Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Filthy Power steering fluid. Change it and go to Synthetic.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-01, 01:23 AM
Purplexed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The power steering fluid in my LS4 was FILTHY. I have not done the complete by the book fluid change, but have changed most of it.
It smells like varnish, is brown and I believe this is due to heat build up. Perhaps the excess heat is breaking down the fluid.
Since the PS is a very vulnerable part of this car, I plan to go to synthetic , hoping it has a higher heat resistance to break down.
Does anyone know what the particles are that I have been pulling from the resovoir. When you put them between both fingers, it looks like very fine dirt.
Perhaps its fluid precipitation, or vane break down.

Has anyone encoutered better luck with synthetic PS fluid, and does this cause the seals to leak prematurely?

I have already had PS seals replaced once.
Thanks
Old 05-26-01, 06:16 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a great idea to flush that power steering system out every 45k. The fluid always gets that way on Lexus vehicles. I have never used synthetic pwr str fluid before, no comments on that.

Two suggestions:

1. When the fluid is drained, look inside the fluid reservoir with a small flash light. There is a metal screen at the bottom that will become clogged with particles. If so, you can either remove the fluid reservoir and try to clean it with brake cleaner. Or take a long philips head screw driver and simply poke a small hole in the center of if. That will helps circulation of the fluid.

2. Remove the solenoid on the rack and pinion. It also has a screen that must be cleaned. I have seen so many of them clogged. It's a plastic screen and can be sprayed with brake clean as well.

Hope that helps!