Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Feeling a little slighted from service experience @ Hennessy

Old 10-28-04, 05:40 AM
maintrain
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Feeling a little slighted from service experience @ Hennessy

I was driving my car last week when all of a sudden the car stopped accelerating, rpm's dropped, VSC and VSC OFF light came on. Pressed the gas harder, lights went off, tranny went in gear car started to drive normally. So I call and make an apointment with Michael to have the issue looked at was well as an issue with my window going up wrong creating annoying wind noise. I had already research the VSC issue on club lexus and everything I read pointed to a wheel speed sensor issue. Drop the car off, about 3 hours later I get a call from Michael saying that I have a frozen caliper which was caused by a corroded caliper pin. As far as the wind noise is concerned, he said the tech could not hear any noise over the tire noise! Well i'm no fool and certainly not crazy. If you roll my driver's side window all the way down and roll it all the way back up IT WILL NOT ROLL BACK UP STRAIGHT! You can see the gap in between the window and the weather stripping thus allowing a far amount air to come through which I can definitely hear over any noise inside the car including the stereo. He proceeds to tell me that in order to fix the caliper problem they would need to do a front brake job (rotors and pads) as well as clean the caliper pin for the grand total of $751!!! I declined on the brake job but allowed them to change the tranny fluid since they said it was dirty. I live almost 2 hours away depending on traffic (macon, ga). So I picked my car up the next day and proceeded to contact my local mechanic to find out what he would charge to install my rotors and pads (rotors $50 pads $35 napa.com) as well as fix the caliper pin issue. He only charge $95. Get everything fixed today, car stops great, caliper not frozen anymore and tonight the car does it AGAIN! Same symptons, stops accelerating, VSC VSC OFF lights illuminate. At this point, I'm starting to question whether on not they checked the wheel speed sensors to see if one was bad. At this point I feel I paid a diagnostic fee ($94) for nothing although i did need the brakes but it did not solve my initial problem. I feel like my window problem was just ignored altogether. This is my second experiece at Hennessy and I enjoyed my first expierience much more. Walter was my advisor first time around and Num (who I had the pleasure of meeting) did the work on my car. As the topic title states, I feel slighted. The reason I why chose to go to Hennessy is because of the recommendations of club memebers. I don't like my local dealer at all. At this point, to drive 2 hours and not have problems diagnosed correctly and others completely ignored will get old very quickly, not to mention having to pay a diagnostic fee everytime I pull into the service lane. As a matter of fact I don't even remember paying a diag fee my first visit. By the way, I have an extended service contract with a $100 deductible which I would now have to pay if in fact one of the wheel speed sensors is bad and if part are needed to fix my window problem. Sorry for the long post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-28-04, 06:55 AM
XYZLexus1
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You got screwed. Do not feel bad 90% of the public does. First call and demand a refund of the diaganostic fee. They misdiagnosed the car. To find a wind noise it is not necessary to drive the car. Put a tone generator in the car and go around the perimiter of each opening and where the tone gets louder you have your leak. Any GM dealership has one, it bewilders me why Lexus does not, they cost about $300.00.

I had work done at my Lexus dealership that I thought was so great. Then I started looking closer. When the replaced the radio with a refurbished radio they stripped 5 of the 9 screws. Missed a bolt in the fender well when they replaced the headlight assembly. I demanded a new radio, I was told none were available only refurbished so it took them three radios before I accpeted the wear around the volume button.

How the hell would a sticking caliber bolt cause you issues, obviously it did not. Lexus mechanics are LESS qualified than other manufactures, The only thing Lexus is good at is saying we apologize we will do it again. He do it right the first time or at least the second. The best warranty is the one you never need!!!!

I have said it before Lexus is legends in their own mind. The RX330 they gave me while fixing/breaking mine leaked oil all over the driveway and rattled like a tin can tied behind a car that has "just married" written on it.
Old 10-28-04, 03:23 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that. I will find out what's going on. Can you PM me your full name?
Thanks
Old 10-29-04, 07:39 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 196 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally posted by XYZLexus1
How the hell would a sticking caliber bolt cause you issues, obviously it did not. Lexus mechanics are LESS qualified than other manufactures, The only thing Lexus is good at is saying we apologize we will do it again. He do it right the first time or at least the second. The best warranty is the one you never need!!!!
What facts is this statement of yours based on? I have always had a very positive experience at my local Lexus dealer.

Lexus mechanics are LESS qualified than other mechanics? Is there a special school that has sub standard courses that only Lexus mechanics go to? What exactly are you saying here? Please stick to facts and don't let your emotions come into play here.
I have said it before Lexus is legends in their own mind. The RX330 they gave me while fixing/breaking mine leaked oil all over the driveway and rattled like a tin can tied behind a car that has "just married" written on it. [/B]
Lexus is legends in their own minds? Very interesting theory bro!

Let's look at the facts that J. D. Power has been reporting over the last decade and find out about this "legend" stuff.

Last edited by Hameed; 10-29-04 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-29-04, 08:43 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

maintrain,

You've got VVT-I working to help you resolve this problem and the maintenance forum of CL isn't really the right spot for Lexus dealer service feedback.

I know you also posted this on SELOC which is a more regionally-focused forum which has a close relationship with the service folks at Hennessy.

I'm going to close this post and let you and VVT-I handle the followup in private.