Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Summa Cleanin

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-01, 02:02 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I cant wait till tom. at 10:30 when i will finish my last exam and begin to tackle my summer project: playing with/cleaning my car. I plan to detail the whole exterior and interior along w/ getting sum mods.
A few questions though:
1. I want to clean the WHOLE interior of the car and I was wondering if anyone has taken out the two front seats and if so, how hard is it and how long did it take?
2. What carpet cleaner is the best for grey interior?
3. What is the best product to clean chrome wheels?
4. How do u take out the center high beams?
5. What is the best leather cleaner for grey leather seats?
6. Is there any place out there that sells aluminum dash trim for a 1992 SC?

I love the meguiars line of cleaning products so i will be using their waxs/cleaners, but i just want to know what else is out there and how it performs. Thanks and sorry this was kinda long.

Old 05-23-01, 06:06 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

MLSC3, you'll find lots of Zaino and Lexol believers here. Just curious (since I sold my beloved 93 SC3 with 5 speed to accomodate enlarging/lengthening boys with GS430 rear seats): your SC 5 speed or limp (unless you've pumped up ur motor) auto?............lovely car either way, but I sure miss my stick.

Can't help with disassembly; never got that far except for Lexol entire interior.

However, considering how helpful everybody here is, expect plenty of detailed posts!!!!

Old 05-23-01, 06:41 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

moore, i have an auto, but its my first car so i could care less. My dad had a manual 1991 Celica GT-S (only good year) and i loved it. Kinda wish my SC were manual but dont mind an auto. I haven't done anything yet, but when i go to college (away from parents) i think i might get a TC and an exhaust. Right now i only have a K&N drop in filter. My pic is in the SC members rides section and on the 11th. pg of the SC gallery (labeled wheel and side) When u say u Lexoled the entire interior, im assuming u didn't do under the seats???? What did u trade ur SC in for and did u have any mods on ur SC?
Old 05-24-01, 03:13 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

MLSC3, my last post was slightly hurried as I was riding herd on the 2 previously mentioned boys (4 & 7). I had the SC300 special ordered when new (5 speeds not being the most common transmission choice) as: Pearl White Metallic, gray leather, Nakamichi. I was replacing a 92 SC400 and didn't want to trade off straight line performance just to get the better handling balance of the SC3, so I spec'd the 5 speed which gave similar acceleration numbers to the SC4 of the time (only 250 hp in the 4 liter back then). I kept it almost 8 years; only mod was to put a set of stock 95 (or 96, can't remember now) SC4 16" wheels so I could use bigger, lower profile rubber. I Lexoled the exposed leather surfaces. Didn't remove the seats but was able to vacuum under them pretty completely and in the tight space next to the trans tunnel using a long narrow crevice attachment on my vac.

The previously mentioned boys fit fine in the back for a while, but as they were getting bigger, the front seat backs were beginning to show the effects of their feet. Thighs not yet long enough to put knee joint at edge of seat cushion, so they'd just prop their feet on the seat backs. Since it was about time to begin thinking about something new anyway, I sold (still crying! 4 mos later........man, I loved that car!) it when my special ordered 01 GS430 arrived in January. No mods there yet, but planning on L-tuned springs, shocks, steering ECU......maybe mufflers too. But I'll likely live with stock for a few more months.

Congratulations on having an SC for a first car!! That is still one of the most gorgeous shapes on the road. There are aspects of the appearance of the new SC that I like; there are still NO aspects of the old SC that I don't!!!! (I frankly wish that I were well enough off and had the room to have kept the SC forever.) BTW, mechanically your car is essentially an anvil (nothing breaks). Be sure timing belt was changed at 60k. If still has the original stock shocks, they are well past useful life from both ride and handling standpoint. There just isn't much that goes wrong with the SC. Yours looks GREAT!!

Last edited by mooretorque; 05-24-01 at 03:16 AM.