Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

More "Ghosts" Again!

Old 11-03-04, 12:22 PM
bezeeduzit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry More "Ghosts" Again!

OK here is the story...I changed my alternator about a month ago because it was destroyed by my leaking power steering pump. After it was installed for about a week the car functioned fine with no problem. There was no blinking of the headlights or interior lights when i pressed the brakes or when i had the bass from my system cranked up. Then all of a sudden the ghosts were back!

Now again when i press the brakes the dash lights blink and if the headlights are on they blink as well and the radio will pause for about 2-3 seconds. Also if the bass is cranking from my system that causes the light to pulsate as well. The battery has been checked and it supposed to be fine as well as the alternator.

Now what is even worse somtimes i get in the car to start it up, i stick the key in and the lights are dim but when i press the brake while turning the key the car comes to life and starts up. But when it starts i still have the same light blink and radio pause problems. Ive cleaned off the ground connection that is kinda under the battery and it is clean.

I dont know what else to do and im frustrated now and i aint the most mecanically sound guy either. Any suggestions???? Im thinking maybe the battery is malfunctioning? Or maybe the negative battery cable needs to be changed?? The battery i have is only a year old BTW. Help!!!

Also 2 days ago i popped the hood and wiggled my Neg battery cable and i havent been having any problems so far and i have been doing a lot of driving and loud music playing with no symptoms. I am assuming i need to change the cable maybe? Where can i get one and is there a specific one i need??
Sorry for the long post.
Old 11-03-04, 12:54 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey,

I responded to this in the maintenance section where u have the same question posted.

Jonny
Old 11-03-04, 01:08 PM
bezeeduzit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW when i wiggled the neg cable i was moving the cable itself not at the connection. The connection at the terminal is tight and wont budge.
Old 11-03-04, 01:33 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well then get under the car and see if the screw is tight holding the cable. That might very well be your culprit. It is a Philips head.

Peace,
Jonny