Irvine Toyota $650 to do the timing belt, water pump, drive belts while Tustin Lexus and Mission Viejo Lexus both quoted $1100 plus (but I would have gotten a Lexus loaner )...

Found out the following week that a co-worker has an independent that is former Lexus technician (showed me his creds) who would have charged me less than $400 for the same.

If you can find a reputable indy - and many CL'ers have somebody to recommend - then that's the way to go....IMHO

For a simple oil change, if you aren't doing it yourself, I'd go to Toyota - cheaper/faster.
Old 04-07-05, 05:22 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

I have 2 Lexus' now and I've always taken them to Lexus for all the service. But I just got a flier in the mail from my local Toyota dealer with a bunch of coupons for servicing my Lexus. $40k for the 5k service visit, $300 for the 15k/45k/75k , $400 for the 30k/60k/90k/120k. And they say they have complimentary loaner and detail with major service.

My Toyota dealer is in town and a lot closer than my Lexus dealer. Does anyone think the quality of service will be any less than the Lexus dealer? Any reason NOT to take it to Toyota?
Old 04-07-05, 05:34 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksonian
I Any reason NOT to take it to Toyota?
My local Toyota dealer no longer honors Toyota coupons when you bring in a Lexus. They still service Lexus', but just don't honor the Toyota coupon deals. So, you ought to check before you bring yours in.
Old 04-07-05, 06:54 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bob2200
My local Toyota dealer no longer honors Toyota coupons when you bring in a Lexus. They still service Lexus', but just don't honor the Toyota coupon deals. So, you ought to check before you bring yours in.
Nope, this one's from my local Toyota dealer that says "Spring Savings on Lexus Service" and
"A reliable alternative to out-of-town Lexus Service". Even says, "We Sell Lexus Tires."

I'm pretty sure the loaner car and detail are only for the Lexus customers. I live in a city of 250k people, but the closest Lexus dealership is about 30 minutes away, so I think they're trying to capitalize on all the Lexus drivers in town. And judging by my questions here, we're interested. I love Lexus service, it's just not convenient to drive 30 minutes one way, even with a loaner.
Old 04-07-05, 08:50 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

jacksonian, which Toyota dealer is that?
Old 04-07-05, 10:24 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Rice Toyota on Battleground Avenue in Greensboro. It's 10 minutes from my house and 2 minutes from my office. Our closest Lexus dealer is Kernersville (Flow), then it's about equal distance to Johnson in Raleigh (and soon to be Durham) or Hendrick in Charlotte. Sometimes we go to Streets at Southpoint Mall in Raleigh and leave the GX at Johnson for service for a Saturday morning.
Old 04-07-05, 01:43 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do, I bought it there used.
Works great.

Quick Reply: Who used TOYOTA Dealer for service!!!