Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Check Engine Light - How do I find out what's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 06:12 PM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light - How do I find out what's wrong?

My check engine light just popped on this weekend and being a Lexus n00b I have no idea how to tell what the problem is....all I know is it runs fine.

I just had the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, drive belts all replaced.
Just did a power steering flush and ATF flush with oil change.

Idles fine (I think) - around 800
No slippage in gears
No apparent problems....

NO IDEA?????? It seems there is a way to find the "code" that is causing the check engine light to light up...but I can't seem to find how. Can I do myself? Take to a dealer? Take to an Autozone/Pep Boys type joint?

Please help (again.......dang I shoulda known the price was too good to be true)
Old 04-04-05, 06:48 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the 94 ES is actually OBDII compliant. Go to Autozone and ask them to read your codes. Tell them the car is a 96 because if you say it is a 94 they will say it is OBDI and they don't have the correct reader. Tell them it is a 96 (that is the year OBDII became industry standard).

get the codes and post them here.

Any number of codes and code combinations could be triggering the CEL.

steviej
Old 04-04-05, 08:15 PM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Stevie -

Thanks for the tip....

I went down to AutoZone - a grueling 3 minute drive - rented the tester for nothing, popped the fuse cover and plugged it in....

Hit Read and:

P0135 - O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction

So I hit Erase and it's gone....head back in and return the tester. Turn the Lex on and the CEL is no longer on. Stayed off the entire drive to the grocery store (got milk?) and back home - a whopping 6 minutes....

I'm wondering if the fuel system cleaner I added on the last fill-up had anything to do with it? I'll reply again if the CEL comes on again....

In the meantime - O2 sensor - replace at a dealer? Have an indy do it? Reco's???

Thanks again for the help!
Old 04-05-05, 03:40 PM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Exclamation

Dang....

The CEL is back on again....

Is the code mentioned above for the front or rear sensor???

How much is Lexus gonna charge me to find out??? Or can I take to Toyota?

Help!!
Old 04-05-05, 06:44 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Somone should come here and explain what exactly it means. Why pay lexus $90 to tell you the samething?

Just wait until someone here chimes in with more info before you shell out any cash.
Old 04-05-05, 06:47 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

P0135 is Bank 1 Sensor 1.

It is the O2 sensor that is before the cat high up on the exhaust manifold that is between the firewall and the engine. It is a total PITA to get at. You will need an O2 sensor socket, about $15 form Autozone.

For a reference point, look at Bank 2 Sensor 1, this is the one that is between the radiator and the front of the engine in the exhaust manifold before the cat. The sensor that is your problem is in the same place but on the other side of the engine.

for good pricing, get the part number and pricing from your lexus dealer or www.newlexusparts.com, then look on www.sparkplugs.com

Lexus will get you about $300 for this one. 1 hour labor plus the $200+ for the sensor. Toyota may be cheaper. However, if you are good with a wrench, then only the cost of the part and 1 hour of your time is incured.

An alternative is to get a procedure done called a "motorvac". It is a specific top end cleaning on the engine which has been known to clean out the O2 sensors if dirty. However, if the sensor is shot, no amount of cleaning will bring it back from the dead. Replace it. Some mechanics, if they have the shop manual will check the sensor before replacing to find out if it is actually faulty.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 04-05-05 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-05-05, 09:38 PM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Steviej you definitely know your stuff....

According to www.sparkplugs.com there are 2 O2 sensor part numbers:

234-4622
234-4623

I'll have to check dealer tomorrow to see what p/n they give me and compare.

I swear if it wasn't for the help I've found in this forum from you and others -
I'd have gone ape ***** on this car weeks ago!
Old 04-06-05, 08:08 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

word of advice, make sure you get to this ASAP because you dont want to ruin your cats, which will cost you a lot more.

You wont notice a difference until they start glowing red, and the car wont accelerate past 35Mph.

