Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Engine Sludge Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 04:25 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Not scared, just since I have been a member of this club & LOC I have heard horror stories with repair bills in the thousands as far as the ATF is concerned.

As for the engine oil, I have a Lexus extended warranty for another year or 55,000 miles (which ever comes first of course ). The problem I have is I have to follow the oil change intervals stated by Lexus to keep my warranty valid should anything (knock on wood) happen if I extended the drain intervals even with Amsoil. I just like the absolute best possible fluids I can get in my cars.

Where do I get that special kind of water you mentioned with regards to the engine coolant?
You do not have to follow anything. This topic has come up time and time again, and so far the Printed manual is only a guide. I have explained this before and Lexus cannot deny you a warranty due to fluid length of time, viscosity etc. Also Amsoil has stated this for years; I even asked them this last year. If fluid is in question, they will test. You will be fine with Amsoil ATF. All my autos since 1994 have had extended drains and never had a problem nor any issues when autos brought in for warranty items.

Amsoil about 5-years ago had to re-do there oil filters due to Mobil’s filter coming very close to Amsoil (Badlwin) filters. Also if you use a different oil filter, you can’t do extended drains.

The RO/DI water can be most fish stores and or food stores. The price can be from 1 to $2.50 per gallon since the membranes and filters are not cheap. It takes about 32 minutes to make (1) gallon at home.
Old 01-17-05, 04:48 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mburnickas
You do not have to follow anything. This topic has come up time and time again, and so far the Printed manual is only a guide. I have explained this before and Lexus cannot deny you a warranty due to fluid length of time, viscosity etc. Also Amsoil has stated this for years; I even asked them this last year. If fluid is in question, they will test. You will be fine with Amsoil ATF. All my autos since 1994 have had extended drains and never had a problem nor any issues when autos brought in for warranty items.

Amsoil about 5-years ago had to re-do there oil filters due to Mobil’s filter coming very close to Amsoil (Badlwin) filters. Also if you use a different oil filter, you can’t do extended drains.

The RO/DI water can be most fish stores and or food stores. The price can be from 1 to $2.50 per gallon since the membranes and filters are not cheap. It takes about 32 minutes to make (1) gallon at home.
I will have a look for the water you mention at the grocery store. Amsoil also I noticed has their own long life coolant that is a different make up then others on the market.....intresting

So you say that the Mobil 1 filters are close to the Amsoil (or were)? How much are the Amsoil filters roughly compared to the K & N & Mobil 1? I know I can get both for between $8 - 10 U.S. The 3 sound almost the same in a lot of areas.

The one thing I do not want to do is install a 'by-pass filter' that Amsoil mentions......I think that's a bit extreme & I will not leave the oil in that long anyways (a year or more) so I won't need something like that.
Old 01-17-05, 05:43 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Amsoil only has the PG coolant which has bee out for awhile.

Mobil filters WERE close to Amsoil’s ASF filters about 5 years ago. That is why Amsoil re-did there filters to SDF. Amsoil is made by Baldwin corp. My Amsoil oil filters are like $8 to 10 each. They are good for 6-months OR 12.5K miles.

I am in the same boat. Their by-pass is VERY nice but too much $$$$ for me.
Old 01-17-05, 06:28 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Amsoil only has the PG coolant which has bee out for awhile.

Mobil filters WERE close to Amsoil’s ASF filters about 5 years ago. That is why Amsoil re-did there filters to SDF. Amsoil is made by Baldwin corp. My Amsoil oil filters are like $8 to 10 each. They are good for 6-months OR 12.5K miles.

I am in the same boat. Their by-pass is VERY nice but too much $$$$ for me.
So can I get Amsoil filters at any regular auto parts store? or do I have to go through a "Amsoil" dealer? see I find that a huge pain in the butt........if their product is so good, why is it so 'exclusive'? I'm not suggesting it isn't good.......but when it's not readily available all over the place, it makes it harder (and possibly more expensive) to get. Its just annoying.

The Amsoil oil filter part number is SDF57 correct? I assume it's the same for your 98 ES as my 01.
Old 01-17-05, 06:34 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

So can I get Amsoil filters at any regular auto parts store? or do I have to go through a "Amsoil" dealer? see I find that a huge pain in the butt........if their product is so good, why is it so 'exclusive'? I'm not suggesting it isn't good.......but when it's not readily available all over the place, it makes it harder (and possibly more expensive) to get. Its just annoying.

