Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Es300 Timing Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-05, 01:52 PM
MKLEX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Es300 Timing Belt Replacement

I HAVE 2000 (ES300), 73000 MILES. IF MY CAR RUNS NICE AND SMOOTH, SHOULD I REPLACE THE TIMING BELT AS SUGGESTED AT 60000 MILES BY LEXUS DEALER MAINTNANCE BOOK?
Old 02-25-05, 03:26 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to CL!

For your ES @ 73K miles, you don't need to change your timing belt until 90K. This is mentioned in the owner's manual supplement book.
Old 02-25-05, 04:24 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't go by the dealer's maintenance manual. The owner's manual shows 90K, not 60K.
Old 02-25-05, 07:28 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, wait until 90k-100k. The best will last past that point, but its a good idea to replace it then.
Old 03-02-05, 03:57 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MKLEX
I HAVE 2000 (ES300), 73000 MILES. IF MY CAR RUNS NICE AND SMOOTH, SHOULD I REPLACE THE TIMING BELT AS SUGGESTED AT 60000 MILES BY LEXUS DEALER MAINTNANCE BOOK?

Make sure you call around. My Es is getting done next week and I called 3 Lexus stealerships! The price for a timing belt varried by almost $200. Mine is getting done for $399.95 and if I need a waterpump (which they said most times no) it is an extra $200. One Lexus dealer wanted $850 for T-belt and waterpump!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-05, 07:00 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mburnickas
Make sure you call around. My Es is getting done next week and I called 3 Lexus stealerships! The price for a timing belt varried by almost $200. Mine is getting done for $399.95 and if I need a waterpump (which they said most times no) it is an extra $200. One Lexus dealer wanted $850 for T-belt and waterpump!!!!!!!
doesnt make any sense to not change the water pump, idlers, cam and crank seals at the same time... if the water pump begins to leak later on, it will ruin the belt, and you'll be paying it all over again.
Old 03-03-05, 07:29 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RTCamaroSS
doesnt make any sense to not change the water pump, idlers, cam and crank seals at the same time... if the water pump begins to leak later on, it will ruin the belt, and you'll be paying it all over again.
I agree but when I talked to all 3 dealerships they stated they rarely see these water pumps go before 140 to 150K miles. They both (2 out of 3) said you can change it but I would wait till the next timing belt change. But it is up to you.

The crank & cam seal are always changed with the TB as they all noted. They also said why chnage the Tensioner and pulleys? If you do not have a problem, leave it alone. I also asked about the therostate and they stated if you are not having a heating issue, I would wait.
Old 03-03-05, 09:42 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I can understand that reasoning on an ES, especially at those relatively reasonable prices. On the V8's, there is so much stuff to remove for a TB change that you may as well change the water pump as well while everything is apart.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 03-03-05 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-04-05, 04:23 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
I can understand that reasoning on an ES, especially at those relatively reasonable prices. On the V8's, there is so much stuff to remove for a TB change that you may as well change the water pump as well while everything is apart.
I think I am going to add the water pump since the next timing belt will be done at about 180K miles. I do not think a water pump will last that long. So I think I will add it now.
Old 03-04-05, 08:25 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RTCamaroSS
Water pump on Toyota tend to last a lifetime. So there's no need to change water pump at 90,000 miles. Maybe at 180,000.

My GM car's water pump just failed at 130,000 miles according to my nephew in NY. If the GM PoS's water pump can last that long, I bet Toyota's can do much better.
Old 03-04-05, 10:24 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

I agree, they are very good but I never have had a water pump last that long. I am going to ask if I do not do the water pump, what is the price down the road to do it.
Old 03-04-05, 12:02 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI,

My 98 ES300 has the original water pump at 171,000 miles.
I may have the dealer change the water pump when I take it in to change the timing belt this time.
Old 03-04-05, 12:42 PM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OceanView
FYI,

My 98 ES300 has the original water pump at 171,000 miles.
I may have the dealer change the water pump when I take it in to change the timing belt this time.

Cool. Glad to see that some last that long.
Old 03-15-05, 04:07 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what will happen if the water pump dies while driving it? ruined engine?

have any of you guys replaced the timing belt and/or water pump yourselves? is it difficult to do? I have yet to go consult my haynes manual.
Old 03-15-05, 06:21 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mburnickas
I agree, they are very good but I never have had a water pump last that long. I am going to ask if I do not do the water pump, what is the price down the road to do it.
Almost as much as to do the Timing belt, because they have to tear down the front parts of the engine, remove the timing belt and then some more parts to get to the water pump. That's why most of the dealership recommend the water pump when they do timing belt.

The water pump and tensioner recommendation by the dealership is for your advantage, not them. It's a lot easier to just slap the new timing belt in and move on to the next job. The water pump job is one of those " Pay me now or pay me later". Most tech don't like to do it because they have to drain the coolant, replace the water pump, refill the coolant, and run the engine to get all the air pocket out of the system. A lot more works involve.

For example, if you do the timing belt at 100K the labor to do the timing belt is 5.0 hrs and they recommend the water pump for additional of 1.0 hr + parts for the water pump. You can say yes or no. Let's say you say " No ". Another 30k miles later your water pump started to leak ( 130K) and now they will have to charge you another 6 hrs to replace the water pump.

This is pretty much " personal's preference" kind of topic. Some may say drives it until it break and some says do it all. Just my .02 cents.

Quick Reply: Es300 Timing Belt Replacement