Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Steering Wheel Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05, 03:00 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Squeaking

I have a 98 ES300 that has a funny squeaking sound everytime I turn the steering wheel.
I have removed a steering wheel from an older Toyota before but I have no experience with removing one with an air bag.
Does anyone know how to do this?
Or better yet, can I somehow stop the squeeking without removing the steering wheel?

Thanks
Old 04-11-05, 04:02 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I would first check the level of the power steering fluid under the hood and see if it's at the right level. Low fluid usually yields the squeaking of the steering wheel. The other possibility is extreme cold weather (like near freezing temps), but that mostly happens first thing in the morning.
Old 04-11-05, 04:54 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Where is the noise coming from? Inside the car or around the engine area.

If it's coming from inside of the car. You can try to spray WD40 around the steering boot where the steering shaft goes through the firewall. If you look down by the brake pedal and follow the steering shaft, you will see the rubber boot. Spray some of the WD40 around the steering shaft and the rubber boot while turning the steering wheel. Good luck.
Old 04-11-05, 09:36 PM
ssultan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll second that. I ended up spraying the shaft and boot on my fathers highlander with good old WD40 to prevent squeaking. It hasn't bothered him recently. They symptoms were IDENTICAL. Next time though, I might try one of those synthetic fancy lubricants that 'bond' better.
Old 04-13-05, 10:18 AM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Where is the noise coming from? Inside the car or around the engine area.

If it's coming from inside of the car. You can try to spray WD40 around the steering boot where the steering shaft goes through the firewall. If you look down by the brake pedal and follow the steering shaft, you will see the rubber boot. Spray some of the WD40 around the steering shaft and the rubber boot while turning the steering wheel. Good luck.

The noise is coming from inside the car. From what I can tell, it is close to the steering/dash area. I will listen closely over the weekend and try the WD40. Hope it works.
Old 04-15-05, 01:06 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OceanView
The noise is coming from inside the car. From what I can tell, it is close to the steering/dash area. I will listen closely over the weekend and try the WD40. Hope it works.
did this work?
Old 04-15-05, 01:31 AM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

I have a 98 ES300 that has a funny squeaking sound everytime I turn the steering wheel.
I have removed a steering wheel from an older Toyota before but I have no experience with removing one with an air bag.
Does anyone know how to do this?
Or better yet, can I somehow stop the squeeking without removing the steering wheel?

Thanks
I have the same problem with my 98!!! Weird! It doesn't bother me too much, though, because I usually can't hear it over the radio. I'd like to fix it, especially if it is easy to take care of.
Old 04-27-05, 07:25 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

did this work for you?? I thought mine was just doing it because of the cold but it' still doe sit even in warm temps. It sounds like its the wheel itself rubbing against the steering column.
Old 04-27-05, 02:26 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by superpats
did this work for you?? I thought mine was just doing it because of the cold but it' still doe sit even in warm temps. It sounds like its the wheel itself rubbing against the steering column.
WHOOPS!

I forgot! I had family over and didn't have a chance.
Will do it this week and get back to everyone.
Old 05-03-05, 10:14 AM
OceanView
Lead Lap

It did not work guys.
At least for me. Maybe it will work on your cars.
Guess I have to take my car to the dealer.
Old 05-03-05, 10:18 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Thats sucks! My father still hasn't complained about his highlander so it appears to have resolved his issue. Please let us all know what the mechanic says....and Good Luck with tracking it down.
Old 05-10-05, 06:18 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

OceanView...any update on this? I'm wondering what the dealer had to say about this....
Old 05-10-05, 03:53 PM
parula
Instructor

FWIW my RX steering column made a light-raspy noise the other day repeatedly that I had never heard before (hadn't seen this thread either!) It was in the column somewhere . ....
Old 05-10-05, 04:14 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by parula
FWIW my RX steering column made a light-raspy noise the other day repeatedly that I had never heard before (hadn't seen this thread either!) It was in the column somewhere . ....
I've seen a few RX makes those light clicking noise and it turned to be the spiral cable( for the air bag) in the steering column. Your dealer know if you ask them to check the spiral cable.
Old 05-11-05, 04:09 PM
parula
Instructor

VVT-i, I'll check that; it is sporadic, I hate to have them go in there but I don't want to here that scraping sound all the time if it continues more, especially after warranty period, tks much.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Squeaking