Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

I have a bad ground in my wiring most likely.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-04, 06:44 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something quite odd happening...

Alright.. when I brake... the headlights go dim and then I hear a boom in my speakers and then in like a minute its back to normal. Well its not just those two things but all the electrical components go bad for like a second. But I've only noticed it when I brake. Is there somethin wrong with the battery/alternator or is it going to be a much more costly problem? Is it something that could affect safety?
Old 09-07-04, 06:55 PM
legendary
Racer

1 - how many miles on your car?
2 - what do you have installed in your car?
3 - when was the last time battery was replaced?
4 - are terminals corroded?

Answers for you...basically, battery is more than likely partially drained. *POSSIBLE* fault? Alternator not charging battery - which could be caused by leaking power steering pump.

Get @ us
Old 09-07-04, 07:06 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

The car's a 95 with 227k miles. It wasnt acting up like this before when I got it (early June). I went on vacation for a month and it was undriven that whole time and after that its been acting up. The only thing I've done so far is catback exhaust but thats not the problem because it was doing this before the exhaust. I have no idea when the battery was replaced but theres a "Lexus" battery in there so Im guessing its from when it was new. As for the terminals being corroded... I have no idea. There seems to be some rust but I doubt thats the problem.
Old 09-07-04, 07:48 PM
dinh626
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most likely the battery, since you left it for a month or so just sitting......and you recently bought it too correct? Just need to do some maintenance, get things checked out and you should be fine.
Old 09-07-04, 10:40 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Bad ground.

when you apply the brakes it turns the many brake lights on, which sucks current and dims the lights, the reason i know it is a ground is because it takes ground potential away from your speaker ground and allows the amp to pop from having the ground taken away at the moment. clean the batt terminals and check the ground on the block also. remember to check the wire going INTO the terminal as well as the terminal itself.

This will fix it, you have a bad ground.
Old 09-15-04, 08:13 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by O. L. T.
Bad ground.

when you apply the brakes it turns the many brake lights on, which sucks current and dims the lights, the reason i know it is a ground is because it takes ground potential away from your speaker ground and allows the amp to pop from having the ground taken away at the moment. clean the batt terminals and check the ground on the block also. remember to check the wire going INTO the terminal as well as the terminal itself.

This will fix it, you have a bad ground.
Sure enough, it was corrosion in the terminals. You're a mod for a reason. Thanks alot man.
Old 12-05-04, 05:07 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

I'm having the same problems again. Cleaning the terminals worked the first time. I checked the terminals and they seem clean to me.
Old 12-05-04, 06:22 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, Id highly recommend replacing your negative battery terminal with a new one. I just did mine and it helped so much with the "dimming lights", although my problem wasnt that bad to begin with. Just go to your local car store, and buy a Marine battery terminal. Costs about $3 and should take a minute to install. The stock negative terminal is so puny compared to my new one.