Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

97 ES300 AVS Strut Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-04, 12:31 PM
Carcrazy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ES300 AVS Strut Conversion

My 97 ES300 with AVS needs new struts. The dealer cost for replacing the AVS struts is pretty much cost prohibitive (both parts as well as labor). I'm looking at converting to traditional struts. Anyone have experience doing this? Also, anyone have any information on vendors who sell conversion kits?

Thanks.
Old 01-26-05, 03:09 PM
Carcrazy
Driver School Candidate

Bump - anyone with info?
Old 01-26-05, 07:49 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there a particular reason why your ES needs new struts, and also why you do not want to stay with the AVS-controlled struts?
Old 01-27-05, 09:40 AM
Carcrazy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for inquiring.

My car ('97) now has 207k miles and I consistently hear squeaking noies from the rear whenever I got over bumps at slower speeds. In addition, I experience thunking sounds and a very noticable impact on the ride quality when going over bumps and potholes at highway speeds - more so than you would expect when driving over these things. I have checked the sway bar bushings as the cause of the squeaking noise but they look fine. So, I'm thinking my struts and maybe mounts are due for replacement given the age and mileage.

I have tested the AVS system by varying the settings while going slowly over speed bumps and I can tell a difference so the system seems to be working. The struts are old and likely not as effective as new ones. I also had a Lexus dealer do a quick check of the AVS system and was told it is working (not sure what they did to verify this).

The reason for converting to a conventional suspension is simply the cost of replacement parts for the AVS struts. The four AVS struts run about $1,300 which does NOT include installation.

The ride of my car is tolerable but I find the noises and thunking annoying. With the high milage of my car I hestite to make a huge investment into the suspension. Also, it's hard to spend this kind of money for the marginal benefit AVS provides based upon my driving habits (others may get much more out of this system than I do). Lastly, I'm troubleshooting a P0420 diagnostic code which could result in an expensive cat replacment bill.

I'm looking for anyone that has done such a conversion and can provide information / directions on the procedure and parts. I suspect that the AVS system needs to be disabled as part of the conversion. Lexus dealers in the midwest where I live have given mixed messages about whether or not this can and should be done. None of these dealers has done such a conversion.
Old 01-27-05, 09:50 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

There aren't many ES members here with the rare AVS option in their cars, and performing a conversion of the suspension system to the traditional kind is an even rarer instance. However, we have a few excellent Lexus technicians who may be able to provide useful feedback based on your problem, so I'm moving this to the Maintenance forum
Old 04-04-05, 05:27 AM
the2ndr
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ok so anyone have an idea???

I have a 97 es with the avs. Can I not just purchase aftermarket struts and springs for a 97-01 camry v6?