Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

any damage from low ATF level?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-05, 09:43 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any damage from low ATF level?

I recently had my ATF fluid changed, and I checked the fluid level a few days later. I found that it was a little over 1 quart low. Would this have caused any damage to my transmission? I don't know if this is something to worry about or if I'm just being paranoid.
Old 03-20-05, 10:58 PM
saber
Pole Position

What procedure did you follow to check the fluid level? If you used the wrong procedure, your transmission might now be 1 quart overfilled !
Old 03-21-05, 12:27 AM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

I drove my car for about 10-15 minutes, pulled the ATF dipstick, wiped it off, re-inserted it, and checked the fluid level using the Hot markings.
Old 03-21-05, 01:47 AM
saber
Pole Position

CHECKING AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL

INSTRUCTIONS COPIED AND PASTED FROM TOYOTA'S WEBSITE:

1. Check the fluid level when the transmission is hot (normal operating temperature).

If the vehicle has been driven over 10 miles or 16 km (15 miles or 24 km in frigid temperatures) and the fluid temperature is 160-175 degrees F, 70-80 degrees C, the transmission is hot.

If the vehicle has just been driven for a long time at high speed or in city traffic in hot weather, or if the vehicle has been pulling a trailer, an accurate fluid level cannot be obtained. Check the level after the fluid has cooled down (about 30 minutes).

You may check the level when the transmission is cold. If it has been at least five hours since the vehicle has been driven and the fluid is about room temperature (70-85 degrees F, 20-30 degrees C) the transmission is cold. However, checking a cold transmission is to be used for your reference only and the transmission must be checked again for correct fluid level at normal operating temperature.

2. Step-by-step procedures.

a. With the vehicle level, first set the parking brake and then start the engine.
b. While the engine is idling, depress the brake pedal and shift the selector lever into each range from "P" to "L" and return to "P".
c. With the engine still idling, check the fluid level and condition on the automatic transmission fluid dipstick.
d. Pull out the dipstick and wipe it clean with a rag (be careful, fluid is hot).
e. Reinsert the dipstick -- push it in as far as it will go.
f. Pull the dipstick out and look at the fluid level. If the transmission is hot, the fluid level should be in the "HOT" range on the dipstick. Similarly, if it is cold, the level should be in the "COOL" range.
g. While checking the fluid level, also check the condition. If the fluid is black or if it smells burnt, have it changed.

3. If the level is low, add the appropriate automatic transmission fluid for your vehicle.

If the level is at the low side of either range, add the appropriate automatic transmission fluid for your vehicle to bring the level within the range. (Fluid is added through the dipstick tube, using a funnel.)

NOTE: Avoid overfilling, or the transmission could be damaged.
Old 03-22-05, 02:41 AM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Okay, so my fluid level is fine now. My original question is still open: Would driving around for a few days with the ATF fluid being a quart low cause any damage?
Old 03-22-05, 03:20 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cal_alum98
Okay, so my fluid level is fine now. My original question is still open: Would driving around for a few days with the ATF fluid being a quart low cause any damage?
only for a few days, no. Not unless you drove to Fl and back within those few days. You will be fine.
Old 03-23-05, 03:40 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you would expierence some slippage but as far as damage i think you'd be ok
Old 03-27-05, 12:17 PM
yoji6365
Driver

Good thing it can handle a little bit of low level. Otherwise there would be many more damanged trannys out there.

Wouldnt you think they could come up with a better way of checking ATF level after all these years?
Old 03-28-05, 10:59 AM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yoji6365
Good thing it can handle a little bit of low level. Otherwise there would be many more damanged trannys out there.

Wouldnt you think they could come up with a better way of checking ATF level after all these years?
I think Hondas have a hole in the trans that you stick your finger in to check... lol

I'm actually surprised that no sensor has been made to detect atf levels... oh well... at least underfilling by a little doesn't cause dmg... only overfilling =P
Old 03-14-14, 12:53 AM
blakoutpre
Driver School Candidate

Default my transmission failed??

i was driving up the block,, everything was fine .. then at a stop light ,, it felt as if the car was shifting ata stop,, then i tried to pull off and then it woukdnt go into gear anymore.. i dnt get what the hell just happend!!