Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Transmission problem (on a 3-YR OLD CAR?!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-04, 09:55 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation Transmission problem (on a 3-YR OLD CAR?!)

OK here's what happened:

It all started about a few days ago when the outside temps have gotten close to freezing numbers, and I began to hear a faint buzzing sound under the hood in my '01 ES (w/ roughly 98,500 miles right now). This buzzing sound can obviously be heard from even inside the car when started up, and the sound would grow louder when driven upon each gear change shift points (i.e. idle to 1st, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc.) To be honest, it really sounds like I'm running a supercharger or turbo in my ES

Anyways, this behavior continued on like it until the middle of today, when the transmission starts hesitating as I downshift when I come to a stop light. The braking is perfectly fine, but when I accelerate, the RPMs would reach higher numbers (around 2K) to get to 1st gear, and then 2nd gear sometimes could not be caught at the right RPM (the needle would climb higher). I'd have to let the foot off the gas pedal just a little bit until the transmission can "catch" that 2nd gear. This is obviously not normal transmission behavior at all! Much as I hated for it to happen, the check engine and TRAC OFF lights came on about 50 miles after I noticed the transmission hesitation

So unfortunately, that's what's going on with the transmission in my ES right now, and I can't believe this is happening on just a freakin' 3 to 4-year old car, aaargh! I plan to go to Autozone first to have the CEL error code checked out before I take it to the dealership. If anyone could pitch in and provide any feedback on what could be causing the buzzing sound under the hood AND the transmission hesitation problem, that'd be much appreciated.

FYI, so far, my "car buddy" friends have said that the timing in the engine computer could be off, or that the transmission filter could be clogged up. I had the tranny fluid changed (drain-and-fill method) about 22,000 miles ago at Lexus, and when I checked it, the fluid is darkish but still has a slight hint of red in it. It doesn't smell burnt either. They have told me that it could be a multitude of possible problems when the transmission acts up like that

Dying for help,
Doug
Old 11-13-04, 10:11 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

there si a module on the trans i think that has something to do with shifting...check that first...is yuou r car still under warranty?
Old 11-13-04, 10:19 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I have extended warranty that covers up to 100K miles. I may have to resort to using it if the fix is over the $100 deductible.
Old 11-13-04, 10:26 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

i would use it...if its still under warranty, take it in, pay the 100 bucks and be done.
Old 11-14-04, 12:10 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Definately, take it in immediately! If you have a warranty, use it! I hate to say it, but what you are describing, in my experience, leads to a dead tranny. Autozone may not be able to pull transmission codes, maybe only engine codes. Likely you have a code for a bad S4 transmission solinoid. I beleive it controls line pressure. My suggestion, take it too the dealer before your warranty is up!
Old 11-14-04, 12:12 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

I went to Autozone today to have the error codes scanned. It turns out I've received the following codes:

P0765 (2x) - Shift Solenoid D Malfunction
P0770 - Shift Solenoid E Malfunction

Why the hell these solenoids suddenly go bad after not even 100K miles?! This is highly unacceptable for a Lexus

Sorry for the venting. It seems the plan is to have the transmission solenoids replaced by the dealership tomorrow (that is, if I'm able to drive my car down there). The ES is already deemed unsafe to drive since I can't go any faster than 40 mph w/out keeping the revs under 3K RPM, and when I put the car into 'P' and shift into either 'R' or 'D', the car just stalls Very dangerous if I'm stuck in the middle of a busy parking lot, so I would have to turn the car off for 10-15 sec, then back on in order to get the car can get properly in gear.

Since Lexus service is gonna get under the transmission to access the solenoids, I may have to tell them to check the filter and see if it's clogged up.

<sigh>
Old 11-14-04, 12:32 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

this repair cannot usually be done on a car the the trans in situ, it will most likely have to be removed. at the very least, it will be MUCH easier to do with the trans out, this is a $2,000 repair, you knwo that right?

i hope the warranty covers it.
Old 11-14-04, 12:47 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by ArmyofOne
this repair cannot usually be done on a car the the trans in situ, it will most likely have to be removed. at the very least, it will be MUCH easier to do with the trans out, this is a $2,000 repair, you knwo that right?

i hope the warranty covers it.
both solinoids are accessed from the bottom. removal of the pan and filter is all that is required. possibly the removal of the valve body as well. fight for a reman transmission.
Old 11-14-04, 02:09 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

DOH!

im used to ford...

you are correct, after reading i realize this, sorry for the misinfo!
Old 11-14-04, 02:45 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug, read the warranty carefully and see if it also covers towing. This will be safest.
Another alternative is to find a friend that has AAA, the tow covers the person, not the car. Have them ride with you. Get your tow covered.

