Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Special Interest Forums > Maintenance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

engine light

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-05, 09:48 PM   #1
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
1993ES300x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ny
Posts: 1,686
Send a message via Yahoo to 1993ES300x
Default engine light

Hey guys. this is my first time posting.. i was driving my 93 Es300 on the freeway went up at 70 -80 mph. and then the dam engine light came on..my stinking car has a 200K on it. but i was told the engine was swap. and it only has 110K .. i been reading some other post.. some say it's the O2 sensor.. please help..
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
1993ES300x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 06:32 AM   #2
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
lexusk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,370
Send a message via AIM to lexusk8 Send a message via Yahoo to lexusk8
Default

You can go to any Autozone, Advance Auto Parts or Pep Boys store and ask to have your check engine light diagnosed for free. They have an electronic scanner that does the job.

And don't call your car "stinking"; you should be proud that the ES has reached at least 200K on the odometer. Goes to show you how reliable and long-lasting your car has run
__________________
2011 CT200h Premium (Obsidian on Black Nuluxe) - Nitto Motivo 225/45/17, DDM 35W/5000K HID Slim kit, Road Magnet springs, Beat-Sonic FDA3 antenna, super white LED reverse lights
2013 GS350 F-Sport (Starfire Pearl on Black)
lexusk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 08:57 AM   #3
yoji6365
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 157
Default

I did it myself, but I read somewhere it may only be possible with California models.
However, for a 93, mine was originally bought in NY and it still worked.
The California thing might be for the newer models.

You can check it yourself, all you need is a jumper wire.

EI and TEI terminals on your diagnostics 1.

Its under the hood, passenger side by the front struts.
Its a small rectangular black plastic box. Pull the cover.

E! and TEI is on the left set of terminals.
There should be nine terminals on the left side.
E! is the top right
TE 1 is the one in the center.
The inside of the cover you opened should have a diagram.


With the car turned off, put the jumper wire in.
Turn key to on but do not crank the engine.
Check engine light will start blinking.
Count how many times it blinks, there will be a set of blinks , a short pause, then a few more.
Then a longer pause, and the new set of codes will start blinking.
Have a pen and pad ready to take down the number of blinks

I had code 52 and 55 which are knock sensors.
5,21,27,28 are oxygen sensor related.

Also, troublecodes.net is a good website to check out, thats where I got this info.
This will save you a trip to a diagnostics scanner.
yoji6365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 01:54 PM   #4
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
1993ES300x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ny
Posts: 1,686
Send a message via Yahoo to 1993ES300x
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusk8
You can go to any Autozone, Advance Auto Parts or Pep Boys store and ask to have your check engine light diagnosed for free. They have an electronic scanner that does the job.

And don't call your car "stinking"; you should be proud that the ES has reached at least 200K on the odometer. Goes to show you how reliable and long-lasting your car has run

yes yes. .my EX is GREAT... well. i call all those places(autozone, AAP, Pep boys. etc).. they all told me that they only do it for 95 and up.. man.. they all told me to bring it to the dealers.. dealers wanna charge me 70bucks just to check it. man. i think i'll try what the other guy told me about the jumper wires..
1993ES300x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 01:19 AM   #5
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
1993ES300x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ny
Posts: 1,686
Send a message via Yahoo to 1993ES300x
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoji6365
I did it myself, but I read somewhere it may only be possible with California models.
However, for a 93, mine was originally bought in NY and it still worked.
The California thing might be for the newer models.

You can check it yourself, all you need is a jumper wire.

EI and TEI terminals on your diagnostics 1.

Its under the hood, passenger side by the front struts.
Its a small rectangular black plastic box. Pull the cover.

E! and TEI is on the left set of terminals.
There should be nine terminals on the left side.
E! is the top right
TE 1 is the one in the center.
The inside of the cover you opened should have a diagram.


With the car turned off, put the jumper wire in.
Turn key to on but do not crank the engine.
Check engine light will start blinking.
Count how many times it blinks, there will be a set of blinks , a short pause, then a few more.
Then a longer pause, and the new set of codes will start blinking.
Have a pen and pad ready to take down the number of blinks

I had code 52 and 55 which are knock sensors.
5,21,27,28 are oxygen sensor related.

Also, troublecodes.net is a good website to check out, thats where I got this info.
This will save you a trip to a diagnostics scanner.

jumper wire.. here's what i'm planing to do. i open the diagnostics box and it's kinda like creamy. i don't know how to explain it.. but it's like gelly stuff.. is that normal?? if you know what i'm tlaking about. hahaa.. anyways. don't know what a jumper wire is.. so here's what i'm planning to do. just use a paper clip.. put one end in the EI and the other end in the TEI. and turn the Key to ON and count the number of the " engine check " flash ?? right???
1993ES300x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 01:22 AM   #6
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
1993ES300x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ny
Posts: 1,686
Send a message via Yahoo to 1993ES300x
Default never mind about that creamy stuff i was talking about..

it's elecritical gresse... haha.. shows how much i know about cars..
1993ES300x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 12:32 PM   #7
yoji6365
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 157
Default

A jumper wire is just a short piece of electrical wire or anything metallic tha will complete a circuit.
A paper clip will work but it wont be as secure as electrical wire.
Dont worry about the grease, its normal
yoji6365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 04:58 AM   #8
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
1993ES300x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ny
Posts: 1,686
Send a message via Yahoo to 1993ES300x
Default one problem lead to another or none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoji6365
A jumper wire is just a short piece of electrical wire or anything metallic tha will complete a circuit.
A paper clip will work but it wont be as secure as electrical wire.
Dont worry about the grease, its normal

hey there. while i was trying to put a paper clip in the E1 and TE1 and turn the Key On , i ran out of battery. had the thing jump and the check engine light did not come on.... should i still get the codes or don't worry about it??.
1993ES300x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 07:51 AM   #9
yoji6365
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 157
Default

The codes will erase when the batttery is dead or pull a certain fuse. If the condition still exists, it will eventually come back. If it doesnt come back, youre set.
yoji6365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 07:51 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info