Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Two Problems w/92 sc400

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-01, 01:41 PM
banking
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

1. My ac went out this year. It blows out hot air. Had it recharge w/r12 last year and yes there is a leak somewhere. Took it to a local shop and had a dye test done on it. They recharged it with just a half a pound of r12 and since my ac unit would not engage when turned on they couldn't tell where it was leaking from. According to them. They came to the conclusion that it was an electrical problem b/c they said my freon was full and again thats according to them. Before I take it to Lexus I would like to see if I can possibly locate the problem myself. I was told to see if the compressor was still good by jumping from the battery. Then check the relays. Then fix the leaks.
Any suggestions on where the relays are located and how to jump the compressor by the battery?

2. My passenger door will not open whatsoever. I had slammed my door pretty hard one day and a couple of weeks later my passenger window only rolled down halfway until it sounded as if hit the track and it almost sounded as if the window cracked but it didn't. The window still rolls halfway down but cannot open the door from the inside or outside. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any info and sorry about the long thread.
Later
Old 07-30-01, 01:24 PM
messysc
Driver

I heard somewhere that if the little green a\c light on the dash is blinking then the compressor is bad.
Old 07-30-01, 10:56 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

1. Sounds to me like your ac guy didn't really spend too much time trying to diagnose your ac problem. He had 1/2lb of freon in it and it wouldn't engage? You also said he had the system full of freon and it wouldn't engage. Did you here the magnetic clutch click? With the engine off, can you reach down and spin the center portion of the magnetic clutch? This would tell you if the compressor shaft is seized. Does the outer clutch pulley spin freely? Yes you can jump the magnetic clutch, use a thick gauge wire from the battery to the single wire connector going to the magnetic clutch. But don't do it if there is no freon in the ac system. The freon is what moves the ac oil through the system. If you engage the clutch and run it with out oil, could seize the compressor.

Too many things left unchecked, not enough info...

2. You need to remove that door panel and look at the plastic clip that attaches the door lock actuator rod to the outer door handle. If the clip breaks the rod falls to the side. Then when you roll the window down it catches on the rod bending it badly. The clip costs about $2 at the dealer. But if you can't rebend that rod straight, the actuator is expensive and a bit** to replace. If I'm right about this, I would say your door does open but only from the inside not the outside.

Good Luck!

Last edited by DevilDog; 07-30-01 at 10:58 PM.