As for the tranny, get it fixed under warranty.
Several other people have posted the same solenoid problem.

As for being mad at Lexus.....hold up a little. You did not purchase the car new and you have no idea how the owner previous treated the tranny. They may have had all the required maint. done on time and by a Lexus dealer, but that doesn't always mean that they didn't stomp it most of the time or weren't hard on the tranny. We would like to think so, but it ain't always the case.

Don't worry, it will work out just fine.

steviej
Old 11-14-04, 03:10 PM
saber
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's fairly normal for the shift control solenoids on electronically controlled Toyota transmissions to need replacing at between 100-200K miles. There is no need to panic and think you need a new transmission (assuming the prior owner did not drive the car abusively) just because the solenoids need replacing because they are a normal wear item. And they don't cost much or take that much time to replace (at least on the rear wheel drive Toyota automatics that I am familiar with).
Old 11-14-04, 04:58 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

i have 141K and still going stong, even with black fluid that was in there when i got it at 138K.

oh, and uhh...

**Knocks on wood**

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 11-14-04 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-14-04, 06:34 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Doug, sound like the solenoids are giving up and those solenoids are located on top of the valve body such as RTcameroSS had stated.

If you still has the extended warranty, then use it and pay the deductible. The warranty company will ask for the line pressure test, stalls test and the color of the fluid. Sometimes ***** happened. Good luck.
Old 11-14-04, 08:16 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by steviej
Doug, read the warranty carefully and see if it also covers towing. This will be safest.
Another alternative is to find a friend that has AAA, the tow covers the person, not the car. Have them ride with you. Get your tow covered.

As for the tranny, get it fixed under warranty.
Several other people have posted the same solenoid problem.

As for being mad at Lexus.....hold up a little. You did not purchase the car new and you have no idea how the owner previous treated the tranny. They may have had all the required maint. done on time and by a Lexus dealer, but that doesn't always mean that they didn't stomp it most of the time or weren't hard on the tranny. We would like to think so, but it ain't always the case.

Don't worry, it will work out just fine.

steviej
steviej, I have Lexus Roadside Assistance (provided by AAA) that's good until 2/05, so that should take care of the towing part if I should need to use it. You're right about not trying to put the blame at Lexus for this partcular problem; I have no clue of what the history is on the tranny, let alone the ES, before I purchased it last year, so who knows how hard the transmission was beaten through.
Originally posted by saber
It's fairly normal for the shift control solenoids on electronically controlled Toyota transmissions to need replacing at between 100-200K miles. There is no need to panic and think you need a new transmission (assuming the prior owner did not drive the car abusively) just because the solenoids need replacing because they are a normal wear item. And they don't cost much or take that much time to replace (at least on the rear wheel drive Toyota automatics that I am familiar with).

That's exactly the info I've read up regarding the Lexus transmission shifting problems. Point well taken

Thanks for the replies everyone. The ES will definitely go into the dealership tomorrow under all circumstances, but I hope they have an available loaner lined up for me (it usually requires at least a few days in advance for reservation around here).
Old 11-15-04, 03:58 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Well this morning, I concluded that my ES is unsafe to drive out on the roads (after the car stalled while getting out of 'D'), so I had the car towed down to the dealership (thanks to Lexus Roadside Assistance). First time I ever had my car towed in, and it was not that bad of an experience since it was done up flatbed style. Had a nice convo with the tow truck driver during the drive.

At the dealership, the service advisor whom I know well treated me fair and conducted all the necessary paperwork (including extended warranty info) w/out any questions or issues. Besides the shift solenoids, I told them to look into the tranny filter and as a side, to check the rear main seal. Without waiting, they gave me a free loaner ES ('01 Graphite Gray Pearl on black interior... one of the most attractive color combos on the ES) I'll keep everyone informed within the next couple of days about the tranny work on my ES (I'm missing it already!).

Here's a shot of my ES getting unloaded at the dealership.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission problem (on a 3-YR OLD CAR?!)-tow-es300.jpg  

Quick Reply: Transmission problem (on a 3-YR OLD CAR?!)