Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Oil additives / Gas additives etc. Engine Flush etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-05, 03:52 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil additives / Gas additives etc. Engine Flush etc

I bought a 2002 gs 430 and have no idea how it was taken care of (I know that when I got it it had the most expensive tires on it etc) Do you recommend an engine flush. Lexus wants $570 and pepboys can do it for like $80. Also it has 75K miles on it do you recommend using oil additives such as restorer every oil change or just do it once or twice and then like every other oirl change stick one in there. Also I have no idea if he used 93 unleaded all the time or not, should I run a good fuel injector cleaner in there too? I just got the 60K service done on it 2 weeks ago and forgot all they did. Anyone knows let me know.
Old 03-26-05, 06:50 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I do not think you would have to use Restore, though its fuel injector cleaner is pretty good.

I use the Restore oil additive, because where I live has rotten gas no matter where you go. I am constantly using octane boosters to get back lost performance, even at sea level.

That sounds a lot for a flush.

I do my own oil changes and I use Liqui Moly engine flush, and it cleans out a lot of garbage.

I also use Gas Extreme additive (do an Internet search), and I have had very good success with it in terms of restoring lost hps on one occasion. They also make an oil additive.

For fuel injector cleaner, Techron works just fine.
Old 03-26-05, 11:12 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Red Line S1 injector cleaner once in awhile and seems to work fine. If you're really worried about buildup (although it's a fairly new car), go to the SC300/400 forum and check out the Seafoam thread in the engine/forced induction section. You're supposed to use 1/3 can in the gas, 1/3 in the oil, and 1/3 into the TB and let it smoke for several minutes. Mind you, after you do this, you're going to need to change your spark plugs and oil and filter. Supposed to clean up the internals real well. The Supra guys have sworn by this for years. All for $14 a can I think... I have a 12 year old SC300 and am thinking about doing this.

I dont think you need to flush the engine. If you use good oil and change it frequently enough, there is no real need to use all those additives. Injector cleaner every once in awhile, but I would stop all the other additives.
Old 03-27-05, 01:27 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i know Saber is gonna flame me for this, but try out Auto-RX as an alternative to those harsh solvent flushes. After that, just use a good oil+good filter(no Fram junk).

As for a fuel additive, a bottle of Red Line SI-1 wouldn't hurt once in a while, i use a low dose of it in Costco or Arco gas to provide some detergency and provide the same effect as the add packs Shell and Chevron use in their fuels.
Old 03-27-05, 08:41 AM
VGR
Driver School Candidate

16-30 year olds routinely buy late model performance cars like Supras and GS's, and IS's for a super low price at auctions or other places where the cars don't have service records and then they think additives or cleaners will make up for the engine damage done to a Toyota engine due to maintenance neglect or abusive driving.

Some cleaner makers like Seafoam cater to this 16-30 old market. They just put $1.65 a gallon kerosene into a small aerosol can with an exciting looking label and a deep cleaning sounding name like "Seafoam" and the 16-30 year olds flock to it. Meanwhile the Seafoam executives relax on their Florida yachts with a big grin on their face.
Old 03-27-05, 12:13 PM
yoji6365
Driver

Originally Posted by nthach
i know Saber is gonna flame me for this, but try out Auto-RX as an alternative to those harsh solvent flushes. After that, just use a good oil+good filter(no Fram junk).

As for a fuel additive, a bottle of Red Line SI-1 wouldn't hurt once in a while, i use a low dose of it in Costco or Arco gas to provide some detergency and provide the same effect as the add packs Shell and Chevron use in their fuels.
Maybe there should be two parallel threads for all subjects where its a matter of personal preference. After reading all these opinions, the original poster has got to be so confused by it all.

Seems to me additives are a substitute for doing it right in the first place.
A wise old saying I heard before, actually two of them.

"You may not have the time to do it right the first time, but you'll have time to do it a second or third time"

"You may not have the money to get it done the first time, but you'll find the money to get it right the next time"

Its amazing people will spend tens of thousands of dollars on a car and then skimp on a few cents for gas, or a few dollars for maintenance.
Old 03-27-05, 01:18 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car is not throwing any codes and is running well, there is no need to flush. Flushing your fluids is not without its own risks. For example, flushing an AT can dislodge a lot of junk that can clog sensitive pressure map lines. Plenty of stories in the forum. There is no substitute to good maintenance, but also no need to tear down your engine regularly. Unless you're running boost and really stressing your engine, tearing it down for regular maintenance will only make your mechanic richer. To clean deposits on valves, injectors, TB, etc, a bottle of Seafoam won't hurt as part of regular maintenance.

My recommendation, an engine oil flush is a waste of money. If you're really worried, clean your injectors, TB (which ever way you like, with Seafoam or take it apart and use a good rag and some carb cleaner), refill with some good oil and a quality filter. Do a complete tune up (which should have been done at the 60k service). There are better ways to spend your money than on an oil flush. Drain and fill all your fluids. Do your AT at regular intervals and also your PS fluid. Bleed your brakes and refill with brand new DOT3. Change coolant then every 1-2 years there after and you should be fine.

All the detergents in fuel nowadays can cause deposits on your valves. I use the Red Line stuff once per oil change. Chevron's Techron is also pretty good.

If your car needs additives to run smoothly, there's something wrong with it.
Old 03-28-05, 09:04 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

One guy was right in here, I never abused it I just got it, another guy was a doctor that had it, no idea how he took care of it. I just want to make sure from this point on I make it last as long as it can last is all. Nothing wrong with that right? But if I use 93 gas all the time, do I still need to put in a fuel treatment in there?
Old 03-29-05, 12:38 AM
VGR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dsmart
But if I use 93 gas all the time, do I still need to put in a fuel treatment in there?
Nope, you don't need any additives. Highly knowledgeable Toyota / Lexus mechanics don't use additives in their own cars.
Old 03-29-05, 01:03 AM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Default Shell and Chevron gas aditives

Do the gas additvies at shell and chevron actually do anything or they just say that stuff is in there to make people buy it or does it help at all? etc