Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

How can I test the starter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-04, 11:16 AM
jimbo22s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I test the starter?

Car won't start. I get lights and accesories,but only a click when I turn the key. Jumped it, took it to local shop. They said I needed a new battery and alternator. Didn't make complete sense because the car drove fine, and I could restart it several more times that day once it started in the first place. But two days later same no start and no jump. Dropped in the battery, same no start until the fourth try when it turned over. Changed alternator, got several succesful starts. Same no start two days later.

How can I test the battery?
How can I start the car to take it in?
Can I test the original alternator now that it's not in the car?
Old 12-24-04, 12:40 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by jimbo22s
Car won't start. I get lights and accesories,but only a click when I turn the key. Jumped it, took it to local shop. They said I needed a new battery and alternator. Didn't make complete sense because the car drove fine, and I could restart it several more times that day once it started in the first place. But two days later same no start and no jump. Dropped in the battery, same no start until the fourth try when it turned over. Changed alternator, got several succesful starts. Same no start two days later.

How can I test the battery?
How can I start the car to take it in?
Can I test the original alternator now that it's not in the car?
I think you can take it to a place like Autozone or Pepboys for a free test of what (if any) component is failing in the starting or ignition system.
Old 12-24-04, 01:41 PM
jimbo22s
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply.

Pep Boys told me I needed the new alternator, but I'm not sure that's correct. I'll try Auto Zone.

In my post intended to ask how I test the starter , not the battery.
Old 12-24-04, 02:39 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

When my starter was bad, all i heard was a click. To start the car, you'll have to turn the key twice and fast, the car should turn over after the second turn of the key. I don't think theres a way to test the starter but my guess, from previous experience, is that your starter is bad. Just rebuild it and it should be fine.
Old 12-25-04, 07:09 AM
jimbo22s
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply.

Even after changing the battery and alternator, on those occasions that the car starts, I can drive around and make stops. Run into the store, get gas, etc. The car starts right back up. But it then gives me the same start problem after it sits overnight. It seems to start without problem if the car is warm or has run.

Is this consistent with a bad starter?
Old 12-25-04, 12:17 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the reply.

Even after changing the battery and alternator, on those occasions that the car starts, I can drive around and make stops. Run into the store, get gas, etc. The car starts right back up. But it then gives me the same start problem after it sits overnight. It seems to start without problem if the car is warm or has run.

Is this consistent with a bad starter?
yep. Do a search on starter rebuild in the ES forum, I'm sure somebody has done it before. it only cost ~$5-10 in parts for the SC if i remember correctly.
Old 12-25-04, 05:29 PM
jimbo22s
Driver School Candidate

Would a faulty starter relay cause this problem? Or a faulty ignition switch?
Old 12-25-04, 05:44 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

I have no idea, it was just the starter contacts for me. But since your car is a '99, i dunno what the problem is. The contacts shouldnt be worn so soon.

Last edited by indelible; 12-25-04 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-30-04, 11:50 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Would a faulty starter relay cause this problem? Or a faulty ignition switch?
Any of those will cause the symptoms you are describing. Since the starter is fairly easy to get to (compared to V8 models), you can run a starter switch directly to it and try to start it when cold bypassing the circuit.

The starter solenoid has 2 wires attached. One large is from the battery. The smaller wire is from the ignition switch. You can either short the two wires with a wrench/screwdriver (be very carefull) or use a manual starter switch. Make sure the key is in the ON position. This will tell you where your problem is. If it works fine all of the time then your problem is in the circuit somewhere. If it does not, your starter is going out.
Lee