Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Oil Filter Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-04, 01:58 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Oil Filter Removal

Anyone have tips or suggestions for removing the oil filter without leaving a huge mess or minimizing it? Every time I take off the filter, oil from the filter starts coming out the filter (probably due to the anti-drainback valve). It drips down the engine and onto the driveway. Or am I missing something? I do my oil change cold, after a few hours or overnight. Thanks.
Old 11-07-04, 02:31 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I usually get about a tablespoon of oil leak each time I remove the filter. I just keep the catch pan under the oil filter when removed. The biggest tip is get the filter vertical once it releases from the threads. The longer it takes to get it upright, the more oil you'll leak as it drains from the filter.

Other tip...wear latex or nitrile gloves...makes handling an oily filter much easier than if bare handed. Plus I hate smelling oil on my hands and this oil is hard on the skin.
Old 11-07-04, 03:37 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On your GS300, put the dip pan underneath the vehicle. After removing the oil filter use the brake cleaner, clean the crap out of it. This is the only way.
Old 11-07-04, 11:00 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It will be messier, but if you change your oil with the engine still warm, you'll get more dirty oil out of the engine.

With horizontal filters, it's darn near impossible to get a dripless filter swap- resign yourself to that fact and use a drip pan and/or newspapers to protect your driveway.
Old 11-08-04, 12:04 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
It will be messier, but if you change your oil with the engine still warm, you'll get more dirty oil out of the engine.

With horizontal filters, it's darn near impossible to get a dripless filter swap- resign yourself to that fact and use a drip pan and/or newspapers to protect your driveway.
And if you forget to do that, and you spill oil, get some laundry detergent or cat litter to absorb the spill. Luckily the V8 filter is in a "cool" area - it's not by a exhaust pipe or part.
Old 11-08-04, 12:09 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all your tips. I do use latex gloves, newspaper, and turn as fast as I can to get it vertical, but it's really aggravating when it continues to drip after I close the hood and cleanup. I have done ES & GS, both gushers. Oh well...
Old 11-09-04, 12:44 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I have an sc and changing the oil is messy. I find that I can minize the runnig of the oil by turning it quick with one hand and holding about three shop towls underneath of it when removing it. But I dont know if the average person could get both hands down there in that small crawl space surrounding the filter. I can barely get in there and I dont have big hands... the advantages of being an asian female, can do everything a guy can do, and if not, can devise a way to get the job done hehehe
Old 11-09-04, 01:03 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by VVT-i
On your GS300, put the dip pan underneath the vehicle. After removing the oil filter use the brake cleaner, clean the crap out of it. This is the only way.
This is what I do too. Once the brake cleaner gets rid of the spillage, I get no or very minimal dripping. I just keep a piece of cardboard under the car for a day or two and all is good. I also put a big piece of cardboard down during the change.

Latex gloves is also a good idea.
Old 11-09-04, 01:10 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by silkiechic
an asian female, can do everything a guy can do, and if not, can devise a way to get the job done hehehe
My kind of lady.
Old 11-12-04, 09:52 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by silkiechic
Yeah, I have an sc and changing the oil is messy. I find that I can minize the runnig of the oil by turning it quick with one hand and holding about three shop towls underneath of it when removing it. But I dont know if the average person could get both hands down there in that small crawl space surrounding the filter. I can barely get in there and I dont have big hands... the advantages of being an asian female, can do everything a guy can do, and if not, can devise a way to get the job done hehehe
uh oh watch out guys !!
Old 11-13-04, 10:32 AM
Nau
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I do...

I do the following:
Untighten the filter so it rotates freely, then wrap aroun a plastic bag and unscrew the filter completely. All the oil goes in a bag, no spills, no mess.
Try it out, you'll like it, I guarantee
Old 11-13-04, 11:11 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A capital idea!
Old 11-13-04, 11:52 AM
Nau
Driver School Candidate

Thanks
And it's real easy to do
Old 11-14-04, 10:30 PM
grnstreak
Driver School Candidate

huh. Just spray brake clean on the residual oil that drips out. keep it simple!
Old 11-14-04, 10:48 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Neo
My kind of lady.

Haha Too bad your all far away.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Removal