Make sure you get to it as soon as possible.
Old 04-16-05, 12:56 PM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Exclamation

Originally Posted by steviej
P0135 is Bank 1 Sensor 1.

It is the O2 sensor that is before the cat high up on the exhaust manifold that is between the firewall and the engine. It is a total PITA to get at. You will need an O2 sensor socket, about $15 form Autozone.

For a reference point, look at Bank 2 Sensor 1, this is the one that is between the radiator and the front of the engine in the exhaust manifold before the cat. The sensor that is your problem is in the same place but on the other side of the engine.

steviej
Sorry, but I'm still a bit confused....

According to Kragen (http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...Sensor&ptset=C) there are upstream and downstream O2 sensors....the upstream requires 2 and the downstream requires 1....

Which is it? I'm guessing based on steviej's description that it's the downstream sensor based on it's location between the firewall and engine. In my mind, it makes sense that the upstream sensors are before the engine and the downstream are after. Can anybody confirm this is the case??

Grazie
Gracias
Vielen Dank
ありがとう
谢谢
너를 감사하십시요
obrigado
Old 04-16-05, 01:21 PM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Oh yeah...

Anybody able to post a pic or diagram of where this sum****** is?

I'm gonna give it whirl myself (since Toyota wanted $175 for the part and $180 (are they high?) for labor - and steviej's reference of about 3 bills from Lexus....

Don't mind getting my hand dirty to save that kinda coin....i can use it pay for the new CV boot!

Old 04-16-05, 01:27 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

What's to understand.

the upstream sensors are before the catalytic converters. You have two cats., one for each bank of cylinders and they are part of the whole exhuast manifold assembly.

That being said, the bank of three cylinders closest to the radiator is bank 2 so the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold BEFORE the cat. is Bank 2 Sensor 1. The bank of three cylinders closet to the firewal is bank 1. The O2 sensor before the cat on that side is Bank 1 Sensor 1.

The downstream sensor is the one that is in the exhaust system after both catalytic converters.
If you jack up the car you can see it mounted in the U shaped section of pipe below the car.
This is Bank 1 Sensor 2. Here is a picture of Bank 1 Sensor 2. This sensor is not the problem one for you, but I post a picture so you can see what to look for. It is the sparkplug looking thing with the wire coming out of it screwed into the U shaped pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Check Engine Light - How do I find out what's wrong?-atf_change_004.jpg  

Last edited by steviej; 04-16-05 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-16-05, 01:40 PM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Not to be picky steviej...(and I am extremely greatful for the help)

But you said

The downstream sensor is the one that is in the exhaust system after both catalytic converters.
If you jack up the car you can see it mounted in the U shaped section of pipe below the car.
This is Bank 1 Sensor 2. Here is a picture of Bank 1 Sensor 1. This sensor is not the problem one for you

Is the picture really of Bank 1 Sensor 2?

And Bank 1 Sensor 1 is an upstream (as is Bank 2 Sensor 1)?

I'm a novice at this....so please be patient with me!

Last edited by P_M_G; 04-16-05 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-16-05, 08:25 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

so much for proof-reading when you are in a rush. you are correct in that I made a typo.
I have corrected it.

PMG, The bottom line.
Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the one between the cylinder block and the catalytic converter that is mounted in the exhaust manfold between the engine and the firewall. If you are a novice, then you may want to seek a mechanic's help on this particular sensor just because of it's remote location.

Last note: If you attempt it, then study the other two as they are easy to get to. That way you will see how to connect and unconnect the wire lead that comes off of the sensor. Follow the wire to the connector and you will see.

steviej
Old 04-23-05, 03:33 PM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Finally....

This is a week late, but after staring at the engine for about 25 minutes trying to figure out how to swap the O2 sensor myself....I said f' it and took it to a local guy. Charged me $70, so that plus the part from Kragen I got out under $200.

Thanks again to all who helped!
Old 04-24-05, 07:45 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

finish the story.............................

.........................did the CEL go away?????

steviej

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light - How do I find out what's wrong?