Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

maintenance parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-05, 11:44 AM
lexite
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintenance parts

I am going to start simple maintenance myself such as filters and fluids change, etc. Where do you guys go for such parts? Local lexus dealer or online stores such as l-tuned or lexus-parts... Any suggestion for a Carson toyota like shop in SF Bay Area?

Thanks!
Old 03-29-05, 09:36 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

It depends what specific maintenance parts you are looking to get & what kind. As an example, you can choose to use a regular paper air filter or use a K & N one that is reusable. Same can be said about different types of engine oil (dino or synthetic) or oil filters.
Old 03-31-05, 04:16 AM
yoji6365
Driver

Originally Posted by lexite
I am going to start simple maintenance myself such as filters and fluids change, etc. Where do you guys go for such parts? Local lexus dealer or online stores such as l-tuned or lexus-parts... Any suggestion for a Carson toyota like shop in SF Bay Area?

Thanks!
Depends, are you going for cheapest, most practical, or high priced everything?

OEM, aftermarket, or anything off the shelves?

If you want cheapest, they have stuff at Autozone, Kragen, Walmart that is economically correct.
If you want high priced stuff, websites for Lexus stuff are all over the Internet.

Irontoad.com had great prices for toyota oil filters. Kragen has really cheap STP oil filters, air filters and PCV valves. Ebay also has lots of stuff for cheap.

Toyota at the Automall in Fairfield had best prices when I shopped around for some parts.
Old 03-31-05, 05:29 AM
lexite
Driver

For the most part I'd get lexus OEM parts, no mods (at least to begin with). Of course things like fluids would not be lexus ;-).

Basically, I want to know is that do I simply run to local lexus dealer to get these parts such as oil/air fiter, break pads, oil drainplug gasket, etc? Is it common for Toyota dealers to carry Lexus parts as well? I understand that many lexus parts are shared with Toyota. Do such parts have the same parts numbers or different?

I would prefer local buy unless there is a significant rip off in buying locally.

Sorry I did not make it clear to begin with.
Old 03-31-05, 10:22 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the problem is, you cannot order Lexus parts at a Toyota dealer, since the -500x0 numbers will not show up in their computer. If you want a oil filter that is non-Toyota, check out Pep Boys or a local auto parts stores that carries Purolator, Wix, or Hastings. Stay away from Champion-made(STP/Valucraft/SuperTech/Bosch/AC Delco) filters and Frams, they have a few issues ATM.
Old 03-31-05, 11:53 AM
yoji6365
Driver

Originally Posted by lexite
For the most part I'd get lexus OEM parts, no mods (at least to begin with). Of course things like fluids would not be lexus ;-).

Basically, I want to know is that do I simply run to local lexus dealer to get these parts such as oil/air fiter, break pads, oil drainplug gasket, etc? Is it common for Toyota dealers to carry Lexus parts as well? I understand that many lexus parts are shared with Toyota. Do such parts have the same parts numbers or different?

I would prefer local buy unless there is a significant rip off in buying locally.

Sorry I did not make it clear to begin with.
Sure, you can go that route for the parts. I did get some parts for my LS from a Toyota dealer.
You have to invest some time to make sure the parts are the same. Kragens site is great for cross referencing if a Lexus and Toyota uses the same part. After you click on the part youre looking for, hit the Buying Guide button and it'll list all other vehicles that use the same part. Then you can take that model year for Toyota and get the same part.