Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Mobil 5000 Motor Oil RX330 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 10:02 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mobil 5000 Motor Oil RX330 AWD

Have anyone used this motor oil yet? I'm thinking of using it for my RX330. Any pros and cons?

Thanks,...................
Old 03-29-05, 01:04 AM
VGR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered using the factory fill oil - Genuine Toyota Motor Oil. This oil is formulated by Toyota for Toyota engines. Available in 1 quart bottles at the Parts Dept. of Toyota Dealers for
around $1.50 - $2.00 a quart.

Toyota doesn't actively advertize it's oil or make big sensational claims for it so it doesn't sound state of the art and therefore it doesn't grab the public's attention and thus the public generally isn't interested in it.

Then again Toyota doesn't make big sensational claims about the reliability and durability of its cars either even though it's cars are the best in the world in these respects.
Old 03-29-05, 03:24 AM
gsxr1100
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VGR
Have you considered using the factory fill oil - Genuine Toyota Motor Oil. This oil is formulated by Toyota for Toyota engines. Available in 1 quart bottles at the Parts Dept. of Toyota Dealers for
around $1.50 - $2.00 a quart.

Toyota doesn't actively advertize it's oil or make big sensational claims for it so it doesn't sound state of the art and therefore it doesn't grab the public's attention and thus the public generally isn't interested in it.

Then again Toyota doesn't make big sensational claims about the reliability and durability of its cars either even though it's cars are the best in the world in these respects.
It [oil] is not formulated by Toyota. There oil is made by Exxon/Mobil..
Old 03-29-05, 09:53 AM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

I wasn't thinking of using Toyota motor oil.......
Old 03-29-05, 10:06 AM
VGR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gsxr1100
It [oil] is not formulated by Toyota. There oil is made by Exxon/Mobil..
Toyota hires Mobil and other oil refiners worldwide to formulate Toyota oil to Toyotas specifications. Therefore Toyota oil is a Toyota product, not a Mobil-Exxon product.
Old 03-29-05, 12:44 PM
gsxr1100
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VGR
Toyota hires Mobil and other oil refiners worldwide to formulate Toyota oil to Toyotas specifications. Therefore Toyota oil is a Toyota product, not a Mobil-Exxon product.
ok I was told and read online (various sources) that Toyota oil is Mobil Drive Clean oil. Toyota oil is nothing short of normal oil. It was made Kendall.

Plus since I work in design you do not have a oil company make oil for you (special application). It is too costly & cuts into your bottom line. You select the oil "off the shelf" and then design. You do not do it the other way around. Look online and you will see it [Toyota oil] is 99.999% Mobil Drive Clean oil.

Also if it "was" to Toyota specifications they would print the Toyota Spec on the bottle to make people buy it for the extra $$$$. It is nothing short of some API or SAE spec's to pass it.

Last edited by gsxr1100; 03-29-05 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 01:33 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

I been using mobil 1 sine I got my RX in 04 and in my GS since 02 with Mobil 1 every 5000 miles. Now I am going to switch both to the 15,000 mile mobil 1 this way I can go little more then 5000 miles. I don't think I will go more then 7,000 miles but for the extra 3 dollars why not! There is only pros there are no cons except paying a little more.
Old 03-29-05, 02:13 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by purebliss
I been using mobil 1 sine I got my RX in 04 and in my GS since 02 with Mobil 1 every 5000 miles. Now I am going to switch both to the 15,000 mile mobil 1 this way I can go little more then 5000 miles. I don't think I will go more then 7,000 miles but for the extra 3 dollars why not! There is only pros there are no cons except paying a little more.

This is not synthetic oil!!.....Mobil 5000 is the name of their new conventional oil. I'm interested in the conventional oil vs. the synthetic one.
Old 03-29-05, 03:21 PM
gsxr1100
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lextranny
This is not synthetic oil!!.....Mobil 5000 is the name of their new conventional oil. I'm interested in the conventional oil vs. the synthetic one.
Mobil 5K is dino oil
Mobil 7.5K is a blend
Mobil 15K is a PAO based oil.

Based on price and the "5K mile" deal I say the 5000 has a low addditive base oil.

Here is the virgin oil tests:

Mobil Clean 5000 5W30

Aluminum 1
Iron 1
Moly 64
Boron 44
Silicon 1
Sodium 218
Calcium 829
Magnesium 4
Phosphorous 341
Zinc 347
Vis @ 200 F 59.1
Flashpoint 425
All other values were zero.

Comments from Blackstone on this VOA:
"Well I'll be. We are shocked that Mobil has added sodium to this new oil they're producing, but there it is. We ran this sample twice to make sure it was there. Also look at the low levels of zinc dithiophosphate. We ran some Pennzoil last week that had low levels of zinc and phosphorus like this. We had the guy send in another sample so we could check and the levels were indeed that low. We assumed that Pennzoil had a bad batch to go out, but here it is in Mobil too. Is this a trend with the oil companies now?"

The pros are maybe it is cheap. Cons are my ES with Amsoil has better number with over 12K on the used oil.
Old 04-02-05, 02:32 PM
parula
Instructor

Also look at the low levels of zinc dithiophosphate. We ran some Pennzoil last week that had low levels of zinc and phosphorus like this. We had the guy send in another sample so we could check and the levels were indeed that low. We assumed that Pennzoil had a bad batch to go out, but here it is in Mobil too. The pros are maybe it is cheap. Cons are my ES with Amsoil has better number with over 12K on the used oil.
What does zinc dithiophosphate do and why would a couple hundred ppm of sodium be deleterious?
Old 04-02-05, 05:34 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh no, not another oil topic.

Lextranny, nothing wrong with your topic,but there will be two people on this board that will jump on this kind of topic.

Hint: both of them were banned, but rejoined with another named.

Please keep it clean and both of you know " Who am I talking about?".
Old 04-05-05, 06:26 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Lextranny
Have anyone used this motor oil yet? I'm thinking of using it for my RX330. Any pros and cons?

Thanks,...................

It's a premium 'dino' oil.......that's about it.
Old 04-05-05, 06:49 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i

Lextranny, nothing wrong with your topic,but there will be two people on this board that will jump on this kind of topic.

That’s exactly what I’m worried about every time I want to talk about ANYTHING REMOTELY relating to this topic.
Old 04-05-05, 10:06 PM
yoji6365
Driver

Originally Posted by VVT-i

I think someone should give those guys free oil changes and coolant using the other guys preferred fluids with full warranty and service for life.
Old 04-05-05, 10:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Guys I sincerely hope the recurring argument will not be 'rejoined'.

Please feel free to get this thread back on topic and discuss any questions or experience with this stuff. I've seen the advertisments, but that is the extent of my knowledge of it .

Quick Reply: Mobil 5000 Motor Oil RX330 AWD