Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

how can you tell if the A/C works in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-05, 12:36 AM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how can you tell if the A/C works in the winter?

In the fall, I remember knowing that my A/C worked because the rpms would rise at idle when the A/C was turned on. Today, I took the car out, turned the A/C on (through defrost mode) and the rpms didn't rise noticeably. Does this mean that my A/C is out of service?

I also tried this on my Civic, and it didn't rise. Both my SC and the Civic had working A/C in the fall. Now I'm wondering if it's all ok and just doesn't rise during the winter (for some reason or another), or if I'm going to be stuck with an expensive repair bill come summer.

Thanks,
-Brian.
Old 01-22-05, 09:17 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen for the a/c compressor to turn on... Or you can turn the a/c button on/off and you will hear and feel it that way
Old 01-22-05, 12:18 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

If the temp is much below freezing, the A/C won't come on at all in AUTO mode (no need to dehumdify air that's already chilled below the freezing point of water) and your idle rpm will be down 300 or so.

You can, of course, turn it on manually to see if it's still working but there's no reason to leave it on.
Old 01-22-05, 08:14 PM
saber
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait for a day with above freezing temperatures, then intially turn on the AC only after the engine has fully warmed up and is idling. Once the compressor is running you can drive normally. Run the AC compressor like this once a week or at least once a month throughout the winter, Run it at least 30 seconds and preferably 5 minutes or more. These measures will enable your AC system to run troublefree for decades or 500,000 miles.

Failure to run the AC compressor periodically during the winter is the #1 reason AC systems develop refrigerant leaks after 5-10 years or the compressor fails prematurely. The AC system is like the engine of the car - it needs to be exercised throughout the year.
Old 01-23-05, 09:32 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by saber
Wait for a day with above freezing temperatures, then intially turn on the AC only after the engine has fully warmed up and is idling. Once the compressor is running you can drive normally. Run the AC compressor like this once a week or at least once a month throughout the winter, Run it at least 30 seconds and preferably 5 minutes or more. These measures will enable your AC system to run troublefree for decades or 500,000 miles.

Failure to run the AC compressor periodically during the winter is the #1 reason AC systems develop refrigerant leaks after 5-10 years or the compressor fails prematurely. The AC system is like the engine of the car - it needs to be exercised throughout the year.
Agreed!