Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

brake work done at dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-05, 03:48 PM
scrim67
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake work done at dealer?

My 2000 RX 300 needs some brake work done. Plus I just passed 90k miles so it needs a checkup.

I know the Lexus dealership will be very expensive. What do you all recommend I do? Dealer or local mechanic or other?

I was considering a Toyota Dealership since I think it might be a bit cheaper than going to Lexus.

I had new brakes done at my local Lexus delaer on my '98 gs 300 at 130k miles and the whole job cost me around 3k.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

scrim
Old 02-14-05, 03:52 PM
scrim67
Rookie

just some additional info. The brakes on the RX are starting to sound like they did on my GS.

when coming to a stop you hear some pretty scary grinding which sounds like metal on metal.

Can anyone recommend a repair shop that knows lexus' inside and out.

I'm in central NJ...Freehold area.
Old 02-14-05, 04:03 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

DIY...save lots of money, learn how to work on your car, and know that its done right
Old 02-14-05, 04:44 PM
asic_bbc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scrim67

when coming to a stop you hear some pretty scary grinding which sounds like metal on metal.

I'm in central NJ...Freehold area.

My RX300 was doing the grinding sounds too. Yes, it does sound very scary. But when I checked the pads, there were still 50% left. I went ahead and replaced the front pads, the grinding sounds went away and the brake is also much smoother.
Old 02-14-05, 06:18 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$3,000 seems excessive for a brake job on the GS. BTW, you'll need to replace the timing belt at 90K. Call different Lexus and Toyota dealers and ask for pricing. Toyota can usually do it for less.

If you have a mechanic you trust, then buy the parts yourself and have him do it. Don't go to those chain stores because they'll screw you with cheap pads with so-called lifetime warranty. Then you'll have to replace them once a year. The pads are free, but they'll charge you labor time.

I'd advise against doing the brake job yourself unless you already have the skills and tools. It's not worth the time and effort to learn something that you only do once every 5 years or longer. Nor it is worth it to invest money in ever-changing tools. Leave it to the pros who do it everyday.

FWIW, I had my 2002 RX300's front rotors and pads done recently at the local Lexus dealer (the rotors were warped, all parts replaced under warranty.) The job was done superbly well and zero dollar out of my pocket. Not sure what it might cost without warranty.
Old 02-14-05, 06:30 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
I'd advise against doing the brake job yourself unless you already have the skills and tools. It's not worth the time and effort to learn something that you only do once every 5 years or longer. Nor it is worth it to invest money in ever-changing tools. Leave it to the pros who do it everyday.
You need a basic socket set (I got my new Great Neck bigass socket set for $15), a 4inch C-clamp, and all the skills needed to change out a flat. People on this forum really underestimate themselves, and that kinda saddens me. You dont have to take your car to the dealership for everything, and you shouldnt for most things, unless of course its under warranty. I can do a full front brake job in about an hour by myself, so believe me, its not hard
Old 02-14-05, 07:37 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

As far as buying parts for a brake job, your best bet for OEM brake parts is http://www.irontoad.com. It's actually from a Lexus dealership located in PA, but they also outsource their parts inventory via the website. Prices are as much as 60% cheaper than similar parts found at your local Lexus dealership.

As an example, I bought front rotors and pads from Irontoad for less than $200 shipped, and got my mechanic friend to help me install the parts in my ES. Only cost for labor was a few beers
Old 02-14-05, 09:21 PM
scrim67
Rookie

if I bought the parts myself how do I know what parts exactly?
Old 02-14-05, 11:18 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Call your dealer's part dept. and ask for part numbers. Online part stores can also point you to the right part numbers once you furnish vehicle model and year.
Old 02-15-05, 11:50 AM
jimbo22s
Driver School Candidate

The scraping you hear might be the rivets on the worn out brake pads scraping aginst the metal brake disc. The bolts can dig into the disc and cause permanent damage, causing you to have to replace the disc in addition to the brake pads. But the shop can smooth out the disk if you take the car in before it's scraped too severely.

Don't think you require a shop that knows Lexus inside and out for brake repair. $3k sounds like way too much. A previous poster indicated that he bought all the parts for $200, and the labor is routine for someone who knows how to do it. To find out what parts you need, maybe the dealer would provide a free brake inspection. Or you could take the car to Firestone (or similar) for an inspection for around $15.

You can save money if you can buy the parts and find a local shop to install them for you. But I'd take my car to a chain shop for routine brake maintenence before I'd take it to a dealer.
Old 02-17-05, 02:40 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo22s
The scraping you hear might be the rivets on the worn out brake pads scraping aginst the metal brake disc. The bolts can dig into the disc and cause permanent damage, causing you to have to replace the disc in addition to the brake pads. But the shop can smooth out the disk if you take the car in before it's scraped too severely.

Don't think you require a shop that knows Lexus inside and out for brake repair. $3k sounds like way too much. A previous poster indicated that he bought all the parts for $200, and the labor is routine for someone who knows how to do it. To find out what parts you need, maybe the dealer would provide a free brake inspection. Or you could take the car to Firestone (or similar) for an inspection for around $15.

You can save money if you can buy the parts and find a local shop to install them for you. But I'd take my car to a chain shop for routine brake maintenence before I'd take it to a dealer.
110% of the time they will tell you that you needs new pads and rotors, even if you have 30K on the car