The Amsoil oil filter part number is SDF57 correct? I assume it's the same for your 98 ES as my 01.
In my areas Amsoil stuff is like gas stations. They are everyewhere. They are exclusive since it keeps the morons from selling their products. A lot of business are like they. Weber grills for one. Bose etc.

Yes, I use an SDF57 on my ES
Old 01-17-05, 07:26 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

In my areas Amsoil stuff is like gas stations. They are everyewhere. They are exclusive since it keeps the morons from selling their products. A lot of business are like they. Weber grills for one. Bose etc.

Yes, I use an SDF57 on my ES
Thanks mburn. I've contacted Amsoil & they are sending me a package of their products, including synthetic oil, tranny fluid, oil filters & coolant. Should be intresting. Now if I can only fine all the dealers that carry this stuff near me, I can see if I can 'make an arrangement' with them as far as price is concerned.

As for the Amsoil synthetic ATF, did you seriously notice a 'significant' difference in the quality of the shifts or were they smoother than the regular Toyota type IV tranny fluid or not much difference at all? Please explain in detail if you wouldn't mind.
Old 01-17-05, 07:40 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

I personally think it shirft smoother but I have only compared it to the ATF fluids that was in the car when I bought it.

I know my my past truck, Ford diesel, it was night and day.
Old 01-17-05, 08:24 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

I personally think it shirft smoother but I have only compared it to the ATF fluids that was in the car when I bought it.

I know my my past truck, Ford diesel, it was night and day.
And price wise? Roughly the same price per qt. as the ASL synthetic oil?
Old 01-17-05, 08:41 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

ATF and engine oils are different hence different price. It can range from 7 to $9 per qt.

My ES only holds 4.5 qts in tranny and diff and gets down every 2 years. I figure the $40 to $45 for 2-years is worth it.
Old 01-17-05, 08:51 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Question

ATF and engine oils are different hence different price. It can range from 7 to $9 per qt.

My ES only holds 4.5 qts in tranny and diff and gets down every 2 years. I figure the $40 to $45 for 2-years is worth it.
Good enough What store(s) do you usually get you Amsoil products from regularly? or are you an Amsoil dealer yourself? & just courious, who 'switched' you over to the Amsoil products anyways?

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 01-17-05 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-17-05, 12:29 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Here is the response to my questions today to Mobil 1 about their synthetic oil vs. Amsoil:

Mobil does not have any information about Amsoil and comparitive tests. Mobil1 motor oils are all API approved and are used with many OEM vehicles from the factory. Mobil1 motor oils are tested with the API, engine testing, and field testing. Amsoil does not have any hard claims at all (no API testing, not API approved, no field testing, no engine testing) there is no comparison between Mobil1 and Amsoil.

R/
Matt
Old 01-17-05, 02:00 PM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Here is the response to my questions today to Mobil 1 about their synthetic oil vs. Amsoil:

Mobil does not have any information about Amsoil and comparitive tests. Mobil1 motor oils are all API approved and are used with many OEM vehicles from the factory. Mobil1 motor oils are tested with the API, engine testing, and field testing. Amsoil does not have any hard claims at all (no API testing, not API approved, no field testing, no engine testing) there is no comparison between Mobil1 and Amsoil.

R/
Matt

Gee what a surprise. Too bad that the API limits are what keeps Mobil one down. API testing means ZERO. Talk about playing up the API crap. Unreal. He is wrong about field testing and engine testing. I think Matt needs to grow and go to college. Email Matt and ask for some results, un-used about there oils. Once you see the #'s you will see why they stopped the 25K drains.

There is a reason why Amsoil does not do API testing. They change there product a lot and they would spend $$$ going through testing every 12 to 15 months.

Here is a simple comparsion AMSOIL 5W-30 vs. Mobil SuperSyn 5W-30:

NOACK Volatility: AMSOIL: 4.90%, SuperSyn: 9.17%

Flash Point: AMSOIL: 446 deg. F., SuperSyn: 435 deg. F.

