Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Amsoil...any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-04, 01:54 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amsoil...any opinions?

Currently I am using Mobile1 5W-30 Synthetic oil with OEM oil filter on my 2001 LS430. i change oil about 7,000-7,500 miles depending on how the car was driven in that given interval. I heard lots of good things about Amsoil synthetic motor oil. I went on their website and they are showing some graphs where Mobile1 is totally beat by Amsoil. Is that true or is it just a marketing pitch? Any of you out there use Amsoil in your Lex? I would appreciate any opinions, especially if Mobile1 and Amsoil were compared by someone in their own car. Is there a difference? If Amsoil is used, is the drain interval longer with Amsoil vs Mobile1? Next oil change is coming up pretty soon for me, so I am trying to decide should I try Amsoil or stick to Mobile1. Thanks.
Old 11-16-04, 02:10 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

I have seen plenty of comparisons on this. There are several sites on the Internet, (read my previous posts under Lexmex or Lexmexico).

I know guys at the drag racing strip down here who buy the Amsoil from a local dealer, and they claim no difference than using the Mobil 1, but some do feel they get a better response from Amsoil. My gut feeling it is psychological for the latter half.

Can you go wrong with using Amsoil on a test? I have heard no problems from people switching, even on UOA (Universal Oil Analyses).

I currently am using a Mobil 1 5W-30 with a K&N Gold Oil Filter, which I feels traps a lot better than the OEM. I have experimented with other Mobil 1 grades such as 10W-30, 15W-50 and 5W-50. The 5W-50 was very good in the warm weather of summer months, an I do not believe it is available in the states.

Personally, feel that a 5W-40 would do me well, but they do not sell it in Mexico.

My vehicle is a 1999 RX300 AWD.
Old 11-16-04, 08:31 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

thanks for response. I don't feel like going through ordering on the web and stuff, so I would like to know if there is a difference. I guess I will just have to try it.
Old 11-17-04, 12:45 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Amsoil were the first to introduce synthetic oils, and I have to give them a lot of credit. But why switch over when your oil is a lot easier to locate, and more then good enough. Unless you’re a HARDCORE drag racer, the small differences in graphs will not effect you.

Walking into any walmart and buying Mobile 1 > ordering oil online.
Old 11-17-04, 02:07 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm the same as Lexmex.....Mobil 1 5W 30 & either Mobil 1 or K & N gold oil filters. Amsoil is quite a bit more expensive & harder to find. I get a 4.4L jug of Mobil 1 for about $27 Canadian at Walmart.
Old 11-17-04, 05:13 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

that's the biggest drawback - not being able to walk into the store and buy it. How do you like the K&N oil filter? Do you think it is better then OEM filter?
Old 11-17-04, 05:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

The OEM filter is better than most. I also have friend using the Mobil 1 oil filter, that have also had great results.

My reason for continuing to use the K&N is twofold:

1) Easier to take on and put off. It is round, but has a little **** on top you can use a wrench to get it off for lacking of having the SST (Special Service Tool). As you can imagine, I use a local independent mechanic here in Mexico who use to work on Lexuses in the states, but it was a pain the first time we took off the OEM filter, as we had to use a clamp. We all know about that problem in the RXs, because of their filter location.

2) The K&N really traps particles. I have cut several open as have racing buddies who switched from their OEM filters, and you can see a lot more stuff in the K&N than in the OEMs, including my old Lexus OEM.

A small reason, but I cannot prove it, as maybe this is also psychological, but I sense I get a better flow than with the OEM.
Old 11-17-04, 08:24 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Most basic reason to switch to Amsoil is/are claimed extended drain intervals which would, in theory, justify the increased cost. Have seen posts from rabid Amsoil fans (the most ardent of whom always seemed to turn out to be dealer/distributors) who were going 15-20k miles between changes. Fine.

If for some reason you cook your engine, are you going to ask Lexus to warranty replace it when you've not been following intervals specified in your owner's manual? If yes, don't be too surprised if they decline. Priced a Lexus short block lately?

Me, I'll stick with Mobil 1 and 5k intervals. Economical, effective, and I never have to say "I'm sorry I sludged my motor."
Old 11-17-04, 09:54 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Amsoil...any opinions?

Originally posted by audphile1
Currently I am using Mobile1 5W-30 Synthetic oil with OEM oil filter on my 2001 LS430. i change oil about 7,000-7,500 miles depending on how the car was driven in that given interval. I heard lots of good things about Amsoil synthetic motor oil. I went on their website and they are showing some graphs where Mobile1 is totally beat by Amsoil. Is that true or is it just a marketing pitch?
Beware of any snake oil with fantastic claims.

Amsoil is sold through word of mouth for good reason. No reputable store would carry a product with such claims. That's why it is sold in the underground, like cocaine and ecstasy.

Try talk your wife into using Mary Kay and see what her reaction would be.
Old 11-17-04, 04:33 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

that's funny man. I'd not even ask. I guess I'll stick with Mobil1. I have no complaints about it. It's great. Only thing is I was going to try something different. I wasn't going to go 25K without changing oil no matter who guarantees what. Just me. So, the point is, I shouldn't probably even bother with this stuff, cause I ain't going to extend the drain intervals and if I don't, the price of Amsoil is just not justified. Mobil1 it is then with my usual 7K to 7500 mile intervals.
Old 11-17-04, 07:35 PM
oldguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been posted before. WWW.neptune.spacebears.com. Read about their testing of oil.

I use mobil one and oem filter (004) at 7500 miles. As moretorque points out, good insurance just in case. So I stick with factory recommendations.

I should add that I Use the mobil mostly for cold weather starting (Minnesota) and think it is likely overkill. I am sure Amsoil is fine also, but more expensive and harder to get.

Last edited by oldguy; 11-17-04 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-17-04, 09:30 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

thanks oldguy. unfortunately, the link you posted doesn't work 4 me
Old 11-18-04, 02:29 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation

Same here aud, won't work for me either. I also like the K & N filter because of the ease of taking the filter off......both the Mobil 1 & K & N have been excellent.....I found the Toyota filter are close in price to these at least at the Lexus dealers so I'll spend a couple bucks & get one of the 2 aftermarket ones simply because they have great reviews on their filtration abilities which is the most important thing.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 11-18-04 at 02:32 AM.
Old 11-18-04, 10:52 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

I was using K&N filters exsclusively on my '96 LS400. Both air and oil. Found air filter to be pain in the butt, but it did work good. I haven't tried the K&N oil filter on my LS430 yet, simply because I still have about 3 OEM oil filters for it(had opportunity to buy them at $5.00/ea). Once I run out, or may be somewhere in between, I may give K&N a try on my LS430. Thanks for your response guys. This is all very helpful. I just found out that ShopRite here has Mobil1 5w-30 on sale - $4/qt when you buy 5. I will stock up on that today. Pretty good price I think. By the way, where do you usually get K&N oil filter? thanks.
Old 11-18-04, 07:43 PM
oldguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to be less than totally competent on the computer. Let's try this.

http://neptune.spacebears.com

Last edited by oldguy; 11-18-04 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Amsoil...any opinions?