Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Rounded bolt -- AAAAGGGHHHH!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05, 09:51 AM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rounded bolt -- AAAAGGGHHHH!

Okay, so I'm replacing the gas struts in my trunk, that hold up the trunk lid. I got one installed without a problem. But on the other one, the bolt is too tight to remove. Unfortunately I managed to round off part of it. I tried using some Liquid Wrench to loosen it, with no results. I can't fit a bolt-out socket on it because there is something covering the bolt head (it's a bolt with a ball on it that fits into a socket on the old strut). I'm also worried that the ball might extend out too far for a socket to reach the bolt part that it needs to grip.

Normally one can use a propane torch to heat up the thing and make it expand. This is NOT a good idea in this case because 1) it's a compressed gas strut, and the gas end is the one with the bolt on it, and 2) it's 7" away from the gas tank.

Does anyone have any recommendations on proceeding? Perhaps use a Dremel tool to cut the plastic part of the strut off the ball, and hope that a bolt-out socket will fit over the exposed ball to reach the bolt?
Old 01-10-05, 10:45 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

I think the round thing can be popped off, I'm not sure cause I replaced a strut over a year ago. Anyways, do a search, I found a tutorial, which I used, to help me replace my strut.
Old 01-10-05, 11:43 AM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Well yes, I did find that tutorial, and it was very helpful in replacing the one strut I managed to get unbolted. It doesn't really address the issue of prying off the ball end of a strut that can't be unbolted. I gave that a try, and honestly the old strut doesn't seem to be designed to release once the ball is snapped into place.
Old 01-10-05, 11:46 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

cut it off with a dremel
Old 01-10-05, 12:19 PM
TeeDub
Driver

The strut will not release from the ball?
(There was a little clip holding it, that may not be fully removed.)

Or the ball/bolt will not unscrew from the mounting?
(Vise grips are your friend.)
Old 01-10-05, 01:17 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default ...as is heat.

I've installed 4 sets of those trunk struts and would not hesitate to use a torch.

It is not that close to the cylinder or the tank, and it's not gonna need much heat before the loc-tite begins to soften. If you're that cautious, use a cigarette lighter.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 01-10-05 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-10-05, 01:42 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TeeDub
The strut will not release from the ball?
(There was a little clip holding it, that may not be fully removed.)

Or the ball/bolt will not unscrew from the mounting?
(Vise grips are your friend.)
Yes and yes. I was not successful in prying the strut off the ball. But the ball/bolt also will not unscrew.

I actually did try using a Zippo lighter to heat the bolt and loosen it. It didn't work. Afterward I thought, "open flame on the gas end of a gas strut, and 7" away from the gas tank, just screams 'Bad Idea (TM).'"

I think a Dremel is my next step.
Old 01-10-05, 02:00 PM
TeeDub
Driver

I had similar problems when I removed mine... There really should be just a littel metal clip holding the strut to the ball... If you can get in there and look (easier said than done.)

If nothing else, get a bigger hammer. (Just whack the strut a time or two and beat it off the ball.. That whole ball/screw is going to come out anyway.)
Old 01-10-05, 02:22 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TeeDub
I had similar problems when I removed mine... There really should be just a littel metal clip holding the strut to the ball... If you can get in there and look (easier said than done.)
The new ones do have a clip you can pry. Unfortunately, the old ones do not.

A big hammer sounds like a good idea, and possibly good therapy.
Old 01-10-05, 08:14 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

A coarse file or rotary tool to remove the cartridge. Then the file to get some flats back on the rounded nut so you can get a wrench on it.

This is one PITA with various hand tools and fasteners. The production levels leave some wide tolerances and the wrong combo screws it all up. A while back I had to take a micrometer to a bunch of hex keys and measure the tolerances. I learned then I should check critical bolts before randomly taking a wrench to them. Even knowing that, I go at it blindly and have messed up my share along the way.

Good luck with yours.
Old 01-11-05, 10:05 AM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RA40
I learned then I should check critical bolts before randomly taking a wrench to them.
Yes, a friend of mine tried his hand at it and said, "Are you sure it's metric and not English? I know it should be since it's a Japanese car, but the 12mm wrench seems to fit a little loose."

He couldn't find an English wrench that would fit it, either, so I presume that production tolerance for the bolt in question is to blame.

Thanks for the advice about the file -- that's a good idea. I'm going to try cutting the strut and the ball off and seeing if I can fit a socket wrench on it.
Old 01-17-05, 09:20 PM
SamMan23
Driver School Candidate

you need something with teeth. like this

http://mc.clintock.com/basement/tool...vice-grips.jpg
Old 01-31-05, 09:10 PM
hlovepenn
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the funniest thread that I have ever seen--please see if you can package it with BBC and run it in the Fall. LUV IT!