Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Attn: Mean Gene

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-01, 08:11 AM
RodGrp

Exclamation

I sent an email to my service advisor. Lexus does not recommend synthetic motor oil to be use in my IS300. Why are they saying that Lexus does not recommend? I was planning to change at 9000 miles when I bring it in to service. I sent the email to Keyes Lexus in Van Nuys, California.
Old 05-04-01, 11:47 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Not Sure About an IS3?

Rod - Well, I'm not sure about an IS3 but isn't that the same engine that's in the GS3? If so, go to the GS3/4 section of this website & scan for the thread titled "Oil?". A member ( mdgold ) has posted the same information I found in my owner's manual concerning synthetic oil. In fact, my dealership will do an oil change using either their oil or any brand that YOU bring them so I don't see where the IS3 would be different. Let us know what your E-mail turns up & good luck!
BTW - I'd use the syn anyway because based on my warranty paperwork, it DOESN'T void the warranty!
Old 05-04-01, 09:03 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RodGrp
I sent an email to my service advisor. Lexus does not recommend synthetic motor oil to be use in my IS300. Why are they saying that Lexus does not recommend? I was planning to change at 9000 miles when I bring it in to service. I sent the email to Keyes Lexus in Van Nuys, California.
Whom exactly responded to your e-mail? I know many people there.
Old 05-05-01, 10:03 AM
RodGrp

Lexus does not recommend synthetic oil, so once again please contact us.

Best Regards
Kim McGregor
Client Services Director
Keyes Lexus

Michael Skobin [mskobin@keyescars.com]

Here the info! Thanks Mean Gene for the comment. It seems odd for this statement to occur from the dealer.
Old 05-06-01, 04:35 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy Final Word, I Hope!?

Rod - I've read & re-read all my warranty paperwork & see NOTHING prohibiting synthetic oil!! According to a lawyer friend of mine who has done claims against Chevrolet & Ford, unless there is paperwork that states that synthetic oil will void your warranty, then there's NO problem!! Lexus just "recommends" a certain viscosity range - they can't make U use that range nor penalize ya for not - it's just their recommendation. Now we both know that Lexus can make things hard for us if we need a repair covered under warranty but if U threaten them with court, they'll usually back down, especially over a trivial despute over oil types.
Guys - it's up to each of us to decide what oil we want to run. Bit's relative did the R&D for Mobil 1 & says it's not necessary for a street driven car. I, on the other hand, have seen the value of synthetics firsthand & prefer to have the extra protection ( at the higher cost/quart ). Neither one of us is right/wrong - we are just doing what WE think is best for our individual cases!
Old 05-06-01, 07:28 PM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

guys,
Gene is right.
I work for BIG OIL. synthetics are far superior to conventional oils in EVERY way. reason why they cost so much. Even our top engineers don't recommend putting synthetics into a normal car because it just costing you more $$$, but If you have a HI performance car, drive it a bit harder, take a bit longer on the intervals, synthetics are for you. Also if you live in THE SOUTH or area which have high Humidity and temperatures, then synthetics will provide better protection against Thermal breakdown.

Gene, am I correct so Far?
I only work with you "petro" types...I need to remember to record the lectures on Olefins...Great Drug-free sleeping AID. hahaha