Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Synthetic vs. Synthetic Blend...

Old 10-15-04, 05:52 PM
saber
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by PitBull
I It's obvious that a synthetic oil that is the correct weight and rated higher then the minimum dino oil that is recommended in your owner manual will do a better job of protecting your investment as long as it is changed at the right interval.
Synthetic provides an "Obviously better job" of protecting the engine? I have a completely different take on that:

For 25 years the American synthetic oil companies have had the opportunity to prove synthetics
substantially reduce engine wear and boost fuel economy yet have failed to do so in all that time.

For 25 years the Asian car company engineers have had the opportunity to evaluate synthetic oils and study oil analysis results and yet to this very day only a very few recommend or use synthetics as the factory fill, even in the $60,000 Lexus's and Infiniti's.

Yes, synthetic is the factory fill in some high performance specialty American and European cars, but none of these vehicles have a reputation for outstanding reliability and durability like nearly all the Asian cars do, so I see no point in mentioning what lubricants are used as the factory fill in Corvettes, Dodge Vipers, Porches, Mercedes's and BMW's.

Now it's true some of the old 60's and 70's Volvo's, Mercedes and even American cars DID have legendary reputations for durability, but those reputations were established when owners were using conventional dino oils.
Old 10-15-04, 06:15 PM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I guess Amsoil, Redline, Fleetguard , etc are all wrong???? Hmmmm… Nevermind the millions and millions on miles on Class 8 trucks that are using the synthetic and going longer? Hmmmm The data is out there if you look. Just because “Asian” cars do not do it, does not mean it does not work.

So far my oil tests show better results them all the dino oil stest I have seen, plus some synthetic oils. That is sooooooo weird.

You are correct but last time I looked into Asian parts of the world, pollution is not on the top of the list, nor is the environment, pay, labor etc. So why change to an expensive oil when most people in that part of the world don’t even have a car, never mind the oil? Then in the USA, most people do not want to spend the extra $$$ for the better oil. So you are going to have some manufacture tell "me" to use some $4.00 qt oil when most users will go to Wal-Mart? The wil see the $4 oil and the $1.4 oil and you know what most will select.

I would not also say Asin cars have outstanding reliability and durability. Based only on what info? All cars have good and bad things.

Example look at Lexus, there cars are always #1 in there class, but look at there “so-called” manual. They are #1 since the car needs to be brought in for every “nickel and dime” thing in the book! It is unreal. They want the car in there every day from rotating tires, lubing rubber on doors, cleaning windows, checking this and that. It should damn well be #1 for the money you spend if you go by the book.

Then the person that just spent over XXXX dollars, gets a survey and loves the car! Well I should hope so since you just spent 10% of the car’s value and it better not break. Can you say that is slightly bias call here…. Another example, people think the airlines are so reliable. They are maintenance hogs. Never mind everything being replaced at xxx hours no matter what.

Again, show me some dino oil test and let the numbers talk. So far dino was outdated 15 years ago. Spend $30K on a high tech car and put dino oil in it. That is like having a million dollar home and then going cheep on the floors.

Last edited by mburnickas; 10-15-04 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-15-04, 08:19 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by saber
Synthetic provides an "Obviously better job" of protecting the engine? I have a completely different take on that:

For 25 years the American synthetic oil companies have had the opportunity to prove synthetics
substantially reduce engine wear and boost fuel economy yet have failed to do so in all that time.

For 25 years the Asian car company engineers have had the opportunity to evaluate synthetic oils and study oil analysis results and yet to this very day only a very few recommend or use synthetics as the factory fill, even in the $60,000 Lexus's and Infiniti's.

Yes, synthetic is the factory fill in some high performance specialty American and European cars, but none of these vehicles have a reputation for outstanding reliability and durability like nearly all the Asian cars do, so I see no point in mentioning what lubricants are used as the factory fill in Corvettes, Dodge Vipers, Porches, Mercedes's and BMW's.

Now it's true some of the old 60's and 70's Volvo's, Mercedes and even American cars DID have legendary reputations for durability, but those reputations were established when owners were using conventional dino oils.
Saber, I would not have a problem using dino and toyota filter with a 5K mile OCI and I am sure that the Lexus would last longer than any of us would want to drive it without any lube problems. It's alway made me feel better about myself to go a little further then the factory recommends. I alway do my first oil change between 1-2K miles then 3K on the next one and then around 4K after that. I did 1K on the wifes 350Z and have done the rest every 3K miles. Can't prove anything but it makes me feel better. Like I've said while under warranty I let the dealer do the service, develops a relationship with the dealer and I've found that I've never had a warranty hassle on any problems. Works for me and it's easy.