Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Help me calm down

Old 04-15-05, 06:26 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

tka, what type of engine oil have you been using?
Old 04-15-05, 12:16 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys,

In all 3 of my Lexus's I have noticed a slight smoke coming from the car when it is first started, lasting no more than 10 secs. From what my mechanic told me - it is perfectly normal.

Unless your car starts running badly, over overheating - CHILL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonny
Old 04-16-05, 08:31 AM
tbridgers
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

In all 3 of my Lexus's I have noticed a slight smoke coming from the car when it is first started, lasting no more than 10 secs. From what my mechanic told me - it is perfectly normal.

Unless your car starts running badly, over overheating - CHILL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonny

GOOD ADVICE!
Old 04-16-05, 10:14 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

Agreed!

As long as it's not blue or purple smoke your fine.
Old 04-16-05, 04:24 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smokin?

Whoa here, my baby DOES NOT smoke for 10 seconds or at all from what I can see, nor does my '86 Honda xcept for maybe a couple seconds and even then only for a second if that!
Old 04-16-05, 04:35 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by parula
Whoa here, my baby DOES NOT smoke for 10 seconds or at all from what I can see, nor does my '86 Honda xcept for maybe a couple seconds and even then only for a second if that!
Well,

You are missing the point. What I am trying to say is that sometimes the car will do this and it is nothing to worry about.

The longer you leave the car for without starting it the longer you will get the smoke whether it be a couple of seconds or even 10. Don't drive the car for 2 weeks and you will get closer to 10!

Anyway, no biggie.

Jonny
Old 04-17-05, 11:25 AM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i think a little blue smoke on start=up is normal, my 93 ls400 did it and I ran it to 200k before I sold it. When the engine cools, the gaskets and pistons shrink slightly, and a small amount of oil can penetrate the seal. Starting the car instantly burns this little bit of oil and when the engine gets moving and warms, complete seal is regained, hence no smoke when you drive.
Old 04-17-05, 11:30 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

I've never had an engine personally that had blue or purple smoke on start up.......even if it was for a couple seconds would make me nervous quite frankly.
Old 04-18-05, 05:13 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dx3, I understand but fwiw, my 19yr Honda doesn't smoke, anything! Ok, a little after a week or so out of action but no way 10 seconds - at most a startup puff. If my Lexus ever did that I'd panic, but that's just me. Best.
Old 04-18-05, 05:22 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
I've never had an engine personally that had blue or purple smoke on start up.......even if it was for a couple seconds would make me nervous quite frankly.
Hey - I never mentioned any blue or purple smoke!!

Parula,

I have no explanation for that. I just know my 3 have done it so that is what I base my views on.

Anyway, as long as everyones car is running ok then we are all cool

Peace,
jonny
Old 04-18-05, 05:45 PM
tkafam1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
tka, what type of engine oil have you been using?
Good question. I think it's a valvoline synthetic blend. Car smoked again today. I had driven it for about 30 minutes, stopped at home for lunch for about 15 minutes, and left. My wife followed me out and said it blew a puff when I punched it leaving our subdivision. Didn't smoke again.

I'm wondering if it's the power steering pump valve going bad. Anyway, I'll have it checked out when I get the next oil change. Like Jonny said, it's running good and not a constant thing, so why worry!

Unless, of course, any of you guys think otherwise...
Old 04-20-05, 08:21 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Isn't this the infamous Power Steering leak problem? It is alleviated with a new idle up valve, part number is 17630-16040. Good Luck
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From CUman:

"The Toyota-Lexus name for this part is the air control valve. It screws into the bottom of the power steering pump. It has two hoses which run from the valve to (1) the air intake system just downstream from the air filter and (2) the front of the intake manifold. When the valve fails, power steering fluid is drawn into one or both of these hoses and makes a cloud of white smoke when the engine is cranked".

"Anyone suspecting that this valve is faulty should check their power steering fluid level often".

This is a very common problem on first generation LS models.

Last edited by damon; 04-20-05 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-20-05, 07:08 PM
tkafam1
Pole Position

Thanks Damon. I'll mention that to the tech. I hope that's it. I may even go in before I'm due for the oil change. If that is the problem, getting it fixed sooner rather than later may save the alternator.

Tom
Old 04-26-05, 12:48 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Suspense is killing me, what ended up being the problem???
Old 04-26-05, 01:11 PM
tkafam1
Pole Position

I haven't had the nerve to call the dealership yet. I due for a change in the next couple of weeks, so I post a reply when I know.

Hopefully it's nothing.

Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me calm down