Fire Point: AMSOIL: 471 deg. F., SuperSyn: 455 deg. F.

Pour Point: AMSOIL: - 60 deg. F, SuperSyn: -54 deg. F

4-Ball Wear Test: AMSOIL 0.374 mm, SuperSyn: 0.667 mm

TBN (Total Base No.): AMSOIL 12.35, SuperSyn 8.45

Virgin sample of Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5w-30. See anything that stands out?

Tin 0
Lead 0
Copper 0
Aluminum 0
Silicon 3
Iron 2
Chromium 0.1
Silver 0
Zinc 1000
Magnesium 20
Nickel 0
Barium 0
Sodium 7
Calcium 3000
Vanadium 0
Phosphorus 902
Molybdenum 82
Boron 187
Manganese 0

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES
Viscosity 10.54
Acid No. 2.78

Gee,the API testing really helps! JOKE

I have seen Amsoil 5w-30's and even their 10-40 over zinc at 1270, phosphorus at 1150 and even calcium at 4342. I am not saying Mobil is bad but I have neve ever seen Mobil at this level.

At least Matt got it right, there is no comparison. Mobil oils are as low 5 on TBN and there ZDDP package is in the same class as group 3 oils.

Last edited by mburnickas; 01-17-05 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-17-05, 02:03 PM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Good enough What store(s) do you usually get you Amsoil products from regularly? or are you an Amsoil dealer yourself? & just courious, who 'switched' you over to the Amsoil products anyways?
Most garages have it and part stores in my area. I was a dealer back when I had my truck since I need lots of fluids. I have not been a dealer for about 5-years. I switched since my friends drive 18-wheelers and use the stuff. I did use Mobil at one time then they stated the 25K miles or one year. After then, I stopped using it.
Old 01-17-05, 02:52 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Most garages have it and part stores in my area. I was a dealer back when I had my truck since I need lots of fluids. I have not been a dealer for about 5-years. I switched since my friends drive 18-wheelers and use the stuff. I did use Mobil at one time then they stated the 25K miles or one year. After then, I stopped using it.
We have a couple 'chain' stores that carry Amsoil.......it's about $12 Canadian per litre (and I'm not sure if it's the ASL or 7500 series to be honest with you).....same goes for Redlin 5W30. I can get a 4.4L jug of Mobil 1 5W 30 with super syn for about $27.50 at Walmart......I just wish Walmart carried Amsoil or Redline. It's harder to come by up here & I wonder if it's worth it to become a dealer myself.......I wouldn't sell ton's of it but I would make a few bucks I guess. I don't know if I want to go through all that aggravation or not. I'm going to Florida in March (actually when I'm do for my next oil change) so I don't think I want to use the Mobil 1 there & back because I will go over my mileage interval.

I'm also considering the Redline, but I have hear a lot more about Amsoil personally.....Redline sounds like it more for racing then regular motorist applications.
Old 01-17-05, 03:40 PM
mburnickas
Pole Position

We have a couple 'chain' stores that carry Amsoil.......it's about $12 Canadian per litre (and I'm not sure if it's the ASL or 7500 series to be honest with you).....same goes for Redlin 5W30. I can get a 4.4L jug of Mobil 1 5W 30 with super syn for about $27.50 at Walmart......I just wish Walmart carried Amsoil or Redline. It's harder to come by up here & I wonder if it's worth it to become a dealer myself.......I wouldn't sell ton's of it but I would make a few bucks I guess. I don't know if I want to go through all that aggravation or not. I'm going to Florida in March (actually when I'm do for my next oil change) so I don't think I want to use the Mobil 1 there & back because I will go over my mileage interval.

I'm also considering the Redline, but I have hear a lot more about Amsoil personally.....Redline sounds like it more for racing then regular motorist applications.
You will NEVER see Redline or Amsoil at your local wal-fart. It is too expensive for them.

Becoming a dealer is very easy and if you order more then two cases of oil, for example it is worth it. See, if you were using Redline or Amsoil the Florida trip would not even be an issue! Redline and Amsoil are VERY close in properties. I use Amsoil since I get it cheaper. I know just by looking at Mobil SS it does not contain the right amount of ZDDP for me.

Quick Reply: Engine Sludge Issue...